Pulling wicks?

Okay, I'll be the Village Idiot here.  

While researching here, I've seen several pics of test candles poured without wicks.  So far, I've been testing with wicks as they would normally be used - glued to the bottom, etc.

Should I just be pouring wax and then sticking different wicks into it to test?  How do I do this?  Or, is there another way?  (I feel like such a dummy!) :embarassed2:

Sometimes I pull a wick with needle nose pliers if it is way, way off and stuff a new one in to test. The problem comes when they shift and tip over.

I think the practice began with stiffer wax like for a pillar. The loose wicks sure are not "safe" in containers like a secured wick. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Sometimes I pull a wick with needle nose pliers if it is way, way off and stuff a new one in to test. The problem comes when they shift and tip over.

I think the practice began with stiffer wax like for a pillar. The loose wicks sure are not "safe" in containers like a secured wick. 

Oh, I see!  Thanks, TallTayl! :)

Needle Nose pliers are a girl's best friend.  I have a pair that I keep in my junk drawer and all family members have been educated to the fact that if those pliers are not where I left them when I need them that they not only risk dis-inheritance but also castration....enough said!!!   :-)

• Haha 1

I read folks here pouring without wicks so I started testing like this. I like it for initial testing. I can pour wax and wait until cure is done before I have to decide what wicks to test. Then if a wick is a dud, you just pull it out and pop in a different one. It doesn’t work well one the melt pool gets deep or near the bottom of the container. The wick can easily tilt. I lost a bunch of wicks at the end of a test this way. I think if they were secured not all of them would have failed. Also easier to clean out jars for retesting. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Dorothy Mantooth said:

I read folks here pouring without wicks so I started testing like this. I like it for initial testing. I can pour wax and wait until cure is done before I have to decide what wicks to test. Then if a wick is a dud, you just pull it out and pop in a different one. It doesn’t work well one the melt pool gets deep or near the bottom of the container. The wick can easily tilt. I lost a bunch of wicks at the end of a test this way. I think if they were secured not all of them would have failed. Also easier to clean out jars for retesting. 

I test mine the same way without a wick tab.  Granted when you get down to the bottom that wick is going to fall over...but it is still a good enough test to burn about 3/4 of the candle with the wick upright as I can tell from the whole burning process if that is a good choice wick or not.

Trappeur

• Like 1