Favorite oil in sugar scrub?

Barefootgirl

HI everyone 😊

Decided to try my hand at sugar scrubs finally. I'm going to make emulsified sugar scrubs. However, I'm undecided on which base oil (or blend) to add. Thought I'd ask here to get some recommendations. Thanks!

Edited by Barefootgirl
Darn auto correct

I plan on making an emulsifying one using the traditional version of the emulsifying wax from Wholesale Supplies Plus. Leaning towards Safflower oil as the main oil possibly.  Really am not familiar with too many oils tbh. Was researching KoKum butter as a possible addition too. 

Although I haven't made the type of scrubs you are making, I've made molded bath/shower salts and have read that grapeseed oil is less likely to leave residue in the tub.  I finally bought some and now need to test that aspect of it, as I've previously used apricot kernel oil.

for shelf life, you will want to lean toward fractionated coconut oil, jojoba, etc. You'll probably want one with little to no scent of its own (fractionated coco or jojoba again).

grape seed has a VERY short shelf life (up 6 months from when bottle is opened). It smells like death as it begins to go off.... ditto sesame, canola, rapeseed, corn, soy.

in an emulsified scrub, you will also want to use solid oils/butters to keep it feeling as users expect. Cocoa butter, mango butter, palm kernel oil, and others with a good amount of stearic will give it that stiffness and help it maintain a good texture in warm conditions.

you may also want to consider cetyl alcohol, stearic acid, or similar etholyxated oils for that expensive feel without the expensive price. soy wax that is skin safe (not all blends are) might be another option to give that stiff, fluffy scrub feel.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TallTayl said:

for shelf life, you will want to lean toward fractionated coconut oil, jojoba, etc. You'll probably want one with little to no scent of its own (fractionated coco or jojoba again).

grape seed has a VERY short shelf life (up 6 months from when bottle is opened). It smells like death as it begins to go off.... ditto sesame, canola, rapeseed, corn, soy.

in an emulsified scrub, you will also want to use solid oils/butters to keep it feeling as users expect. Cocoa butter, mango butter, palm kernel oil, and others with a good amount of stearic will give it that stiffness and help it maintain a good texture in warm conditions.

you may also want to consider cetyl alcohol, stearic acid, or similar etholyxated oils for that expensive feel without the expensive price. soy wax that is skin safe (not all blends are) might be another option to give that stiff, fluffy scrub feel.

What are your thoughts on Hempseed oil used in sugar scrubs? It has a good shelf life but I've never used this oil or any containing it. My fear is the scent will not mix well with FO. 

10 hours ago, birdcharm said:

Although I haven't made the type of scrubs you are making, I've made molded bath/shower salts and have read that grapeseed oil is less likely to leave residue in the tub.  I finally bought some and now need to test that aspect of it, as I've previously used apricot kernel oil.

From what I've read the emulsifying wax addition is suppose to help with the leftover oil residue. My understanding is once water mixes with the scrub it forms almost into a lotion. It's suppose to rinse off your skin lovely too leaving a light moisturize effect behind. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, birdcharm said:

Well, you all went and made me want to make some of these now ... :)

I have FCO and I ordered emulsifying wax last week for my creams (personal use), so I'm feeling an experiment headed my way!

Grabs really are fun. Add a few hard butters in there so that the texture stays firm. Otherwise it's a sloppy goopy mess.   I lwill be whipping it into a gorgeous thick scrubby cream.