Need to find an oil...

Clear Black

Im experimenting with making some batches of water beads. Naturally oil and water dont play well together so my first test batch of fragrance oil and distilled water didnt go very far. I knew this of course, but still wanted to test and see if I could get them to play enough together to incorporate into the water beads. NOPE.

So, my next best guess is to just find some sort of oil to use as a carrier for the fragrance oil. This is where I need your help.  

* Looking for an oil that is clear, odorless and about the same viscosity as tap water.  Something that is also inexpensive as it will just be acting as a carrier for the FO.  I dont know much about grapeseed oil or any other oils so thats why im here asking. 

Any help locating an oil that is as close to water as you can, please let me know. Thanks.

Have you tried any surfactants to get the oil in the water to blend? A surfactant reduces the electrical charge of the oil and water so polarity is no longer a factor.

Otherwise if you're set on an oil you can't beat fractionated coconut oil. It is MCT or medium chain triglycerides at places like soap suppliers. Super long shelf life. One of the lightest oils. Colorless. Practically odorless. Not sure if it will adsorb into the water beads though.

8 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Have you tried any surfactants to get the oil in the water to blend? A surfactant reduces the electrical charge of the oil and water so polarity is no longer a factor.

Otherwise if you're set on an oil you can't beat fractionated coconut oil. It is MCT or medium chain triglycerides at places like soap suppliers. Super long shelf life. One of the lightest oils. Colorless. Practically odorless. Not sure if it will adsorb into the water beads though.

No im not set on it being an oil, wasnt sure if there was another method. But as Marla pointed out, maybe Poly-20 would work.

5 hours ago, MarlaSinger said:

Adding Polysorbate 20 would probably work

Any idea what % to add the Poly-20 in at?

On 10/7/2017 at 9:36 PM, Clear Black said:

No im not set on it being an oil, wasnt sure if there was another method. But as Marla pointed out, maybe Poly-20 would work.

Any idea what % to add the Poly-20 in at?

It is typically used in a 1:1 ratio with your fragrance oil. Mix the two together well and then add in your water. Note that a lot of FOs will turn the mixture white/milky when using P20.

Another option is Fragrance & Essential Oil modifier from WSP. This one does not turn white when used correctly and works the same way (binds your oil & water), however the ratio is 4 parts modifier to 1 part FO. And this really only pertains to body products but as a side note, when you use poly 20 you have to list it as an ingredient; when you use the modifier you don't because it is considered part of your proprietary fragrance formula and therefore is just listed as "fragrance" in your ingredients. ;) 

If given the choice, I prefer the modifier because it remains clear when I make room & body sprays.

10 hours ago, MarlaSinger said:

It is typically used in a 1:1 ratio with your fragrance oil. Mix the two together well and then add in your water. Note that a lot of FOs will turn the mixture white/milky when using P20.

Another option is Fragrance & Essential Oil modifier from WSP. This one does not turn white when used correctly and works the same way (binds your oil & water), however the ratio is 4 parts modifier to 1 part FO. And this really only pertains to body products but as a side note, when you use poly 20 you have to list it as an ingredient; when you use the modifier you don't because it is considered part of your proprietary fragrance formula and therefore is just listed as "fragrance" in your ingredients. ;) 

If given the choice, I prefer the modifier because it remains clear when I make room & body sprays.

Its really a matter of cost. I use the modifier in my room spray but its a bit pricey. The p20 looks more cost effective when making water beads

You could also try alcohol.

Alcohol will help solubilize the fragrance to a degree  (think eau de parfume), and it will help make the fragrance more volatile so it travels in the air better. As a bonus, it acts as a preservative if you use enough (20%+ alcohol in the total water/alcohol/fragrance blend). 

For a test, you can try simple vodka. That will give you an inexpensive idea if the alcohol has merit. You can blend poly20 with water and alcohol. 

For sale perfumers alcohol that contains Bitrex is advised to keep the ATF off your tail (unless you posess a license to sell potable alcohol).