I received my order from American Soy last week. I ordered a 10 lb bag of Pillar/votive wax for wax melts and I also ordered several 2 oz FO's. One thing I noticed off the bat was

that the wax pellets had a slight smell while melting. I noticed it more as it was melting than once fully melted another was it dries shiny. Also the CT was ok but Ive gotten

much better CT from 464 or a blend of waxes Ive used for wax melts. Ive used other pillar waxes and I don't recall them being shiny ? Does anyone here use American Soy,

what do you think of this wax or any of they're waxes ( Millennium or Container wax )  My absolute favorite FO's I received were - Lemon Cheesecake - this is the first 

cheesecake FO that I can actually smell the graham cracker crust. It smells delicious. Oatmeal Cookie is good too, to my nose smells sorta like RE Grandmas Cupboard 

Orange - Also very good, it smells like fresh squeezed OJ + that natural sweet scent the OJ has . Firewood - Its not bad but its not what I was expecting either. It doesn't 

have that burning log smell. I believe its a HB Type. Its a tad cologne -y IMO but not too bad but I think I prefer ones that smell more like actual fire logs. 

Bourbon Pumpkin Cake - I don't get much cake but I do smell the bourbon + a little pumpkin. I didn't get much of a CT from this one :( 

Eucalyptus Lavender - Not sure what I was expecting but I don't get much lavender + the euc is not anything thing euc EO - at all . This is more of a relaxing type scent .

I was planning on mixing some of the orange with the euc/lavender so I'll see how it turns out. @Trappeur you mentioned Candle Soylutions has a great Lemon cheesecake 

Its a EL FO so I believe its the same one I have from American Soy since they sell EL FO + Millennium wax. If anyone uses their Millennium or container wax  do they also

dry shiny and any issues with CT ? The packing was stellar and shipped super fast :) 

The pillar and votive wax was the only wax you ordered?

I made one batch so far with only one Scent and I had my respirator on so I didn't smell anything while it was melting 

cold throw is okay and it does have a good hot throw that lasts a long time....so far, again I only have done one Scent 

it is shinier than other soys which I don't care for but it does pop right out of the clamshells 

the millennium is also shiny in containers- it sets up beautifully and the throw is okay, I need to make more before I totally judge this wax 

the Midwest container with the soy modifier I had high hopes for, it looked and burned more like my 415 but the last 3 scents I made I got nothing as far as throw 🤷‍♀️

I haven't tried their oils yet in wax to comment on those but oob most I got are lovely 

48 minutes ago, Moonstar said:

I received my order from American Soy last week. I ordered a 10 lb bag of Pillar/votive wax for wax melts and I also ordered several 2 oz FO's. One thing I noticed off the bat was

that the wax pellets had a slight smell while melting. I noticed it more as it was melting than once fully melted another was it dries shiny. Also the CT was ok but Ive gotten

much better CT from 464 or a blend of waxes Ive used for wax melts. Ive used other pillar waxes and I don't recall them being shiny ? 

Has your other pillar waxes been paraffin, or a paraffin blend.

Just sounds like there is more paraffin in this pillar wax than in others you have used.

All of my pillar and votive wax is pretty shiny.

As for throw, another reason, is 464 is a container wax - which I have found container waxes usually do throw much better than pillar waxes do. This is why when I make my melts, I do a blend of pillar/container waxes. Pillar for the hardness of the wax, and container for the throw. 

2 hours ago, Jcandleattic said:

Has your other pillar waxes been paraffin, or a paraffin blend.

Just sounds like there is more paraffin in this pillar wax than in others you have used.

All of my pillar and votive wax is pretty shiny.

As for throw, another reason, is 464 is a container wax - which I have found container waxes usually do throw much better than pillar waxes do. This is why when I make my melts, I do a blend of pillar/container waxes. Pillar for the hardness of the wax, and container for the throw. 

According to American Soy they are all soy waxes none are blended with paraffin. The millennium wax says it has some veggies waxes to help with smoother tops

and the pillar wax says 100% Natural Stabilized Soy Wax. The description says the wax performs like paraffin so IDK . Now Ive used the tart/votive from Flaming

and RE as is on its own and both had a good CT. I like my own blends best for wax melts. I agree that container waxes do throw much better. Now I regret buying 

this one, its was expensive like the Millennium wax they carry. I should have just bought the container wax and added to that one :( Oh well !

http://store.americansoywax.com/Candle-Making_c_30.html

2 minutes ago, Moonstar said:

According to American Soy they are all soy waxes none are blended with paraffin.

I realized that after I posted, that the name of the company was American SOY so it probably wouldn't have been paraffin. 

Sorry, IDK how to help or why it's shiny or doesn't throw, I've never used it. 

• Thanks 1

@Moonstar, thanks for your scent reviews!  I think someone else may have mentioned the Lemon Cheesecake here at some point.  I might try that one day! 

I took a look at the wax you're using (I think this is it) ... to dull the finish, I guess you need to pour at a cool temperature.

This is from the page I was looking at ...

P-100 Ultimate Pillar Blend

You can create a rustic mottled candle by pouring cooler, and a shiny sophisticated candle by pouring hotter.

Melt wax to 180 degrees F

Let cool to 170 degrees F and add fragrance
    Pour right away for smooth finish, or cool to 145 degrees for mottled effect.
    Let cool for 48 hours prior to burning.

This wax can be fragranced to 12% or higher, but be sure to use fragrances with flashpoints above 190 degrees for maximum performance in your candle. 

Always test your wicks in your candles.

~~~~

(Note: I don't see flashpoints listed for their scents.)

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, moonshine said:

The pillar and votive wax was the only wax you ordered?

I made one batch so far with only one Scent and I had my respirator on so I didn't smell anything while it was melting 

cold throw is okay and it does have a good hot throw that lasts a long time....so far, again I only have done one Scent 

it is shinier than other soys which I don't care for but it does pop right out of the clamshells 

the millennium is also shiny in containers- it sets up beautifully and the throw is okay, I need to make more before I totally judge this wax 

the Midwest container with the soy modifier I had high hopes for, it looked and burned more like my 415 but the last 3 scents I made I got nothing as far as throw 🤷‍♀️

I haven't tried their oils yet in wax to comment on those but oob most I got are lovely 

As far as wax goes, yes, I only ordered the Pillar/votive wax. It states that it can be used as a tart wax. I had high hopes because it was described as performing like

a paraffin wax. So which wax did you try that had a good hot throw, container or millennium ? 

5 minutes ago, birdcharm said:

but be sure to use fragrances with flashpoints above 190 degrees for maximum performance in your candle. 

~~~~

UGH - it is so irritating when SUPPLIERS don't know what the F flashpoint is. Makes me crazy, and quite honestly makes me incredibly angry when I see stuff like this coming from a supplier. They of ALL people should know better! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, birdcharm said:

@Moonstar, thanks for your scent reviews!  I think someone else may have mentioned the Lemon Cheesecake here at some point.  I might try that one day! 

I took a look at the wax you're using (I think this is it) ... to dull the finish, I guess you need to pour at a cool temperature.

This is from the page I was looking at ...

P-100 Ultimate Pillar Blend

You can create a rustic mottled candle by pouring cooler, and a shiny sophisticated candle by pouring hotter.

Melt wax to 180 degrees F

Let cool to 170 degrees F and add fragrance
    Pour right away for smooth finish, or cool to 145 degrees for mottled effect.
    Let cool for 48 hours prior to burning.

This wax can be fragranced to 12% or higher, but be sure to use fragrances with flashpoints above 190 degrees for maximum performance in your candle. 

~~~~

Yup, its the right one. I noticed the same thing - no flashpoints listed. Also, I didn't see about pouring cool or hot for different looks - so thanks for pointing that out :) 

The Lemon Cheesecake is reallyyyy good you should try it. Im wondering if I should try mixing the Pillar Blend with a container wax ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Moonstar said:

Yup, its the right one. I noticed the same thing - no flashpoints listed. Also, I didn't see about pouring cool or hot for different looks - so thanks for pointing that out :) 

The Lemon Cheesecake is reallyyyy good you should try it. Im wondering if I should try mixing the Pillar Blend with a container wax ?

Honestly, unless you are shipping their FO's you don't really need to know what the flashpoints are. They are meaningless for anything except shipping regulations, and gel candles, (but even then it's mostly because of polarity and nothing else) 

Flashpoint has literally LITERALLY nothing to do with when you should add FO, how much FO to add,. what temp to add FO at, NOTHING. And suppliers of all people SHOULD KNOW THIS, and stop equating flashpoint with all the other BS crap they associate it with. 

• Like 3

This seems to be some new sort of wax according to their page.  I don't know why they feel a reason to list in their guidelines for use about the flashpoint, but I don't know this new wax of theirs either.  Perhaps, as with gel candles, the oil migrates in this wax ...?  If that is true, then I understand completely why they would say something about the flashpoint.  Maybe with this particular new soy/pillar (without any paraffin), there is a reason they've said that ...?  I don't know, but unless I know more specifics about their new P-100, I would follow the guideline. 

Maybe their new wax has some attributes that are different and require scents with a higher flashpoint ... I guess someone needs to ask them what's up.

1 hour ago, Jcandleattic said:

But the only reason flashpoint is important in gel candles is to avoid cloudiness. This new wax I'm sure is not clear, or made of 90% mineral oil like gel wax is, so again, flashpoint has no bearing... 

First, I'd like to say that I personally feel that their soy pillar wax probably does not allow scent to sink.  Yet, they have put this precaution in place for some reason.  It could be for some sort of safety consideration that we're just not understanding; or, maybe, it's for some other reason or no good reason!  It's hard to tell. 

Regarding gel candles and flashpoint ... the flashpoint doesn't have so much to do with clouding ... what prevents that is using a non-polar scent.  I think the reason a high flashpoint is recommended for those has more to do with any accumulation of scent that may sink to the bottom of the candle.  Let's say you use a polar scent that has a low f/p in a gel candle (which did not happen to cloud it) and over time the scent sinks, then when the candle gets to the bottom, there is too much scent at the bottom of the candle ... then there's a problem. 

So, what I'm saying is that perhaps this wax allows for scent drift somehow, or they have determined that it can sink ...?  In this case, a higher f/p oil would be safer.  Or, it could be that their f/p note doesn't have anything to do with anything.  What is really off is to have a note like that on the wax page and then not list the f/p's on the scent page.  It's not making sense.

4 hours ago, Moonstar said:

As far as wax goes, yes, I only ordered the Pillar/votive wax. It states that it can be used as a tart wax. I had high hopes because it was described as performing like

a paraffin wax. So which wax did you try that had a good hot throw, container or millennium ? 

It was the pillar votive wax that throws the best 

the containers are blah - still testing but super impressed so far 

the votive pillar throws on its own pretty good but I'm going to blend it with 415 to see if I can eliminate the shine and get better throw 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, moonshine said:

It was the pillar votive wax that throws the best 

the containers are blah - still testing but super impressed so far 

the votive pillar throws on its own pretty good but I'm going to blend it with 415 to see if I can eliminate the shine and get better throw 

So your making wax melts with the pillar wax and getting good CT + HT ? @birdcharm  posted the votive wax directions : pour cooler for matte + hotter for shiny.

Are you testing with their oils ? Your super impressed with what, the votive /pillar wax ? Im wondering what Im doing wrong ? Maybe I'll send you some of the wax

melts Im making so I can get an opinion from you. Sometimes I swear I think my nose doesn't work ? 

I meant to say I'm NOT super impressed with either container wax so far 

the votive and pillar wax so far is good cold and hot but I haven't tried their oils yet only one from WSP that I use all the time 

I don't like the shine with the pillar and votive and am going to blend it with 415 to see if it helps - I did pour cool because I use clamshells and it still to shiny for me, I'm thinking those directions would work better in cold metal votive or tart molds 

On 10/6/2017 at 2:18 PM, Jcandleattic said:

UGH - it is so irritating when SUPPLIERS don't know what the F flashpoint is. Makes me crazy, and quite honestly makes me incredibly angry when I see stuff like this coming from a supplier. They of ALL people should know better! 

Okay, so I asked them to explain it. 

Message to them:

Re: http://store.americansoywax.com/P-100-Ultimate-VotivePillar-Blend-10lb-bag_p_431.html
Some conversation has come up in regard to your P-100 wax and the use of fragrance oil.
Can you please further our knowledge regarding the recommendation about using a 190dF flashpoint fragrance oil with this wax?

• Thanks 1

I have received a reply ... here is the explanation:

Scent might drift of sink a bit in the soy wax due to its components.
We recommend heating the P-100 to 160°F then adding fragrance oil.
It is best to let the wax cool down as much as possible before pouring
in order to allow the fragrance to settle in between the crystals of wax.
That should take care of the drifting or sinking of the fragrance notes.

Boy oh boy....these new wax posts are unbelievable....What a mess....My heart goes out to ALL OF YOU!

I'm staying in my own little world and stick with my 464 and just figure out the new wick sizing.....I'm lucky after reading all the posts of disgust from everyone.  I  don't know....this seems like such a nightmare from what I can tell from reading posts. I could never go through what you all are going through.  I would have to hang up the candle works and move on to something else....

On another note I see posts of where the waxes are a shiny finish and that seems to be a problem?   I am always the odd ball one...but I think shiny wax is gorgeous!  I would rather have my wax shiny than dull.  Why don't so many NOT want shininess?  Is that really a problem if your candle produces a nice sheen?

Trappeur

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TallTayl said:

What is drifting? Another word for sinking? Aka, not mixing properly into the wax?

Maybe it means that unlike a hard wax like paraffin, softer soy wax doesn't trap the scent in place as well. 

I just wanted to say that in quoting their reply, there was a cordial beginning/end to their message, but I only posted the part with the specifics as an actual cut/pasted quote (although I probably should have fixed a typo for them, oh well!)  They were very nice and also mentioned that they will be posting the flashpoints of their oils on their website. 

It's interesting to note that they did say "soy wax" as in soy wax period, not just this type.  So, should this be a consideration?  I'm not sure.  Most of the scents I use are around 170dF or over, but I do have some that I like that are under, which now makes me wonder if I should use them in straight soy.

As for a shine finish ... Trappeur ... you're not alone!  I much prefer a shiny candle!

On 10/9/2017 at 4:01 PM, birdcharm said:

I have received a reply ... here is the explanation:

Scent might drift of sink a bit in the soy wax due to its components.
We recommend heating the P-100 to 160°F then adding fragrance oil.
It is best to let the wax cool down as much as possible before pouring
in order to allow the fragrance to settle in between the crystals of wax.
That should take care of the drifting or sinking of the fragrance notes.

I still maintain that the flashpoint of an FO has no bearing on when/how to add the fragrance. 

That explanation is a good one on why to add fragrance when/how you should add it, but again, has nothing to do with flashpoint. 

1 hour ago, Jcandleattic said:

I still maintain that the flashpoint of an FO has no bearing on when/how to add the fragrance. 

That explanation is a good one on why to add fragrance when/how you should add it, but again, has nothing to do with flashpoint. 

The manufacturer is recommending that fragrance oil with a flashpoint over 190dF be used in their wax, stating that this is due to possible sinking of the scent.  So, with this being the case, they are specifically addressing the flashpoint and posting a guideline for particular scents that should/should not be used with their wax.  I don't know if this is a good guideline to use with all soy waxes, but they seem to feel that scent can drift/sink in soy wax.

1 minute ago, birdcharm said:

The manufacturer is recommending that fragrance oil with a flashpoint over 190dF be used in their wax, stating that this is due to possible sinking of the scent.  So, with this being the case, they are specifically addressing the flashpoint and posting a guideline for particular scents that should/should not be used with their wax.  I don't know if this is a good guideline to use with all soy waxes, but they seem to feel that scent can drift/sink in soy wax.

Sooooooo, this leads me to believe they know something.... their wax has had issues with igniting. 

Lemon verbena from candle science a while back had a problem with the top of the candle surface igniting. I think it was from syneresis (or the squeezing out of the fragrance by the wax). Entire surfaces of the candle were a flame. It was a mess.

8 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Sooooooo, this leads me to believe they know something.... their wax has had issues with igniting .....

Maybe they did some testing with low flashpoint oils and there were some safety concerns. 

Do you feel we should consider this when purchasing oils?