Testing Hell

Is Testing Hell a place? I think I might be there. I've had this year's 415 for over 2 weeks now and I am just realizing the enormity of testing every single thing. This is the first time in over 10 years I've had to retest across the board. I run 75- 100 fragrances and about a dozen different containers. So far, I have focused on my fundraiser orders, which in itself, doesn't seem overwhelming. Wicking down one size has been good for most, but of course a couple of fragrances struggle and one is too hot, so starting over with them. I've used almost a whole case for testing, boo. Thanks for letting me vent. Suggestions?

43 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

I hate to laugh, but moonshine and I have been going through the exact same thing since April.  Just know I am laughing with you and not at you. One day I will share a photo of all of the failed tests.

It's OK, you can laugh, hopefully I will be able to join you soon. :) Thankfully, I'm still getting a good HT, even on the ones that are struggling.

1 hour ago, TallTayl said:

I hate to laugh, but moonshine and I have been going through the exact same thing since April.  Just know I am laughing with you and not at you. One day I will share a photo of all of the failed tests.

Hahah - I have a weeks worth of taking photos of fails 🤣

Edited by moonshine

All I can say is Keep on keeping on...

I am running a series of tests adding additives to see if it tames the burn enough to be able to keep my normal wicking in place and not lose more ht than I already have - otherwise I will be testing every single Scent over as well but with only 2 jars thankfully - wicking down 1 size is working so far in the ones I have done but I am hoping the additives work consistently to keep the norm in place 

your lucky you haven't lost ht....I have and normal wicking is causing my wicks to droop into the wax and curl up as one- it's disgusting and frustrating 

1 hour ago, TallTayl said:

3 minutes ago, moonshine said:

All I can say is Keep on keeping on...

I am running a series of tests adding additives to see if it tames the burn enough to be able to keep my normal wicking in place and not lose more ht than I already have - otherwise I will be testing every single Scent over as well but with only 2 jars thankfully - wicking down 1 size is working so far in the ones I have done but I am hoping the additives work consistently to keep the norm in place 

your lucky you haven't lost ht....I have and normal wicking is causing my wicks to droop into the wax and curl up as one- it's disgusting and frustrating 

Absolutely very thankful to still have my HT, that is the only thing keeping me from a total meltdown right now, and the fact that I don't have time for it. Right now I am only testing 2 jars, so it's simple enough, but soooo time consuming.

On another note, lovely horse in your pic, what kind?

48 minutes ago, ComfortandJoy said:

As I've said before, my heart goes out to all of you dealing with this recent horror with soy wax.  I'm in my own testing hell with learning, but I'm new to all of this.  I can't imagine having an established business and going through this. *shudder*

I actually told my husband today that I would quit if I could. I'm over 10 years in with an established clientele, and we depend on it, so I guess I'll soldier on, lol.

46 minutes ago, Lighten Up said:

Absolutely very thankful to still have my HT, that is the only thing keeping me from a total meltdown right now, and the fact that I don't have time for it. Right now I am only testing 2 jars, so it's simple enough, but soooo time consuming.

On another note, lovely horse in your pic, what kind?

Thank you he is a quarter horse bred from the finest and then neglected pretty much left to die 

we rescued him for a temporary time period so the owner could get her crap together and he went home a couple years ago 😔

His name is Arthur and did my daughter well through her equestrian years after we brought  him back from the half dead 

Edited by moonshine
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, moonshine said:

Thank you he is a quarter horse bred from the finest and then neglected pretty much left to die 

we rescued him for a temporary time period so the owner could get her crap together and he went home a couple years ago 😔

His name is Arthur and did my daughter well through her equestrian years after we brought  him back from the half dead 

Well, he's a beauty, and what a blessing for you all to have saved him and given him his life back.

• Like 1

This is so sad...

I really feel for those that have built a business with these different waxes..

i wish all of you the best of luck with your testing.

but you all are keeping such a jovial attitude. I admire you..

i have about 20 fragrances that I also spent months testing, just to have for my own use and give as gifts.

I started making my first candles about 10 years ago.

And to be truthful, I don't know if I have the heart to start over retesting.

I just may use up my remaining fragrances, into melts..

18 minutes ago, 8-GRAN-ONES said:

This is so sad...

I really feel for those that have built a business with these different waxes..

i wish all of you the best of luck with your testing.

but you all are keeping such a jovial attitude. I admire you..

i have about 20 fragrances that I also spent months testing, just to have for my own use and give as gifts.

I started making my first candles about 10 years ago.

And to be truthful, I don't know if I have the heart to start over retesting.

I just may use up my remaining fragrances, into melts..

I don't know about the jovial attitude, I might be ready to snap. I did get some good burns today and I'm playing around with wicks. I think my business will be down 1/3 to 1/2 this year as I don't have the selection to promote. I do have a few hundred lbs. of last year's wax to fall back on, so that gives me a little wiggle room. I am also reevaluating my fragrances(prob 100 tested) and jars(of course I just ordered a pallet) and will def have to scale back. I am a little sick to my stomach right now.

Can I ask what it is about the wax that has changed? I started making candles 2 years ago and didn't really have any wick issues, took time off to have a baby and now I am back in the swing and I can't for the life of me find a wick that doesn't flicker and bounce. I'm using C3 and FO from Candlewic. I typically use 1oz of FO to 1-1.5 lbs of wax. I gave up on trying to wick the 7.75oz frosted tumblers I loved so much and have been sticking to 4oz and 8oz tins. I've tried HTP (93, 104, 105, 1212), RRD (34, 47, 55), CDN (8, 10) wicks and keep sizing down and down and STILL get a least some bouncing/flickering when I test. HT and CT are both great, MP seems appropriate, although doesn't always go wall-to-wall in the appropriate amount of time (as in it takes much longer than it should). Really tired of seeing this bouncing flame :(

Any thoughts? Anyone having the same problem? Thoughts on wood wicks? Is a certain amount of flickering/bouncing ok as long as it isn't constant?

I had to take a deep breath, after much cussing and swearing, and consider my wax a New Wax that I was just beginning to test.  It's the only thing that got me through, literally if this happens again next year I'll be totally over it.  I had an order for wedding candles in those cute little love masons and thought I'd be bald by the end of testing.  Definitely done with weddings.

Now that I've figured this jar out I think it's the only one I'll sell *deadhorse*

26 minutes ago, kandlekrazy said:

I had to take a deep breath, after much cussing and swearing, and consider my wax a New Wax that I was just beginning to test.  It's the only thing that got me through, literally if this happens again next year I'll be totally over it.  I had an order for wedding candles in those cute little love masons and thought I'd be bald by the end of testing.  Definitely done with weddings.

Now that I've figured this jar out I think it's the only one I'll sell *deadhorse*

Which wax are you using?

23 hours ago, GoldieMN said:

@kandlekrazy Those little jars had to be put aside to work on my pints which I am still struggling with hot throw.  Do you mind sharing what wick worked for you?

GoldieMN

LX 12 so far with the scents I needed for this project.  Haven't tested all I want to use in these jars.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it  soy wax across the board that has changed that much?  Does anyone know what about it changed?  I am struggling with this same type of thing with KY125.  I have used this wax for over 10 years and even with the challenges of soy don't remember struggling this much over wicking.  Like RoxWix no matter what wick I use I get bounce and flicker. I currently only sell one size jar.  I was using 8oz square masons, but when Walmart came out with their 8oz square canning jar I changed to that.  Shipping on the others was costing me more than the jars themselves.  Haven't been able to get a proper burn no matter what wick.  It's so frustrating.  I had to take some time away from the business side.  I am finally able to get it back going and I am floored by the difficulties.  I was so used to using larger wicks and had wonderful burns and candles...now it seems I have to wick much smaller.  I am feeling your pain as well. Just not sure what to even do next.  I have an abundance of testers poured and struggling to know where to begin the wicking process with these since struggling with the first batch of testers.

Edited by Sandgarden

@Sandgarden  yes it is soy across the board. Most everyone has to wick down for a safe burn. That messes with the throw. 

There are quite a few theeads discussing the problems, which stem from changes the FDA issue regarding transfats which took effect late in 2016. The wax product itself changed. Some of us have found a decent enough candle through blending.