6006 very much depends on the fragrance oil you are using as well.

Zincs work well and are consistent, but you still still get mushrooms often. I dont think customers care as much about mushrooms as we do. If anything, its a reminder to trim the wick.

Here are others that work in 6006 but it depends on the jar and the fragrance oil:

CD

HTP

Premier

RRD

ECOs work but for me they soot the most in this wax.

Id like to say one is better than the other... but I would by lying. I test each and go with what works best. Overall Id say I use mostly zincs and htp but i definitely use some of each.

For your 8oz jelly, start with these but again you will need adjust per fragrance oil often:

HTP - 83

CD - 7 or 8

Zinc - 44-24

Eco - 2 or 4

Edited by wthomas57
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I used IGI 6006 from the time it was still Dussek Campbell! :) About 16 years with this wax. I personally found the CD wicks were best. I eventually had issues with zinc not staying lit, because of the zinc. It happened twice and caused me to lose a ton of money so I zapped the idea of them fully after a lengthy discussion and testing session with Bruce Campbell from Wicks Unlimited. I found for me, the 10 was the best size. I could never use a 7 or 8, too small, BUT the wick can vary from one supplier to the next based on tabbing equipment so a CD 10 from one may be the same as an 8 from another. :)

• Thanks 1

I agree... zincs on some oils do not work... its just not enought wick and the burn out. But on many of mine they still work just fine.

CD 7 and 8 are definitely not too small for me in the jelly jars which are pretty narrow. However, they are too small for me on my masons and larger for sure. And good point.... different suppliers could vary a bit which is crazy frustrating!

I would try htp 83 and cd 8 and 10 and then cross your fingers that you're close! :)

• Thanks 1

I just tested two candles in a reclycled champagne bottle with 4in diameter. Igi 6006. Candlescience FO 10%. In one I used cd 18 and the other I double wicked cd 10. They both provided very nice flames.  After 4h the cd 18did not burn to the edges, but it was a nice large pool albeit was off centered. The double wicked looked spectacular, great pool but after 3 h one of the wicks went out bc it dipped into the wax pool. The wicks got VERY soft. Any advice? What did I do wrong?

The "soft" nature of CD wicks is one of the reasons I am not a big fan. They start leaning and create very uneven melt pools. No real solutions to this other than different wicks. But many people still like CD's regardless. Where do you get your CDs? You could also make sure you are ordering ones with highest possible melt point wax coating on them... may help a bit

• Like 1

When overwicked the cds tend to sag into the melt pool and snuff out. Double wicked cd10 in that wax is like a single cd30+.

Double wicking is an art form. In a 4". Wide container I generally start with two cd5, smaller if glass as glass cylinders  trap a lot of heat and create more air current. 

• Like 2

What TT said 

Cd get soft and curl back into itself when over wicked ....I have used cd for years and never had this issue until soy went to crap and started burning different - mine all do that now with my normal wicking so going down is necessary 

what diameter is the jar your using? And how deep are your melt pools after a couple hours? 

Cd should never do this if wicked properly, they do curl and generally do a great job self trimming but twisting the wick helps even out the burn 

Edited by moonshine
  • Like 1

I use LX wicks with success in IGI6006 with the exception of some of the heavier oils. I don’t get much soot even when I don’t trim the wicks. I find they work really well in my container, but then again I only use one container. What % of fragrance oil are you using and what size wick? Might you be overwicked? The reason I ask is because two different suppliers recommended an LX 18 and 20 to me and I found my go-to wick to be an LX14. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CHB said:

I use LX wicks with success in IGI6006 with the exception of some of the heavier oils. I don’t get much soot even when I don’t trim the wicks. I find they work really well in my container, but then again I only use one container. What % of fragrance oil are you using and what size wick? Might you be overwicked? The reason I ask is because two different suppliers recommended an LX 18 and 20 to me and I found my go-to wick to be an LX14. 

Ovrall, LX is among my least favorite with this wax....but still have them in use for a few scents. 

Just overall didn't perform as well. More sooting and carbon buildup then others. They weren't the worst by any means, but not my favorite either.

Sometimes they worked well, but in most cases even the zincs worked better for me than LX. 

What I DO like about LX is the night tight flame. But I just had better luck (most of of the time) with the following wicks:

Zinc, HTP, RRD

Next would be CD and Paper Core just a tad above Premier and LX

Ones I did not like with 6006 were:

ECO

• Like 1

11 hours ago, wthomas57 said:

Just overall didn't perform as well. More sooting and carbon buildup then others. They weren't the worst by any means, but not my favorite either.

Sometimes they worked well, but in most cases even the zincs worked better for me than LX. 

What I DO like about LX is the night tight flame. But I just had better luck (most of of the time) with the following wicks:

Zinc, HTP, RRD

Next would be CD and Paper Core just a tad above Premier and LX

Ones I did not like with 6006 were:

ECO

Which supplier do you usually buy your wicks from? I have bought from several different ones before knowing it made a difference. I'm trying to streamline but realize most supplier do not carry all types. I'm going to try the zincs and wick down the CDs. Thanks!!

I have bought from several suppliers. Most of the time I have not seen or tested any different on the same wicks from different suppliers. I was paranoid about it for a while but never really amounted to anything. I have had a FEW that were a bit off compared to each other, but i think it had more to do with the wax coating than anything else. Also, I had some wicks sent that were not properly labeled with correct size. That's a bad deal.

For the most part, I use a combo of CandleScience, lonestar, and CandleWic for my wicks depending on what I need. You are correct, none seem to carry them all. Ive seriously considered becoming a supplier of just wicks and having EVERYTHING... a one stop shop for them because its frustrating. Lol

I use premiers sparingly and when I need those, I get them from Flaming Candle.

About to start testing CSNs a bit more, and there are hard to find... so SouthWest Candle Supply will be the place for me for those wicks.