Presto Pot questions

Hello! I bought myself a Presto Pot (no spigot, just straight from Walmart) for melting my wax. I have a couple questions...

1) What temperature setting do you use for the initial melting? I'm using KY Parasoy. I assume after it is melted down you can lower the temp to keep it warm.

2) I read on the endless internetz somewhere that when using it to melt wax, you should not have the lid on it. Is this true? If so, why?

I use the warm to lowest number setting. I turn it down/off when the wax is about 75% melted and stir to let it all reach the same temp.  With my wax, I find if it is all clear the temp is too high.

i put a lid on with soy and beeswax. If really worried, you could prop it open with your spatula/spoon/whatever 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TallTayl said:

I use the warm to lowest number setting. I turn it down/off when the wax is about 75% melted and stir to let it all reach the same temp.  With my wax, I find if it is all clear the temp is too high.

i put a lid on with soy and beeswax. If really worried, you could prop it open with your spatula/spoon/whatever 

Thanks!! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I think what you are referring to is people who made comments about risk of condensation from having the lid on. I dont think they realize how condensation happens..... there is no water in the wax. Dont' worry about it.

now... if you are also mixing your FOs in the presto with the wax for batches.... I agree, don't lid it.

I don't keep a lid on my presto when melting wax, however, the main reason is because I don't really need to hold my wax in the presto for any length of time. For the batch sizes I like to make, my wax will melt in a matter of 20-25 minutes, and once it's melted I pour it into my pour pot. 

That doesn't mean I don't think it should be done, just means, I don't do it.