required information on labels

schmee123

Is there any information that is required for the main labels on candles? (not the warning labels) or just required in general on either label? I've been browsing and looking for label inspiration and noticed everyone includes different things such as notes, weight, burn time, wax type etc. 

• 3 weeks later...

It's nice to put weight if you have an advantage for example, you are selling a large candle with lots of wax weight. I don't believe it's a regulatory requirement. If you look at best selling brands, they do not have weight or burn hours on their labels. Jo Malone, Cire Trudon... if it were a legal obligation they for sure would have this info. 

On 10/23/2017 at 9:51 PM, Bia said:

It's nice to put weight if you have an advantage for example, you are selling a large candle with lots of wax weight. I don't believe it's a regulatory requirement. If you look at best selling brands, they do not have weight or burn hours on their labels. Jo Malone, Cire Trudon... if it were a legal obligation they for sure would have this info. 

I guess it depends if candles are considered a “consumer commodity” under the letter of the law. Here’s a link to part of the FPLA. Look at section 500.2(c). I think by that definition candles are covered under this law.

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=d46d8c24934536de0ef58344303bf174&rgn=div5&view=text&node=16:1.0.1.5.62&idno=16

Yep, what NickS said - and just because someone, even big companies, are not doing it, doesn't mean they are correct. 

Here is the specific regulation for net weight under the consumer commodity requirement (which candles are) 

§500.6   Net quantity of contents declaration, location.

(a) The label of a consumer commodity shall bear a declaration of the net quantity of contents separately and accurately stated on the principal display panel.

Just went around and checked the commercial retail candles I recently purchased. All list the weight. All but one included the weight on The bottom stickers ounces and grams. One manufactured outside the us lists the weight on the front label.

Interestingly, mccalls candles uses fluid ounces on the bottom labels. Should someone complain to the labeling authority they might need to change that to weight. 

Moral of of the story, you can't always use the big guys as a model.

• Like 1