Regulations for selling wax melts? (In the USA)

MarlaSinger

Hellooooo! 

What are (if any) the regulations within the USA for making and selling wax melts? 

The only thing I have heard mentioned by makers is being "CLP Compliant" but as far as I can tell, that is for selling in Europe. Are there any such regulations within the US and if so, who oversees it? 

3 hours ago, Jcandleattic said:

For labeling regulations on many products, you can't beat Marie Gale's book and blog. Yes, a lot of the info is for B&B but she has other labeling regulations on there as well. 

http://www.mariegale.com/

Thank you for that link. I have been hunting around on there and I must be overlooking something. So far I haven't found anything pertaining to or mentioning any regulation of wax melts. Is there a way to find it aside from the search? I have "searched" for anything I can think of related. The closest connection I can find is GMP but I was more curious to know things like what has to be on labels, warnings, etc. Does the US have regulations similar to the CLP Compliance in EU? I'm lost! 

I think it would be good to have a label that not only tells the name of the creator, weight of the product, the name of the scent, if e/o's are used, but also some precautionary advice.  I've seen little labels that say "not for consumption," or "not edible," etc.  It might also be good to say to not set scented wax on a lacquered surface, or other tips for use.  Of course, instructions for use is something that should be there.  I've never seen that there are specific regulations regarding this product in the U.S.

2 hours ago, birdcharm said:

I think it would be good to have a label that not only tells the name of the creator, weight of the product, the name of the scent, if e/o's are used, but also some precautionary advice.  I've seen little labels that say "not for consumption," or "not edible," etc.  It might also be good to say to not set scented wax on a lacquered surface, or other tips for use.  Of course, instructions for use is something that should be there.  I've never seen that there are specific regulations regarding this product in the U.S.

I was honestly expecting there to be some sort of regulations and very surprised that I haven't come across any yet (and may be overlooking them, I don't know. I can only find hints of stuff for candles) The soap & cosmetic industry is so very specific on what has to be on labels that I assumed there would be some basics *at least* that are required. Maybe I'm just being overly cautious but heck if I want to spend time and money designing/printing labels and then find out I'm not following rules and have to scrap them! 

2 hours ago, Jcandleattic said:

I could be wrong, it's been a while since I read her book, or her blog, but I could have sworn it was there. hmm, try this - 

This is mainly for candles, but may help. 

http://candles.org/fire-safety-candles/read-the-label/

Thanks :) I had actually JUST come across that very page not two minutes ago right before I logged on here! It seems it is all candle specific though. I just want to make sure I'm not unknowingly mislabeling my melts when I create the labels. Maybe the Powers That Be haven't looked at melts much yet? I completely understand the regulations on candles so I can see that melts are likely less of a liability and in less in need of regulation, but I don't want to assume anything.

Edited by MarlaSinger