Power burn result

CHB

Just did a power burn of the Nest Holiday dupe (very good by the way) from Bulk Apothecary. This is at the 8 hour mark and I have not trimmed the wick at all during any of the burns. Is this a success? Meltpool is about 1/4 inch. I can pick it up but it's fairly hot. A bit of soot on the rim but not much. Thoughts? Thanks in advance for your feedback. 

IMG_7565.JPG

Im rather new around these parts, so you might want to take what I say with a grain of salt. But if your having soot up around the rim, you might need to wick down.. Or change wicks. But then again, I have personally seen commercial products with just as much, if not more soot. So.....

What wax and wicks are you using?

Like FarmCandles said, I would try wicking down.  You say 1/4" is your melt pool depth which is excellent.   Try and keep it at that if you possibly can.

Looking at your jar, I think doing that will help you.  Looking at your jar and your wick with the soot appearing, that jar is going to get more hot the longer it burns and the lower that wax gets and undoubtedly more soot will come onto your jar.

Like she asked.....what wax and style wick and size are you using?  Keep us posted....good job by the way.

Trappeur 

Okay. I will try to wick down to an LX 12 with IGI 6006. I try to do all of my power burns without trimming the wick which I feel like contributes to most of the soot issues. My question is... if I'm not trimming the wicks to get the best idea of how safe the candle truly is, won't I always have some soot on the rim? Thanks for your help!!

Great question....

Yes, possibly...now depending when I make candles especially in a canning jar that has a shoulder where it traps the heat in a power burn, yes, that has happened to me many a time, but i test and retest to where it really shouldn't.  This is where it comes into play that you get to know your wax, wicks and fragrances and how each scent performs.  In all honesty, if a very slight haze of soot appears on the glass jar after long power burns I might (like I said Might) let that jar pass inspection....just depends. I don't like it seeing any soot, but power burns in my experience can do that.  And as we know, customers DON'T know how to properly burn a candle so your power burn testings need to be done exactly like you have been doing. All my candles show no soot and I want to keep it that way.   Keep going...your doing great!

Trappeur

• 2 weeks later...

I'd have to respectfully disagree I think on this. I dont see a problem with your candle at all. That wax is near the bottom so having only a 1/4" melt pool after 8 hours in a jar that deep is NOT bad at all. Id say its just right. The wick looks good too. And the soot..... again, I disagree. Having a little soot on the edge of the room (especially on one side) does not indicate its over wicked. Especially after 8 hours. Fir starters, 6006 does soot some unfortunately especially after 8 hour burn that deep in the jar. Its not uncommon. Also, when soot is on one side like that, its more a result of the wick leaning or curl than anything. If you wick down, you run the risk of it not being enough wick for a standard 3 or 4 hour burn time and it may never make it that deep in the jar to ever know. If you aren't satisfied with this one, you may be splitting hairs at this point. You can definitely give wicking down a shot... but I see no problem with your test results.

If this was 100%, I'd agree because you can achieve zero soot with no problem all the way through the candle. But 6006 is mostly parrafin, and you will often get soot with power burns. not always... but I wouldn't say yours is bad at all.

Edited by wthomas57
  • Like 1