Are all LX wicks created equal?

I know this has been discussed, but after much searching I still can't find the answer.  So my question is: Are the LX wicks I have from peaks the same  wicks carried by other suppliers that sell LX wicks, or are there various manufacturers of LX wicks that the different suppliers buy from?  Am I making sense?  Same question goes for Zinc Wicks  and HTP wicks.   

15 hours ago, redquilt said:

Dang.  I just found my answer.  All wicks are not created equal.:sad2:  All my testing  using wicks from Peaks down the drain.  Oh well.  

Most of Peaks wicks came from Wicks Unlimited. Bitter Creek sells the same HTPs that Peak did from WU. I don't know who sells the same LX but you can call WU and ask. They give free samples too. Their minimum order is 10,000 wicks though, so I can't order directly from them. Im not there yet, maybe you are. 

HTPs and LXs from Candle Science burn hotter than the ones from Peak. They are from a different manufacturer. I still get them. It's not about the coating, it's all about who/how they are made. WU can explain that to you if you call them. 

The ones from CS are good for when you are in between sizes but generally they burn too hot for my taste. 

Im in the middle of retesting all my HTP wicked candles my candles too. Nothing like making your accounts wait (and having your income stop) because your supplier closed down. 

Edited by Jeana

Thank you for your replies and  I will do some side by side comparisons.  I make soap for a living, but in 2008/2009 I started testing some of my fos in candles.

I have notes from candle testing starting  back then, and as I've had the time I've continued testing  keeping  records off my results.  I've never sold a single candle, only soap, but I would ( I think) some day like to offer some limited edition candles, so I've continued to work on this as a side project.  I've had my ups and downs with soap making  and lost batches do to various inconsistencies in supplies and so on, but it's nothing compared to what you chandlers have to go through.   My goodness it take a special breed of people to weather the ups and downs of making candles for a living.  My hats off to you all! 

@redquilt I found many similarities between soap and candle making. When you master one, the other becomes easier to master. Sure, you light one on fire and the other won't burn your house down if you make a mistake, but both are very rewarding. 

My business plan never never intended to depend on candles, but life has a funny way of unfolding, getting you to where you are supposed to be. I love candles and was very motivated to figure things out fast. Now I have piles of candle tins of things waiting to be tested and some fails that just need to be recorded so I don't repeat the same mistakes too many more times. 

You will get there. Make tpwhat YOU love and the rest will work out just fine.