hello! 😊

michellem

35 minutes ago, GoldieMN said:

How can there be such huge difference in pint jar cd wicks from one person to the next???  *shudder*  Does it make a difference where we are buying our cds?

GoldieMN

Yeah, isn't that a crock Goldie?   Now really.........

Geesh my 6" wide glass jars from gen wax I always use 3 cd7....now I dropped down to 3 cd 5......and guess what...it's burning today with an inch deep melt pool....I need to drop down to 3 cd 4's!!!  They don't make any smaller except for the tea light wicks....something is wrong in Denmark, that is for sure!  We all need to gang up and do something to these suppliers....who the hell is testing these waxes at the supply companies anyway?  Morans?????

Trappeur

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, GoldieMN said:

How can there be such huge difference in pint jar cd wicks from one person to the next???  *shudder*  Does it make a difference where we are buying our cds?

GoldieMN

Goldie lately Ive been buying CD wicks from BC lately only because they carry smaller size wicks (5 & below ) that are 6" long. Smallest Flaming carries I believe 

is 5 ?? Other suppliers carry CD 3 & 4's but the length is only around 2.5".Also Im sure when I run out of my 464 and have to buy more of it I'll need to wick down

as Trappeur has mentioned. Im sure Trappeur will chime in and better answer your question than I can. Im dreading trying to figure out wicking my new orders 

of 464 :( Has anyone on here mixed 464 with white beeswax before ? I remember when I ordered CD wick from SW candle ?? I don't remember the name but 

they highly suggested that I add some beeswax to help harden the wax + help give a better HT. I recall them suggesting about 1-2 Tbls. pp of wax. I never

did try it though but I think I just try + see how it works out .

• Like 1

@Moonstar  That is interesting. . .adding something to harden the wax.  I have quite a bit of Ecosoya's PB.  I wonder if that would make a difference.  Oh God, MORE TESTING!!!  

e card.JPG

GoldieMN

Edited by GoldieMN
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, GoldieMN said:

@Moonstar  That is interesting. . .adding something to harden the wax.  I have quite a bit of Ecosoya's PB.  I wonder if that would make a difference.  Oh God, MORE TESTING!!!  

e card.JPG

GoldieMN

NG has white beeswax and their shipping is always reasonable. Ive been really wanting to try it. Ive bought candles that are soy + beeswax and loved them. Plus if I 

remember correctly the candle lasted longer too due to the beeswax.I believe those candles had more than a few Tbls of beeswax though. I bought them off Etsy

Ive absolutely loved every candle + B+B product Ive bought from there. I just love trying others creations plus I like supporting small business :) Goldie, Id try adding 

some of the PB, doesn't hurt to try. 

7 hours ago, Trappeur said:

Hi ya Clear Black!

So your jar is a 16 oz (pint ) jar?   It's not a quart jar?  That's what it looks like to me....What is that a mayo like Moonstar said?   A wide mouth or regular mouth?

The only reason I'm asking is cause I use a cd10 on my 16oz jars...Actually I just dropped down from a cd 12 to a 10 and now after testing a couple new oils today it looks like I could even go to a cd8...But now I'm using 464 which your not  so  that explains it...these new formulations on waxes are just disgusting....

Well anyways, it's a nice burn you have going there.  Hard to believe your using a cd20 cause I use that size for quart jars in the wide mouth...

Hey but it is what it is....Thanks for sharing!

Trappeur

Heya Trap!!  Isnt a quart considered a 32 oz jar? Even so, the pint jars I was referring to are my 16oz cans, not the jar in the photo. Although the jar in the photo is indeed a 16oz container, they call it an Economy Round from where I purchase them, not a mayo. And its a regular mouth, not wide mouth. If you can see the neck tapers in towards the top, and that is my weakest spot of the whole jar. It burns a bit hot at the top if I pour too high, so I keep it at 12oz of wax in the jar. Its a bit backwards being hot at the top I know, but it cools down to where you see it in the photo after that neck. After the neck its pretty smooth sailing for the rest of the jar actually

18 hours ago, Moonstar said:

Goldie lately Ive been buying CD wicks from BC lately only because they carry smaller size wicks (5 & below ) that are 6" long. Smallest Flaming carries I believe 

is 5 ?? Other suppliers carry CD 3 & 4's but the length is only around 2.5".Also Im sure when I run out of my 464 and have to buy more of it I'll need to wick down

as Trappeur has mentioned. Im sure Trappeur will chime in and better answer your question than I can. Im dreading trying to figure out wicking my new orders 

of 464 :( Has anyone on here mixed 464 with white beeswax before ? I remember when I ordered CD wick from SW candle ?? I don't remember the name but 

they highly suggested that I add some beeswax to help harden the wax + help give a better HT. I recall them suggesting about 1-2 Tbls. pp of wax. I never

did try it though but I think I just try + see how it works out .

So are you saying Moonstar, that if you add a little bees wax it will harden it and therefore that could mean you wouldn't have to go down in wick size?   That's interesting.....Maybe I could try that.  Old Glory sent me some beeswax but I never did try blending it.  I believe at the time we were talking about melts and she said to add that to the 464 for a better scent throw also.....  Have you tried blending yet of this?

Trappeur

4 hours ago, Trappeur said:

So are you saying Moonstar, that if you add a little bees wax it will harden it and therefore that could mean you wouldn't have to go down in wick size?   That's interesting.....Maybe I could try that.  Old Glory sent me some beeswax but I never did try blending it.  I believe at the time we were talking about melts and she said to add that to the 464 for a better scent throw also.....  Have you tried blending yet of this?

Trappeur

Thats what the lady at SW Candle Supply told me. She said thats what she adds to her soy. She said it will help with hardening the wax + with Hot throw as well.

I haven't tried it as of yet, I only have beeswax from my local farmers market so its a dark golden color + smells heavily of honey. I need to buy white beeswax.

She did say she only adds 1-2 Tbls  per pound of wax. I also add some beeswax to my wax melts as well, not too much as I don't want it getting so hard that it

takes forever to melt. So thats what Im gonna start with 1-2 Tbl. I don't know how necessary it is to use white beeswax but thats what Id like to use because Im

uncertain if the natural honey scent will interfere with the FO. What kind of beeswax do you have at home ?

21 minutes ago, Moonstar said:

Thats what the lady at SW Candle Supply told me. She said thats what she adds to her soy. She said it will help with hardening the wax + with Hot throw as well.

I haven't tried it as of yet, I only have beeswax from my local farmers market so its a dark golden color + smells heavily of honey. I need to buy white beeswax.

She did say she only adds 1-2 Tbls  per pound of wax. I also add some beeswax to my wax melts as well, not too much as I don't want it getting so hard that it

takes forever to melt. So thats what Im gonna start with 1-2 Tbl. I don't know how necessary it is to use white beeswax but thats what Id like to use because Im

uncertain if the natural honey scent will interfere with the FO. What kind of beeswax do you have at home ?

I''m thinking it came from Flaming...couldn't swear...I know its a golden color and if I'm not mistaken I believe she sent me some beads of honey also.  I'll have to go in the basement and get the box.....Glad this subject came up as I need to get an order of melts made as soon as possible.  I believe TT works with bees wax so I hope she sees this and comes and puts in her wide expanse of knowledge that I know she has on this subject.  What is the difference between white and the golden?   Also like you just asked, will the honey scent distort what ever fragrance oil we use?

Trappeur

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Trappeur said:

I''m thinking it came from Flaming...couldn't swear...I know its a golden color and if I'm not mistaken I believe she sent me some beads of honey also.  I'll have to go in the basement and get the box.....Glad this subject came up as I need to get an order of melts made as soon as possible.  I believe TT works with bees wax so I hope she sees this and comes and puts in her wide expanse of knowledge that I know she has on this subject.  What is the difference between white and the golden?   Also like you just asked, will the honey scent distort what ever fragrance oil we use?

Trappeur

I think if your only adding 1-2 Tbls per pound in your wax melts the yellow beeswax from NG should be ok but I have no clue what beads of honey are lol ! As far as your 

question about the difference between white & yellow beeswax is just that - color difference. For example when I make lip balm sometimes I like to use the yellow because 

it has more of a honey scent + taste other times I like white because it doesn't have as much of a honey scent. Im sure theres much more complicated answer that TT can

better address than than what Im giving  but thats what I personally go by . I think Ive also seen a deodorized version of the white beeswax as well. 

1 hour ago, Trappeur said:

Trappeur

Trap, the white bw is simply "bleached" in order to remove the color. From all my experience and info ive read its mainly for cosmetic reasons 

white beeswax is fully refined. it is bleached, filtered and treated to remove traces of the honey, propolis, color, etc. A few different methods are used, but the cheaper the wax, the more chemical bleaching IMO. IME the melt point in refined is several degrees lower than yellow beeswax (which can vary a LOT from lot# to lot#). When burning beeswax has its own smell for sure. just like soy.

Some of the white beeswax i get smells pretty bad in the box, and can almost feel like paraffin, but according the the analysis of the retailer, it is all just beeswax. I wick my refined beeswax candles down 1-2 sizes compared to yellow  and use the refined to correct any yellow that is too dirty (dark) to burn well.

I've been spending a kings ransom testing beeswax with just about every other wax on the market right now. to date have not stumbled upon any perfect combos yet. Beeswax likes cotton wicks. soy often prefers paper core. i can't say that 1-2 Tablespoons of beeswax per lb will do anything for your candle unless testing it. The more beeswax you add, the more you risk cracking as the candle cools if you make soy candles using traditional melting and pouring temps.

I've been testing up to 50% beeswax with other waxes with varying results. it is SOOOOO FRUSTRATING!!!!! The good news is the worst of the beeswax combos I have burned are still better than the best soy....

I really want to get on the phone with WEDO or some other engineer of wicks to understand the real physics and chemistry behind the burns. In pottery glazing there is this thing called the Unity Formula. So long as ingredients at the most basic level (molecular) are within tested ranges they perform predictably. I have some fragrances that were the most reliable throwers in years past that will not throw in a soy candle AT ALL now. There has to be a good reason.... is soy being processed with bleaching agents that hinder the HT now?

• Like 1

You poor people... :icon_awww:

I'm just curious, because the insanity of these "alternative waxes" seems rather insurmountable given the manufactures' refusal/inability/give-a-damn to produce consistent product, what was the specific reason to dump paraffin? I mean if this is just a consumer fad wouldn't a simple explanation like "I dropped the soy because my test candles consistently turned into firebombs and I didn't think my customers would care for that..."

I mean LORD KNOWS I like to push the envelope of reality but when even I'm going "Damn... that's just crazy! Nuh-uh... NOOOOO Thank YOU."  and I run away screaming in terror...  

I's just wondering...  

Anywho... I'll be watching from WAY OVER THERE and standing by at the ready for y'all with the fire extinguisher and Valium. 

Sponiebr 
The Executor of Bad Ideas, actually, they seem like pretty sane Ideas at the moment.   

On 10/12/2017 at 3:11 AM, Sponiebr said:

I'm just curious, because the insanity of these "alternative waxes" seems rather insurmountable given the manufactures' refusal/inability/give-a-damn to produce consistent product, what was the specific reason to dump paraffin? I mean if this is just a consumer fad wouldn't a simple explanation like "I dropped the soy because my test candles consistently turned into firebombs and I didn't think my customers would care for that..."

Main reason my customers want soy is the soot paraffin candles leave on their walls.

GoldieMN

On 10/12/2017 at 3:11 AM, Sponiebr said:

I mean LORD KNOWS I like to push the envelope of reality but when even I'm going "Damn... that's just crazy! Nuh-uh... NOOOOO Thank YOU."  and I run away screaming in terror...  

I's just wondering...  

Anywho... I'll be watching from WAY OVER THERE and standing by at the ready for y'all with the fire extinguisher and Valium. 

Sponiebr 
The Executor of Bad Ideas, actually, they seem like pretty sane Ideas at the moment.   

Isn’t it time for you to do some candle testing with us? 

5 hours ago, Dorothy Mantooth said:

Isn’t it time for you to do some candle testing with us? 

NOOOOooooooooo!!! (hides under rock) We's likeses the darknesses doesn't we precious?  

23 hours ago, GoldieMN said:

Main reason my customers want soy is the soot paraffin candles leave on their walls.

GoldieMN

Soot. on. their. walls?  From candles? *shudder*  I mean I'm the guy that's got rather strange interior decor tastes, but notice:

999339b14751f441ca6530023ffe3a5e--romantic-bedrooms-candles-bedroom-romantic.jpg.00fbbefbd91dbadca66290ba4673f275.jpg

no soot on the walls...

So, I'm speechless. I got nuth'n... (This is VERY rare) 

Sponiebr

Executor of Bad Ideas, and yanno what, I gotta see how many candles it takes to soot up a room... Mr. Owl? How many candles does it take... o.O 

@Sponiebr Soot on walls from candles, not rare at all.  I have streaks of black on my light green slanted ceiling where I burned paraffin candles on the counter.  When I repainted my kitchen, the wall where I burned a candle all the time was a lot darker than any other area of the kitchen.  Insurance agent says insurance companies deal with soot claims from burning candles all the time.

GoldieMN

2 hours ago, GoldieMN said:

@Sponiebr Soot on walls from candles, not rare at all.  I have streaks of black on my light green slanted ceiling where I burned paraffin candles on the counter.  When I repainted my kitchen, the wall where I burned a candle all the time was a lot darker than any other area of the kitchen.  Insurance agent says insurance companies deal with soot claims from burning candles all the time.

GoldieMN

59e200d7cefb7_letmegetthisstraightdirtywalls.jpg.4f6c756127156c69238f4cee9e61606c.jpg

7 hours ago, Sponiebr said:

NOOOOooooooooo!!! (hides under rock) We's likeses the darknesses doesn't we precious?  

Soot. on. their. walls?  From candles? *shudder*  I mean I'm the guy that's got rather strange interior decor tastes, but notice:

999339b14751f441ca6530023ffe3a5e--romantic-bedrooms-candles-bedroom-romantic.jpg.00fbbefbd91dbadca66290ba4673f275.jpg

no soot on the walls...

So, I'm speechless. I got nuth'n... (This is VERY rare) 

Sponiebr

Executor of Bad Ideas, and yanno what, I gotta see how many candles it takes to soot up a room... Mr. Owl? How many candles does it take... o.O 

Jeez mate, is that actually your place in that picture? Those exposed brick walls are spectacular!

10 hours ago, Clear Black said:

Jeez mate, is that actually your place in that picture? Those exposed brick walls are spectacular!

Naw dude, I WISH... that brick IS cool though. (It'd be a PITA to keep dusted and cleaned)   

This is my world: 

59e2c741c758e_jetAskeeter20171003_035025.thumb.jpg.337324ba951ae7e15a7f65f66cfc1590.jpg

Welcome! I'm new to candle-making and this site too. I found lots of knowledgeable, experienced people here and they are very generous with their knowledge. I am just trying C-3 for the first time tonight. Wish me luck! Used 6% FO from CandleScience. Toasted Pumpkin Spice. I'm not that keen on the scent but I accidentally ordered an 8 oz bottle so I decided to use it for testing. We shall see what I get.

Good luck and happy pouring!

• Like 1

On 10/14/2017 at 9:29 PM, LRed said:

Welcome! I'm new to candle-making and this site too. I found lots of knowledgeable, experienced people here and they are very generous with their knowledge. I am just trying C-3 for the first time tonight. Wish me luck! Used 6% FO from CandleScience. Toasted Pumpkin Spice. I'm not that keen on the scent but I accidentally ordered an 8 oz bottle so I decided to use it for testing. We shall see what I get.

Good luck and happy pouring!

Hi LRed!

Thanks for your note! How'd it go with C3? Sometimes scents smell different in the wax...so here's hoping Pumpkin Spice is a winner (for you or your buyers!). Would love to know how it goes!! :)  

Hi Michellem. I heated the votive molds in the oven before pouring and poured under 110. Still saw some frosting and a few air pockets with the C-3. Used a heat gun to smooth out the top. Cold throw seems good. I'm going to wait a week or two to test. I'll let you know! :)

• Like 1

On 10/16/2017 at 1:19 PM, LRed said:

Hi Michellem. I heated the votive molds in the oven before pouring and poured under 110. Still saw some frosting and a few air pockets with the C-3. Used a heat gun to smooth out the top. Cold throw seems good. I'm going to wait a week or two to test. I'll let you know! :)

Nice! I usually wash out my votives with warm water before wicking, and since I live in Southern California they stay pretty warm...but I like the idea of putting them in a warm oven too... As far as pouring temps, I heat to 185, add the FO, then cool to 165 and pour. I usually get good glass adhesion (some pockets) but the tops are super smooth! Thanks for the update - I'm looking forward to hearing how they smell! 

Do you sell your candles? I'm just getting started... :)

• Like 1