Does anyone sell crafts other than candles, soap, and B&B?

coconut

I need to find a new hobby since I can no longer make scented products. It would be nice if I could make a little money on them down the road. I don't want to steal any secrets or creative ideas from members, but if you have seen anything at craft shows that seem to sell well and would be willing to share that information it would be greatly appreciated. I am not a great seamstress but do have some sewing skills. Thanks!

I make crocheted wash cloths and 'soap-savers' to sell. However, the thick cotton of the soap-saver doesn't tend to dry very well, and gets kind of icky if the person doesn't take it out of the shower every few days to a week and wash it. So, I've also been trying to design a mesh soap saver to go over the soap and hang (made out of the material that those body poofs are made of - know what I mean?) so you can slip the soap in that, use it like you would the body poof, and then hang it to dry in between showers/baths. (I hope that makes sense - I'll post of pic of one if I can find one) 

Something very similar to this one on alibaba's page (however, I can't afford nor do I want, 500,000 of them to buy from here!! LMAO) 

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Ninghai-Kangmei-Beautiful-Mesh-Soap-Bag_60516696319.html?spm=a2700.7724857.main07.1.34efd136tsd2fy&s=p

I used to sell lip balms, but honestly more got stolen from me than I ever sold, and it became more of a hassle for me than it was worth, so I gave up on that. 

That's about it for me for craft shows. But Soaps and Candles are my business, so I never thought of trying to sell anything else at craft shows... 

I doubt this is an original idea, but when I see what people are willing to pay for those ridiculously over-priced 31 bags, I am always tempted to get out my sewing machine and give bags a try! There are so many fun fabrics out there, and bags are so easy to make. Depending on your area, you could even have a theme - beach bags, picnic totes, reuse able shopping bags, swanky purses... They are fantastic gifts too!

• Like 2

Lots of great ideas already. I like the idea of the bags if you're a great seamstress. I had a friend do that for awhile and she did very well.  Lip balm sells very well for me :)

In the Spring, I got back into vinyl cutting and started a T-shirt/decal biz.  As with any business start up, it's taking a bit to get going but I'm loving it! I haven't tried selling them any shows yet.

Wow, these are all really great ideas. I did wonder if there is any market for unscented products like beeswax or soap as I really liked making candles and tarts. I may look into the bags. I think I could do that. My sewing machine is an old White treadle machine so no fancy embroidery, but I can do all the basics. I don't think I will buy 500,000 soap saver bags....I have good crochet skills but I never saw anyone make any money with crochet. I am in Florida but not in a tourist area. However I will be within a reasonable drive of the Mouse. And beaches too. I do not know if this is a craft but I like old lamps and lighting and maybe I can do something with that. I have sold lamps on eBay with good results. Thanks, everyone!

3 hours ago, coconut said:

Wow, these are all really great ideas. I did wonder if there is any market for unscented products like beeswax or soap as I really liked making candles and tarts. I may look into the bags. I think I could do that. My sewing machine is an old White treadle machine so no fancy embroidery, but I can do all the basics. I don't think I will buy 500,000 soap saver bags....I have good crochet skills but I never saw anyone make any money with crochet. I am in Florida but not in a tourist area. However I will be within a reasonable drive of the Mouse. And beaches too. I do not know if this is a craft but I like old lamps and lighting and maybe I can do something with that. I have sold lamps on eBay with good results. Thanks, everyone!

I sell a handfull of unscented soaps every year, (not many but enough to make a batch a year to sell) but I have never ever sold an unscented candle, HOWEVER, I don't work with beeswax, and I bet those WOULD actually sell well. They are long lasting, burn clean, and do offer a slight 'honey' scent cold throw. 

I sell a lot of unscented candles, so yes.  I think you could try a whole line of unscented goods.  Soap, lip balm, lotion, scrubs, jar candles, pillars, votives, etc.  Lots of people are becoming increasingly sensitive to fragrance.

I also sell cotton knitted dishcloths, but those are something I like to make anyway.  You don't get a lot for your labor.  But I'm hyper and it wears off some energy if I have to just sit, such as on a long car ride.  LOL

Edited by Crafty1_AJ

14 hours ago, Crafty1_AJ said:

I sell a lot of unscented candles, so yes.  I think you could try a whole line of unscented goods.  Soap, lip balm, lotion, scrubs, jar candles, pillars, votives, etc.  Lots of people are becoming increasingly sensitive to fragrance.

I also sell cotton knitted dishcloths, but those are something I like to make anyway.  You don't get a lot for your labor.  But I'm hyper and it wears off some energy if I have to just sit, such as on a long car ride.  LOL

That's interesting. Fragrance seems to be everywhere now, so I am not surprised more people are becoming sensitive. I also like to crochet or knit while watching TV. I used to make rugs but no money in that, I don't think. I have to wake up my creative juices....☺

22 hours ago, Jcandleattic said:

I sell a handfull of unscented soaps every year, (not many but enough to make a batch a year to sell) but I have never ever sold an unscented candle, HOWEVER, I don't work with beeswax, and I bet those WOULD actually sell well. They are long lasting, burn clean, and do offer a slight 'honey' scent cold throw. 

I may have to give it a try...thanks!

I keep saying as soon as my husband builds me a bigger craft room that I'm adding t-shirts to my craft/hobby. I work at a school and there are some women that sell to teachers and have a pretty good business making spirit shirts. We get to wear a spirit shirt on Thursdays and Fridays with jeans so we are always looking for a new t-shirt. I always look at shirts when I go to craft shows to shop too so I would think that would be a good seller.

On 9/21/2017 at 12:21 PM, Tina J said:

I haven't tried it yet but I've been thinking about gourmet flavored marshmallows. 

I need to get some flavors!!  I love to make marshmallows ... although I don't know about selling food items, I'm sure there's probably some licensing that has to occur first.

Not to go off-topic, but for personal and gifts, these things are great.

Here's a photo of a tray before they were cut, I'll try to share more sometime in the O/T section.

marshmallowpan.jpg.afd3b62e1766fb3d183757d6fa40a816.jpg

• Like 3

On 9/21/2017 at 9:55 AM, Jcandleattic said:

I make crocheted wash cloths and 'soap-savers' to sell. However, the thick cotton of the soap-saver doesn't tend to dry very well, and gets kind of icky if the person doesn't take it out of the shower every few days to a week and wash it. So, I've also been trying to design a mesh soap saver to go over the soap and hang (made out of the material that those body poofs are made of - know what I mean?) so you can slip the soap in that, use it like you would the body poof, and then hang it to dry in between showers/baths. (I hope that makes sense - I'll post of pic of one if I can find one) 

Have you tried using this yarn? I get these as dishcloths from my stepmom who crochets them and I LOVE them. I think these yarns would work

great as soap saver poofs!

http://www.redheart.com/yarn/scrubby

Edited by debratant

21 hours ago, kandlekrazy said:

Are you sensitive to all scents?  Because you can do unscented products but add lavender buds or lemon zest (any citrus really), herbs, etc to your soaps if you can handle the natural scent.

Mostly I am OK with natural scents. I grow citrus and have no problems there. That may have possibilities... Thanks!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, debratant said:

Have you tried using this yarn? I get these as dishcloths from my stepmom who crochets them and I LOVE them. I think these yarns would work

great as soap saver poofs!

http://www.redheart.com/yarn/scrubby

My cousin actually gave me 4 skeins of that yarn. I just haven't done anything with it yet,(and forgot I had it until now!!) but now I'm thinking a soap-saver hanger out of them would be great! 

Thanks for the reminder... 

• Like 1

I sell shaving mugs I get from a local potter. She makes them special for me for my shaving soaps. They have a well in the bottom where my soaps fit just right and my company name on an applique she puts on to. They are beautiful. I have a lot of people ask me for shaving brushes too but I won't sell anything that isn't handmade by me. The shaving mugs are the only things I sell I don't make.

Sooooo... I have been pondering making my own shaving brushes and looking into that. The shaving knots in badger fur can be expensive so if I do make them they won't be cheap. The handles I would commission a local woodworker to make for me if I decide to make the brushes. So I am just keeping the idea on the back burner for the time being until I feel ready to add the expense of making them... plus the time to learn and make them.

Here's some photos of last years mugs. The ones I have for this year are even better but I don't have any pics of them.

mug3.thumb.jpg.82baea1baa7f58b4ae73120fef599485.jpg

mug6.thumb.jpg.57e6a514bf8030c59145785daae5584d.jpg

BTW-- TT makes some nice pottery and shared some pics of her shaving mugs in the craft section I think..

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, birdcharm said:

I need to get some flavors!!  I love to make marshmallows ... although I don't know about selling food items, I'm sure there's probably some licensing that has to occur first.

Not to go off-topic, but for personal and gifts, these things are great.

Here's a photo of a tray before they were cut, I'll try to share more sometime in the O/T section.

marshmallowpan.jpg.afd3b62e1766fb3d183757d6fa40a816.jpg

OMG I love homemade marshmallows!! If you ever want to sell any please let me know! That looks awesome!!! I'm drooling just looking at the picture!! LOL

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Jcandleattic said:

I've never had homemade marshmallows. Now I need to find a recipe. Candy making is something I actually do like (even though I hate cooking and to some extent, baking) 

Me either! Never even considered you could make homemade marshmellows LOL.  That's how cooking challenged I am.

I do not like cooking...not so much the act of cooking, it's the deciding what to cook, having the ingredients etc etc.

If I ever hit the lottery, I will be hiring my own personal cook.  Someone to figure out a weekly menu, get the ingredients for it, then cook it LOLOL

I can handle making snacks and doing baking 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Candybee said:

I sell shaving mugs I get from a local potter. She makes them special for me for my shaving soaps. They have a well in the bottom where my soaps fit just right and my company name on an applique she puts on to. They are beautiful. I have a lot of people ask me for shaving brushes too but I won't sell anything that isn't handmade by me. The shaving mugs are the only things I sell I don't make.

Sooooo... I have been pondering making my own shaving brushes and looking into that. The shaving knots in badger fur can be expensive so if I do make them they won't be cheap. The handles I would commission a local woodworker to make for me if I decide to make the brushes. So I am just keeping the idea on the back burner for the time being until I feel ready to add the expense of making them... plus the time to learn and make them.

Here's some photos of last years mugs. The ones I have for this year are even better but I don't have any pics of them.

mug3.thumb.jpg.82baea1baa7f58b4ae73120fef599485.jpg

mug6.thumb.jpg.57e6a514bf8030c59145785daae5584d.jpg

BTW-- TT makes some nice pottery and shared some pics of her shaving mugs in the craft section I think..

Thos are beautiful!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, debratant said:

Me either! Never even considered you could make homemade marshmellows LOL.  That's how cooking challenged I am.

I do not like cooking...not so much the act of cooking, it's the deciding what to cook, having the ingredients etc etc.

If I ever hit the lottery, I will be hiring my own personal cook.  Someone to figure out a weekly menu, get the ingredients for it, then cook it LOLOL

I can handle making snacks and doing baking 

My husband is my personal chef. LOL I go into my kitchen during the holidays to make the candy, and then Christmas celebration day (whenever we have our extended family over) and I make the big turkey dinner with all the fixin's, and then on New Years Day, I help with the waffle brunch we have for everyone. That's it. That's the only time I'm ever in the kitchen cooking. 

Oh and those rare occasions when my hub is not home for more than 2-3 days. Can't have Pizza EVERY day he's gone. LMAO 

• Like 1

Home made marshmallows using old fashioned ingredients taste so much better than the commercial stuff. Messy as all get out, but delicious! I bought a kitchenaid with the hope of making marshmallows more often, but it is used for bread more - at least for now :D

hot cocoa season is drawing near. Home made marshmallows with home made chocolate syrup is hard to beat. 

• Like 1