Trademark Searches using USPTO.Gov

TallTayl

Ever wondered how to check for trademarked words, images, phrases? Here ya go: http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=searchss&state=4807:dx4n6o.1.1

Start with a basic word search and scroll through all of the hits. The fewer words you start with the more you will get. When you go to trademark your company name or products this is the database the lawyers will search for existing trademarks that are too close.

Here's a fun pop culture example: Game of Thrones

IMG_1119.PNG

IMG_1120.PNG

i ran my business names through before choosing to make sure they were unique enough for me to easily and cleanly trademark. When choosing a business name, or a product name, it is a good idea to check here before committing to it so you won't be surprised by a cease and desist for using trademarked terms.

Even weird things like unicorn farts and unicorn poo are trademarked 🙃

• Like 2

I think some people "TM" names when they really shouldn't be "TM'd" -- when I see some names with a TM on a website when there are several, I've got to wonder if they are actually registered trademarks, or simply displayed with TM as unregistered trademarks.

Here's a "for instance"-- on another browser window, I have open a page to a scent supplier and check out some of the names that are showing a "TM" ...

Spiced Apple Pie

Raspberry Cordial

Sweetgrass

Now, I know for a fact that other suppliers have scent names with these names, so I doubt these are trademarked names.  I just thought I'd share this.

16 minutes ago, birdcharm said:

I think some people "TM" names when they really shouldn't be "TM'd" -- when I see some names with a TM on a website when there are several, I've got to wonder if they are actually registered trademarks, or simply displayed with TM as unregistered trademarks.

Here's a "for instance"-- on another browser window, I have open a page to a scent supplier and check out some of the names that are showing a "TM" ...

Spiced Apple Pie

Raspberry Cordial

Sweetgrass

Now, I know for a fact that other suppliers have scent names with these names, so I doubt these are trademarked names.  I just thought I'd share this.

There are a good many very clear abuses to the TM designation. I see it all the time too. Use those not on TESS and don't worry about them coming after you with no legal reason to do so. But DO respect those which are legally trademarked within your business class.

• Like 1