Question about oils

ShellyF

I just got into making soy wax melts (using EZ Soy) and was curious if there is a difference in oils.  I was looking into ordering a sample pack from Aztec and I like the pack that says skin safe and wanted to know if I could use it for melts and if it would be as strong as other oils. I have bought some oils from Candle Science and Bittercreek North and was just looking into other companies. Any recommendations? 

30 minutes ago, ShellyF said:

I just got into making soy wax melts (using EZ Soy) and was curious if there is a difference in oils.  I was looking into ordering a sample pack from Aztec and I like the pack that says skin safe and wanted to know if I could use it for melts and if it would be as strong as other oils. I have bought some oils from Candle Science and Bittercreek North and was just looking into other companies. Any recommendations? 

There is some debate as to whether skin safe oils are as strong as regular fragrance oils, however, I have used both in my candles and really cannot tell a difference in strength. You can use skin safe FO's in candles, all skin safe means is that at certain %'s these oils are also safe to use in B&B products. 

There are a ton of reputable suppliers out here that are mentioned quite often. 

I mostly use Aztec, Nature's Garden, Peak (now defunct but in a couple weeks their oils will be available at Keystone), Candle Science, and most recently, Lonestar. 

You will have hits and misses with all suppliers, but one thing to think about is skin safe does not necessarily mean "weaker" than not skin safe.  It all depends on the aromachemicals used and any additives/carriers in the blend.

IFRA.org (International Fragrance Association) determines typical safety ranges for various applications, including candles. IFRA sets guidelines on essential oils, fractions of essential oils, etc. 

Some skin safe aromas blow me away with potency. Some seem like duds in my waxes, but are eye wateringly srong when made by other people.