Help needed for wax tarts

Vee

I made some wax tarts with soy wax and felt the fragrance was too mild... It had a throw in a small area but not in a large room
Then I read up that the throw is not so good with soy wax so I made some with paraffin wax ,I used some vybar to get a good throw ..... I used 30 mls of orange essential oil in about half kg of wax. It still does not have a good throw....please help! What am I doing wrong? The fragrance is there but not strong enough and does not cover the room. 

What kind of paraffin did you use? Was it a blend? Or straight paraffin? If it was a blend, there is no need to add vybar, and if too much vybar is added it can bind the scent, and not release it. 

I personally have never had good luck with EO's in wax. I know others have, but I haven't... Are you adverse to using FO? If not, I would try FO without the vybar in paraffin and see what you get.. 

And to add to what Jcandle suggested....here are a few more things to think about.

Did you cure the wax and for how long?

What oils are you using and where from?  Some oils are just not compatable with certain waxes and this could possibly be a reason.

Like Jc said, I'd use candle fragrance oil.

Trappeur

Thank you guys for your response.The oils are candle fragrance oils and have a lovely scent but not enough throw...I used paraffin wax... not a blend.i saw a you tube video in which the lady said she mixes soy with paraffin but did not want to give out the proportion of each as it's a trade secret...

10 minutes ago, Vee said:

Thank you guys for your response.The oils are candle fragrance oils and have a lovely scent but not enough throw...I used paraffin wax... not a blend.i saw a you tube video in which the lady said she mixes soy with paraffin but did not want to give out the proportion of each as it's a trade secret...

There are different types of paraffin. Some are blends (but still 100% paraffin, but with all the added additives already mixed into them) and then there are straight paraffins, that don't have any additives in them at all. 

If it was a paraffin blend (not parasoy, but a 100% paraffin blend), it already has vybar in it, so adding more may have binded your scent, and not given you the throw you are expecting. 

In your first post you said you used EO, which I have never found to throw very well in wax, period, even though I know other people who have had success with EO's.

But because of my failures with EO's in wax, I will only use FO's. 

So have you tried both FO and EO, is that what you are saying? 

At what % are you adding your fragrance also, that could be another reason if you are not adding enough. Typical %'s for paraffin wax is about 6% FO load. But depending on the strength of the fragrance you can go up or down.. 

Another question, what type of scent are you using? Some scents are just light no matter the % load. i.e., I find plumeria for instance to just be a very light scent no matter what, even at 8%, however, I find other florals very strong and cloying at 2.5 - 3%.

I used kafir lime in the soy ones and orange in the paraffin ones.

I bought the oils from a dealer who says they are meant for candles... I am not sure whether it's an EO or FO.,. It does not specify... I guess it's EO.

its just pure paraffin wax with no additives 

i use a double boiler as I am fairly new at making candles and looking for a wax melter with a thermostat.We don't get those in India and I cannot get from the states as the voltage is not the same...

8 minutes ago, Vee said:

I used kafir lime in the soy ones and orange in the paraffin ones.

I bought the oils from a dealer who says they are meant for candles... I am not sure whether it's an EO or FO.,. It does not specify... I guess it's EO.

its just pure paraffin wax with no additives 

i use a double boiler as I am fairly new at making candles and looking for a wax melter with a thermostat.We don't get those in India and I cannot get from the states as the voltage is not the same...

Ahhh, I did not realize you were somewhere other than the States. 

I apologize. 

The next and probably should have been the first, question is the one that TallTayl posed - what type of warmer/melter are you using and what is the wattage of it?