Top sellers at craft shows so far..

Candybee

Thought some of you might be interested to know what is selling so far this fall. This is for may area in the Shenandoah Valley so it could be different for you.

Top sellers in order:

Apple Cinnamon - CS blend of mac apple, apple harvest & C&S christmas splendors & CS cinnamon

Nutmeg & Ginger - FC

Cedar Garland - FC

Christmas Tree - FC's Christmas Tree & CS Frazer Fir

Cranberry Orange - CS Cranberry Marmalade & C&S Orange

Mulberry Spice -CS Mulberry & Peaks Amish Harvest

Cinnamon Broom - FB

Pumpkin Pie - CS pumpkin pie & pumpkin souffle

Autumn Bonfire - AH Bonfire Bliss & CS Christmas Hearth

Frosted Gingerbread - FB gingerbread & AH French Vanilla

Slow Movers: (sales should pick up on these closer to the holidays)

Home for the Holidays - Peaks

Cinnamon Balsam - CS cinnamon & FC Christmas Tree

MW Sugar Cookie - FB

Not selling: Pumpkin Pecan Waffles - FB

I have not sold one Pumpkin Pecan Waffles. Customers are going for the spicy, fruity, woodsy scents this year.

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 2

Anything cinnamon or pumpkin is selling well for me right now.  And Leaves from Aztec. 

I had 5 customers come to my house yesterday!  Everyone even showed up who said they would. Now I need to make more Pumpkin Pie and PPW. Didn't sell any Apple, but one lady bought a Pineapple Cilantro, so you never know what a customer will like.  That's what makes it so interesting. 

I'm meeting a lady tomorrow who wants 4 more Black Raspberry  Vanilla.  She can't stand Pumpkin or cinnamon.  :)

• Like 1

I sell way more soaps than I do candles, and what sells mostly for me are my brightly colored fruity scented soaps. (most people, I find, don't want to smell like food or a Christmas tree in the shower! HAHA, so this stands to reason) 

I tried going the natural route a couple years ago with my soap, and had more plain/rustic looking soaps with light florals, natural type scents, etc... Didn't sell one. Not one, so I just don't make those type anymore. 

In candles, it's about the same, but I do sell a few more fall scented candles than soap, but not enough to call them "best sellers" KWIM? 

I always find it so interesting everyone's different experiences in different regions and markets. 

• Like 2

I have wholesale accounts.

My one huge apple orchard account for the life of me I swear, there is no top #1 sellers as they are all sellers.  Lucky for me.  I can put in any type fragrance whether it is a spa type, woodsy, baking, fruit and they are gone.  As long as the name of the Apple Orchard is on the label, it sells.  I have never ever seen anything like this in my life and I'm sure won't ever again.  They are tourist stop, bake shop, wine tasting venue and a huge orchard that is open year round.  People come up from Atlanta in bus loads headed only to this apple orchard.  All different seasons they have the "pick your own apples or berries, or whatever the season is...then you pick. Also big is anything in canning jars like homemade dips, sauces, etc.  They also make their own wines/hard cider....That's my next venture I've been working on to create candle fragrances in their own names in wine and ciders.  

Then I have another good account that is only a couple miles away and they are right down town from the apple orchard - maybe like 3 miles from one another.  Now this is somewhat of a high end account and they can't sell a thing that I sell at the orchard account.  And I know they get the same shoppers going to both places.  Now this account sells more spa type scents with only like 3 mountain scents mixed in like Christmas Hearth that I renamed to Crackling Firewood,  VBN changed to Toasted Vanilla.  Its amazing how the few scents they carry are the same exact scents as the apple orchard account and only the names have been changed to reflect a different atmosphere and clientelle such as theirs.  Now this shop has one of the candles burning 8 hours a day they are open and I've been there and actually seen and heard people coming right through the front door asking what beautiful scent is that in there....So her leverage there is by keeping candles going all the time.  Great way to promote the candle business.  And just by walking into this shop they get 2 to 3 times the amount in $$$ for pretty much (but slightly different) jars than the orchard account.  Their biggest seller has been all summer and now into fall Pineapple Cilantro which was renamed to Island Pineapple, then Lux Linen, then Lemon Verbena and all those friggin wine scents....especially the Chardonnay which I can't stand to make....

I'm very upfront and honest with my clients and tell them as it is.  And no one has the same jars.  I make it so each account is special and they have their own look with their own jars and labels.

Now another account is right down the road from my house a mile and believe me I'm way out in the sticks/boon docks..... I've even rode my horse to this store to get an ice cream......now how funny is that?   This is a very pretty General corner store, a country store, very neat, clean and very warm and welcoming.  They cater to the locals and in the summer they rent canoes and kayaks so they have the people who come to the mountains here and rent cabins and then of course the ones from Atlanta who have their second weekend homes they come up to for the holidays and weekends.  They are pretty much like the apple orchard account and in fact I use the same canning jar but with their own label.

Consistant sellers since this spring and even now into fall....Farmhouse Cider, Balsam Fir, Jolly Rancher Green Apple, Cinnamon Broom, Bananna Nut BRead, Peach Nectar, Orange Creamsicle, Coconut, Fresh Linen, Wild Mountain Honey, Lemon Biscotti, Fresh Strawberry, and even Pineapple Cilantro.  Actually what ever I make for the orchard account I make extras as I know this little country store will take the rest.

So these are the scents that have been selling for me.

Trappeur

• Like 3

Trap- I think my candle sales are similar to yours as my customers tend to be looking for that country type candle. Lots of tourists from DC area come out to the valley to vacation. They want 'country' souvenirs so jelly jars, mason jars type candles sell a lot. The locals also like canning style jars. I just use the straight sided round canning jars. Anyway, I only make candles now for the fall and holidays in fall/holiday scents.

I sell soap year round and like JC the bright colored soaps sell. I also did the 'natural' soaps for a while and when I switched to using bright colored micas and oxides my sales started soaring. My customers like florals, fruits, woods, and resins. I use both EOs and FOs and I sell whatever I make in bright, pretty colors and swirls.

This year candle sales have really picked up. Last year they were a hard sell and I was left with several cases. Now I can't make them fast enough. So I am exhausted but happy!

For us, a fragrance we renamed to Bright Sunshiny Day is our top seller and Mahogany Spice is picking up momentum. We're going to introduce Fall Magic under a different name but not sure what that will be. First have to get it made.

We're going to see what Karma does and Cinnamon Spiced Vanilla. 

I love every single blend that you created, the CS Cranberry Marmalade + Orange sounds really good. I only have CS Blood Orange, wonder if that would work ?

And how your came up with Frosted Gingerbread by adding French Vanilla - brilliant ! I for one wouldn't have thought adding vanilla . Your really good at blending.

When you start blending oils how do you do that so your not wasting so much oil in the event you don't like how it turned out ? Autumn Bonfire sounds awesome !

You have a knack for blending FO's and coming up with names ? Candy you use container palm wax right ? Ive been wanting to try palm for awhile it seems as if

they only accept 4-5% FO + must be poured very hot, is this correct ? Whats a good wick series to try out with palm ? Great job :) 

1 hour ago, Moonstar said:

When you start blending oils how do you do that so your not wasting so much oil in the event you don't like how it turned out ? Autumn Bonfire sounds awesome !

You have a knack for blending FO's and coming up with names ? Candy you use container palm wax right ? Ive been wanting to try palm for awhile it seems as if

they only accept 4-5% FO + must be poured very hot, is this correct ? Whats a good wick series to try out with palm ? Great job :) 

Most people who create blends will do so by putting the scents they want to blend, in the ratios they are considering on either cotton balls, or q-tips and let sit for a while to test the scent after it matures together. (Personally I just mix it, and if it's a dud, I won't use that blend again-I'm an odd one though when it comes to blending) 

I use container palm too, and you don't HAVE to pour very hot, however, if you want the beautiful crystalization, then you need to pour hot. 

I personally only use 3% or less FO in my palm containers because it holds scent so well, I've never bothered even trying at higher %'s. 

This weekend I just made 30 -5oz containers in palm using Baby Powder scent (which is a light scent) and only had to use 2% and my basement is permeated with the scent. Almost cloyingly so. 

On 9/25/2017 at 11:17 AM, Jcandleattic said:

Most people who create blends will do so by putting the scents they want to blend, in the ratios they are considering on either cotton balls, or q-tips and let sit for a while to test the scent after it matures together. (Personally I just mix it, and if it's a dud, I won't use that blend again-I'm an odd one though when it comes to blending) 

I use container palm too, and you don't HAVE to pour very hot, however, if you want the beautiful crystalization, then you need to pour hot. 

I personally only use 3% or less FO in my palm containers because it holds scent so well, I've never bothered even trying at higher %'s. 

This weekend I just made 30 -5oz containers in palm using Baby Powder scent (which is a light scent) and only had to use 2% and my basement is permeated with the scent. Almost cloyingly so. 

Do you mind me asking Jane which Palm wax you use and where you get it from,....it sounds so beautiful.  And you use only 3% oil?  Wow, that cuts down on the cost of making a candle.  But most palm you color correct?  If you don't color, you probably don't see the crystallization do you?  And what do you recommend for what series wicks to start with?  Geesh, I'm so sorry.....I don't mean to sabotage this thread.

Trappeur

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Scented said:

This one is really delicious. I will hope it reacts like yours has! 

I have used different Cinnamon Vanillas like RE's Creamy Cinnamon Vanilla, but now I just blend CS Cinnamon Stick with Vanilla Bean or Very Vanilla. 

I did get a sample of CS Cinnamon Vanilla and it was good OOB.

4 minutes ago, Trappeur said:

Do you mind me asking Jane which Palm wax you use and where you get it from,....it sounds so beautiful.  And you use only 3% oil?  Wow, that cuts down on the cost of making a candle.  But most palm you color correct?  If you don't color, you probably don't see the crystallization do you?  And what do you recommend for what series wicks to start with?  Geesh, I'm so sorry.....I don't mean to sabotage this thread.

Trappeur

This is why Im  really considering trying palm wax. Everyone says the HT is awesome. When Ive used palm in wax melts it really is amazing ! I know Pcbrook here on the 

forum uses palm exclusively and loves it ! I think palm looks best in appearance when colored IMO, especially in deep,rich colors. I was on BC yesterday and they have

a few different palm waxes.Ive always ordered the Feather Palm .

• Like 1

oh, feather palm sounds beautiful!  I just checked Flaming and CS (closest to me for shipping) and they don't carry that wax.  Do you know who I could check who carries it?  Community would be my next stop to check, but I don't think they do.

Trappeur

Feather palm is really a pillar wax. Whenever I have tried adding even just 5% feather palm to my crystal palm the wax pulls away from the jar and the whole candle rattles in the jars. Also, it can cause the candle to pull away from the bottom too so the wick is no longer anchored. Not good. So I quit trying to use it in jars. It does make beautiful pillars, votives, and tarts.

I use 6% FO in my palm just about straight across with all FOs. I tried 3% for some testers and they just were not strong enough for me. Palm throws great but I find through my testing that 6% load is what I prefer.

• Like 2

On 9/25/2017 at 9:20 AM, Moonstar said:

I love every single blend that you created, the CS Cranberry Marmalade + Orange sounds really good. I only have CS Blood Orange, wonder if that would work ?

And how your came up with Frosted Gingerbread by adding French Vanilla - brilliant ! I for one wouldn't have thought adding vanilla . Your really good at blending.

I use Candlewic's crystal container or IGI's glass glow palm. Either can take 6% FO load. That is what I use.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Trappeur said:

Trappeur

Well, I did get glass glow container wax from Peak, and I had some I got directly from the manufacture years ago (can't remember - I think it was Honeywell? Or Astor? one of those 2, and got every palm wax they had out at the time, in 50lb bags, and I still have a lot of it left) 

I use CD's in my palm candles, both container series and pillars. For pillars, I usually only make the 3x3 or the 3x6 and a CD10 works just about the best in most of them, however sometimes have to wick up to a CD12.

I've only made my 5oz apothecary candles in palm container, and a CD6 or 7 works for most every fragrance I have with these. 

Yes, 3% and the throw is awesome for the size/type candle I make... 

No color, you would still get the crystallization, however, it may be hard to see unless you were holding the candle in your hand. There are a few scents I don't color, but not many. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moonstar said:

This is why Im  really considering trying palm wax. Everyone says the HT is awesome. When Ive used palm in wax melts it really is amazing ! I know Pcbrook here on the 

forum uses palm exclusively and loves it ! I think palm looks best in appearance when colored IMO, especially in deep,rich colors. I was on BC yesterday and they have

a few different palm waxes.Ive always ordered the Feather Palm .

I made a tart in Dragons Blood in the palm wax, at my old job, I had a melter in my office, and decided to put 1 (small tart out of one of the small tin molds, you know what I mean, I think the tart maybe weighed 1oz...) in my melter.

I had to leave my office shortly after I turned my melter on to run across the street I can't remember for what, but literally when I came back, when the elevator doors opened to my floor, I was almost knocked over by the scent. LMFAO - umm, yeah, I got told I couldn't do that anymore, people were complaining it was so strong. The tart wasn't even completely melted... LOL 

Now mind you my floor we had 40 offices, that ringed the perimeter of the floor, and no matter where you went on the floor you could smell that 1 tart. HAHAH 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Jcandleattic said:

I made a tart in Dragons Blood in the palm wax, at my old job, I had a melter in my office, and decided to put 1 (small tart out of one of the small tin molds, you know what I mean, I think the tart maybe weighed 1oz...) in my melter.

I had to leave my office shortly after I turned my melter on to run across the street I can't remember for what, but literally when I came back, when the elevator doors opened to my floor, I was almost knocked over by the scent. LMFAO - umm, yeah, I got told I couldn't do that anymore, people were complaining it was so strong. The tart wasn't even completely melted... LOL 

Now mind you my floor we had 40 offices, that ringed the perimeter of the floor, and no matter where you went on the floor you could smell that 1 tart. HAHAH 

I must be the only person who's never tried Dragons Blood nor do I know what it smells like. I don't care for patchouli or incense scents, does it smell like that ? 

Sound like an episode from The Office lol ! OMG thats so hilarious !

6 minutes ago, Moonstar said:

I must be the only person who's never tried Dragons Blood nor do I know what it smells like. I don't care for patchouli or incense scents, does it smell like that ? 

Ditto Moonstar!  Never tried and I think because I just don't like the name "Dragons blood".

Trappeur

11 minutes ago, Trappeur said:

Ditto Moonstar!  Never tried and I think because I just don't like the name "Dragons blood".

Trappeur

Or the pictures that suppliers post with Dragon's Blood FO.  

I will never buy Bite Me either....can't stand those vampire teeth and dripping blood pics.  :D 

21 minutes ago, Trappeur said:

Trappeur

Same here. It was the name Dragons Blood thats always turned me of lol ! Its funny how we, or at least I make decisions based on photos or my perception 

of how something will smell. I was reading an interesting article in Psychology Today once that talked about the power of scent and how it can trigger memories .

It was very interesting.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Moonstar said:

I tried so many Dragon's Blood fo's from so many suppliers and could not stand any of them. yes, for the most part they smell like incense, however, I got a sample from Mad Oils (way back when) and it smelled so good - so unlike any others I had smelled. It does smell similar, but there is a sweetness to theirs that is just not in any of the others I have tried. I bought a lb of it before they stopped selling and just absolutely love it. Once this lb is gone, I will probably never use DB again... 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Trappeur said:

Trappeur

Of course I use my DB in a LOT of mixes I do, and change the name. One I mix, is DB with peppermint with a touch of vanilla and I call it "Dragon's Breath" - one I renamed Dragon's Scales,... etc., 

A name or a pic has never turned me off because for me I know I can just mix it, and/or just change the name... 

• Like 1