New Quantum waxes - smoking when melting

I wouldn't suggest 416 - the frosting is just AWFUL.  In the clamshells, its ok, but when I test melted it, the frost was disgusting in my melter once it cooled down.   I got ahold of some of the new Q230 and made tarts yesterday. The cold throw is amazing, and not one speck of frost on it! 

I did have the trace smell of vinegar when I melted the Q230, but it dissipated and I do not smell it in the finished tarts/clamshells.  No smoking when I melted it either. 

I have tried HTP, LX, and RRD wicks, various sizes with 2 different fragrances at 10% and 18% (NGI's supposed max fragrance load)... in Q210 wax.  NONE of them burnt any good at all. As has been stated previously, all my testers did the same thing.  They looked good, smooth tops..and they burnt well...for the first 5 or 10 min. The wax couldn't seem to get up the wick..all the different wicks got fat and stubby, then the wick died out. All those testers are now firestarters.  

So what do I go with now? I have limited suppliers in Canada...I've tried all the American Soy products..they were just ok..and the old Ecosoya.. Never tried C3, and one of my suppliers now has a coconut/soy blend. Here's their description. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

*We have now sourced a Canadian supplier for this item, but feel confident this is of the same quality as our "test" supply* Also, note the cases are now 50lbs (not 45lbs but a slightly better price).

Type: Coconut/Soy Vegetable Hybrid Blend (we do not have information on the percentages of the blend as this is proprietary information.)
Meltpoint: 124 degree
Primary Use: Container candles 
Packaging: Curd-like nugget wax flakes.
Scent Recommendation: Use up to 1.5 oz. fragrance per pound
Wick Suggestion: Paper core, Cotton Core, Premier & LX

Note that this is a softer wax with a lower melting point. The Coconut/Soy blend is odorless and white in colour and is comparable to soy wax with how it holds fragrance and colour.
Testing with this wax has been very promising and we look forward to hearing from our customers about their experiences using it!

Seems quite a few people burned by soy are flocking to coconut waxes. Coconut wax is its own animal with its own limitations and quirks, but I have to say I am liking it well enough to keep working with it. 

As i burn up the hundreds of failed soys to empty the containers, I appreciate other waxes more and more. 

Check out the wicking coconut wax thread for experiences people have shared. 

• Like 2

I am new to the group and only been making candles for 2 years. I just got the Q210 and I hated all the smoke, i thought I was doing something wrong. I used 6006 before and really had so many issues finding a wick that I wanted to give up but I did find a wick and made a nice candle. but I wanted to try soy so a few months ago started with c-3 and then 444....I let them cure but nothing thats why I got the Q210 because it was hyped up so much and ugh . I need a wax or wax combination advice..because a nice candle is not gonna do well you have to have an amazing candle with scent. Any suggestions or should I just hang it up??/

On 10/13/2017 at 10:09 PM, wthomas57 said:

I/We have mostly been talknig about after the candle is extinguished... not just when melting in the melters.

Every customer/tester who has used candles made out of this wax report the same problems. Its REALLY bad

You should certainly do a review of your experience about these waxes on the site in which they were purchased. Suppliers and the manufacturer needs to hear real experiences from expert candle makers and not just the reviews of those being paid or those selling the waxes. 

• Like 1

I'd also send the feedback directly to the manufacturer. Too often the retailers fail to keep posted any negative reviews. Nor do they pass along feedback to their suppliers. So the info is lost early in the process, and nothing changes. 

5 hours ago, Nickie said:

You should certainly do a review of your experience about these waxes on the site in which they were purchased. Suppliers and the manufacturer needs to hear real experiences from expert candle makers and not just the reviews of those being paid or those selling the waxes. 

Oh, I have. :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TallTayl said:

I'd also send the feedback directly to the manufacturer. Too often the retailers fail to keep posted any negative reviews. Nor do they pass along feedback to their suppliers. So the info is lost early in the process, and nothing changes. 

I've also done this. :)

• Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

I'm new to this forum and honestly just found it due to googling the issues I have been having with the Q210 Soy....it's AWFUL!  I live on an Island so I ordered a few hundred pounds to make my stock for Christmas but I am stumped.  I have had the exact issues with smoking while melting the wax, and the burn is ok but the smoking after is ridiculous!   It makes the my hole studio stink! I've tried the CD, Eco, HTP, and the RRD wicks but they all smoke. 

Has anyone tried to cut it with Coconut Wax?  I don't want to waste it but I won't sell 1 candle made with the wax as it is!  Any other suggestions to blend it?  

Do tarts smoke that are made with this wax?  I would imagine they would....

Angie 

On 10/8/2017 at 10:24 AM, Trappeur said:

I got this box first:

Lot F   Dated 9/23/2017 - Wax is very greasy, sticky and shiny.. and little hard to dig out of box

Next box I got like a couple days after the above box:

Lot A  Dated 7/20/2017 - Wax is very dry with no shine...... I could pour this out of the box if I had to.

Trappeur

I'm just wondering how much of the difference supplier storage makes?   I've noticed since I'm using a dehumidifier my C3 is way dryer and not sticky at all like it was before.  Never greasy but sticky for sure.  I'm also noticing more shrinkage than before but that could also be batch issues.  I've also noticed when I pick up C3 and get it from Gen Wax's store it's dryer than when they ship it from their warehouse.  It's only on the truck 1 day since I'm in CA.

I decided to use some of my Q210 sample...which hasn't worked for me at all.  But the latest test I melted 16oz of Q210...added 1oz of Coconut Oil (in a tin from Walmart...its a solid..not sure if you would call it "oil" or "wax" but it is solid at room temp)...1 oz FO, poured it into 2 glass tumblers 3" dia and used a Premium 799 wick... Tried the first one after 48 hrs so I could check the burn...and to my suprise, it actually burned very well!!  No real hot throw yet, which might be due to the light FO i used, but I was only trying to get a good burn.  I will be trying the other candle in a few days to see what the HT is like.  The only thing i did notice with the Q210 was the colour was very beige... But the Premier wicks seemed to work a lot better than the HTP and LX, which were the ones I first tried.