New Quantum waxes - smoking when melting

Anyone else notice the new eco waxes, at least Q210 and Q220, smoking when initially melting in melting pot.

Has nothing to do with temperature melting to as its on low setting and gradually melting slowly. Nowhere near

the max temp and constantly smoking/vaping. Its like a steam constantly coming off the melting wax.

I read someone else having this too but was curious if this is just normal. It does it literally every time

in any melting pot

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wthomas57 said:

Anyone else notice the new eco waxes, at least Q210 and Q220, smoking when initially melting in melting pot.

Has nothing to do with temperature melting to as its on low setting and gradually melting slowly. Nowhere near

the max temp and constantly smoking/vaping. Its like a steam constantly coming off the melting wax.

I read someone else having this too but was curious if this is just normal. It does it literally every time

in any melting pot

It's smoking as well....sounds to me like this stuff is crap 

I can't imagine that would be a good thing 😳 on the data sheet it says not to inhale the vapors or mist so they had to of added many chemicals to this wax which again makes me believe it is so altered that is it even worth using? 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I had the same problem with Q210. There was a weird white vapour that stank of vinegar, just after taking the melting pot off the heat at 185 F. I put my face over to see if it was burning and the vapour went right up my nose and made me cough.

• Like 1

Wow ! What all of you are describing is very concerning. It makes me wonder if it puts your health at risk. @IamGroot  even noted that is smells of vinegar coming from 

a vapor as its melting and causes coughing. TT what is DPG ? For those using 6006 or soy waxes, are you noticing this as well or is it just with the new Q210 + Q220 ?

Any of you contacted the supplier where you bought the wax from to let them know any of this ? Im wondering what the response from them has been .

Wow......I've been following all the posts about the new waxes that are out and everyone is trying and all I can say I'm so sorry for all of you.  It has to be horrible for all of you.  I haven't heard one positive good response from anyone.  Has anyone contacted any of the suppliers that you are ordering from and asking if they have tested these waxes yet and with certain wicks?  Maybe that needs to be done and see what they recommend and see what waxes they have "personally" tested and what wicks they suggest?  Such a bad bad shame... all the money you have all lost in ordering these waxes and all the money the suppliers are MAKING off of everyone...just not right. 

Trappeur 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Trappeur said:

Wow......I've been following all the posts about the new waxes that are out and everyone is trying and all I can say I'm so sorry for all of you.  It has to be horrible for all of you.  I haven't heard one positive good response from anyone.  Has anyone contacted any of the suppliers that you are ordering from and asking if they have tested these waxes yet and with certain wicks?  Maybe that needs to be done and see what they recommend and see what waxes they have "personally" tested and what wicks they suggest?  Such a bad bad shame... all the money you have all lost in ordering these waxes and all the money the suppliers are MAKING off of everyone...just not right. 

Trappeur 

@Trappeur I kind of feel the same way about 464 soy.  After testing, testing, testing different sizes of wicks, I still do not have the hot throw I use to have.  I fear past customers will be disappointed and stop buying.  So what is left is adjusting the % of oil, I guess.  More testing. . .

GoldieMN

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoldieMN said:

@Trappeur I kind of feel the same way about 464 soy.  After testing, testing, testing different sizes of wicks, I still do not have the hot throw I use to have.  I fear past customers will be disappointed and stop buying.  So what is left is adjusting the % of oil, I guess.  More testing. . .

GoldieMN

Goldie I hope Trap chimes in because I know she uses 464 

and I asked her the same question 

i believe having to wick down she says are the only changes No change in HT. I think she said HT has even improved. She orders from Flaming. I sure do hope she sees this because I'd be curious to see if anything has changed with her. Goldie where do 

you get your 464 wax ? 

Edited by Moonstar

I'm here....lol

I have found dropping down to cd10's its a slower burn and have not found it to be less throw, really.  Actually I probably could have gone to a cd 10 a while back but the difference between the 10 and 12 was that it took too long to get a melt pool and I was afraid people would blow them out and the candle would start tunneling so I chose the cd 12... But I really do like the cd 10 quite well.  And I really don't see a difference in scent throw at all, in fact some throws were even better.    Now I have a store account that burns sample candles all day long each day they are open and for sure if there was any sort of problem she would have let me known about it for sure as she is a very difficult person to work with and she knows  my candles very well and how they are supposed to perform.  And too....each one of us detects scent throw in their own way of what is considered to be a nice strong throw.  I have never gotten 1 candle back because of lack of throw or not as strong as it used to be.....KNOCK ON WOOD..that doesn't mean I won't though...lol - but so far so good.

Don't know what this means....but here are the last two boxes of wax I got from Flaming these past 2 weeks.

I got this box first:

Lot F   Dated 9/23/2017 - Wax is very greasy, sticky and shiny.. and little hard to dig out of box

Next box I got like a couple days after the above box:

Lot A  Dated 7/20/2017 - Wax is very dry with no shine...... I could pour this out of the box if I had to.

Trappeur

• Like 1

First I have to say, many of you have it much worse off than I do.  Anyone waiting for the Ecosoya waxes and then having so many problems with replacements are dealing with a lot more than I am.  Also, I probably mentioned before, I don't use anywhere near as many scents as many of you do.  Bless all of you who have been testing these new waxes and reporting on this forum, in detail, your results with the various wicks.  :rolleyes:

Second, I use to buy my 464 from Nature's Garden because wax + shipping was less for me than anywhere else.  This time, I got a better deal from Rustic Escentuals.  Since I was ordering fragrance oils as well, it saved me on that shipping as well.  The last three boxes all purchased at the same time are Lot F,  5/4/17.   The one I opened seems "normal".  HAHAHA. . .whatever that is!

Third, I do like the idea of wicking down for a safer candle.  Just need to figure out how to get the hot throw back up there.  Back to testing. :angry:

GoldieMN

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Trappeur said:

I'm here....lol

I have found dropping down to cd10's its a slower burn and have not found it to be less throw, really.  Actually I probably could have gone to a cd 10 a while back but the difference between the 10 and 12 was that it took too long to get a melt pool and I was afraid people would blow them out and the candle would start tunneling so I chose the cd 12... But I really do like the cd 10 quite well.  And I really don't see a difference in scent throw at all, in fact some throws were even better.    Now I have a store account that burns sample candles all day long each day they are open and for sure if there was any sort of problem she would have let me known about it for sure as she is a very difficult person to work with and she knows  my candles very well and how they are supposed to perform.  And too....each one of us detects scent throw in their own way of what is considered to be a nice strong throw.  I have never gotten 1 candle back because of lack of throw or not as strong as it used to be.....KNOCK ON WOOD..that doesn't mean I won't though...lol - but so far so good.

Don't know what this means....but here are the last two boxes of wax I got from Flaming these past 2 weeks.

I got this box first:

Lot F   Dated 9/23/2017 - Wax is very greasy, sticky and shiny.. and little hard to dig out of box

Next box I got like a couple days after the above box:

Lot A  Dated 7/20/2017 - Wax is very dry with no shine...... I could pour this out of the box if I had to.

Trappeur

Did you get your box ?

To chime in on the Q210 - I also noticed the smoking when heated beginning at a very low temperature.  After putting the candle out, it does smoke like crazy (CD and HTP wicks) and I noticed black streams in the wax after it re - solidifies. One issue I am also having is the wick will burn fine for a good 4 hours, and then the flame becomes very small like its drowning. This is with a 6% fragrance load. The MP's were great as one candle had an HTP 83 and the other an HTP 93.  Both had a nice size say 1/2 inch melt pool - from the first hour to the fouth hour, then the flame slowly but surely began to - "Drown".  One candle I tested "Christmas Splendor" the flame was ridiculously high - 6% FO Load, but the top part of the melt pool was very dark - almost black, but the rest of the melt pool beneath it was quite clear and very deep. I will see if I can upload some photos. All this rucus  and long wait over this wax - but it makes me wonder if we are seeing this - why didn't the Manufacturer?  I will try to post some photos shortly.  - I am afraid to even test again with 464 - with all the issues I am reading about. 6006 started to give me issues a good year ago and I left that alone. Is there a good wax out there?

Picture 1 - Christmas Splendor - 6% FO -(Pink Candle) First of the 4. Notice the Black at the top pool - Beneath is clear. All candles smoked like a train as each were blew out. The other 2 burned ok. The last grayish purple candle - Blueberry Muffin 6% - flame pretty much drowned out. All burned a good 4 hours.

Picture 2 - Purple Hooters - doing good. 

Picture 3  - Purple Hooters - Flames Drowning. 

Q210 Testers 1.png

Vibrant HTP 83 and 93  - 3 Hour Burn.png

HTP 83 and 93 - 4 - 5 Hour Burn.png

Edited by Grani L

14 minutes ago, Grani L said:

To chime in on the Q210 - I also noticed the smoking when heated beginning at a very low temperature.  After putting the candle out, it does smoke like crazy (CD and HTP wicks) and I noticed black streams in the wax after it re - solidifies. One issue I am also having is the wick will burn fine for a good 4 hours, and then the flame becomes very small like its drowning. This is with a 6% fragrance load. The MP's were great as one candle had an HTP 83 and the other an HTP 93.  Both had a nice size say 1/2 inch melt pool - from the first hour to the fouth hour, then the flame slowly but surely began to - "Drown".  One candle I tested "Christmas Splendor" the flame was ridiculously high - 6% FO Load, but the top part of the melt pool was very dark - almost black, but the rest of the melt pool beneath it was quite clear and very deep. I will see if I can upload some photos. All this rucus  and long wait over this wax - but it makes me wonder if we are seeing this - why didn't the Manufacturer?  I will try to post some photos shortly.  - I am afraid to even test again with 464 - with all the issues I am reading about. 6006 started to give me issues a good year ago and I left that alone. Is there a good wax out there?

This is what happens when a manufacturer suddenly pulls a great product and then gets lots of pressure to replace it. They CLEARLY didn't thoroughly test this for candles... at least not enough. This stuff is no good. The issues you are describing are in addition to all the other problems. I am done with it. I did EXTENSIVE testing, nearly every wick imaginable, probably about 20 FOs, multiple jars, multiple variations in the process of using it. Its just not good. Out of the FEW testers that burned well, they all still had one thing in common; they smoked FOR SO LONG after extinuguising. Not just a little longer... not "oh my customers will get used to it longer". I mean... WAY TOO LONG and WAY TOO MUCH SMOKE. Everyone person.. and I mean EVERY customer/tester I use said they would hate that and not buy it again purely because of the smoke itself. Its crazy how smokey it is... regardless of the wick. It has to deal with the chemicals in the wax itself (probably the thing that makes it vapor and smoke when in the melter. 

The wax itself is very inconsistent as well. I have already noticed this in just a few different orders. Some stink, some doesn't. Some is softer, some is harder. Some melts worth a damn, some doesn't. Some has descent throw, some doesn't. They all smoke like crazy though, so there's that for consistency. :)

Save your time and money and avoid this junk. EcoSoya/NGI needs to go back to the drawing boards. This is an utter failure. I hope no one takes offense to this, but in my opinion... those that are posting even half-way descent reviews of this wax on websites, you tube, etc.... are either getting paid to do so or they dont know enough about candle making or haven't done enough testing.

• Like 2

I want to thank all of you for all of this information. I have not been able to get my hands on any wax as things are a bit slow for me and getting anything new has been put aside for now.

It sounds like these new waxes are on not worth my time. However, I don't make candles, I make wax melts.  Do you think they would still be awful waxes to use for wax melts?

As I research about what new waxes to use, I'm just confused!  I did so much research years ago to get the perfect waxes and this is just so frustrating to have to start all over.  But that was all before this trouble with soy waxes. I worry if I don't use all soy that my customers won't come back.  And I'll have to redo ALL of my labels.  argh!

On 10/9/2017 at 1:28 PM, Grani L said:

Picture 1 - Christmas Splendor - 6% FO -(Pink Candle) First of the 4. Notice the Black at the top pool - Beneath is clear. All candles smoked like a train as each were blew out. The other 2 burned ok. The last grayish purple candle - Blueberry Muffin 6% - flame pretty much drowned out. All burned a good 4 hours.

Picture 2 - Purple Hooters - doing good. 

Picture 3  - Purple Hooters - Flames Drowning. 

Q210 Testers 1.png

Vibrant HTP 83 and 93  - 3 Hour Burn.png

HTP 83 and 93 - 4 - 5 Hour Burn.png

😳😳😳

is thst seriuisly how much smoke your getting after extinguishing?? Top picture 3rd one from the left 

I am in disbelief that they launched this wax as comparables to anything but garbage 

41 minutes ago, SuzyK said:

I want to thank all of you for all of this information. I have not been able to get my hands on any wax as things are a bit slow for me and getting anything new has been put aside for now.

It sounds like these new waxes are on not worth my time. However, I don't make candles, I make wax melts.  Do you think they would still be awful waxes to use for wax melts?

As I research about what new waxes to use, I'm just confused!  I did so much research years ago to get the perfect waxes and this is just so frustrating to have to start all over.  But that was all before this trouble with soy waxes. I worry if I don't use all soy that my customers won't come back.  And I'll have to redo ALL of my labels.  argh!

Hi SuzyK!

I'm in the same boat. I've tested the Q230 for melts and was pretty disappointed. At 10% FO load there is very little to no cold throw. We sort of stopped our test there as there we simply can't sell a product that requires an FO load much higher than 10% and we especially can't sell a product that has no cold throw. Many of our fragrances were also distorted by a terrible vinegar smell given off by the wax that was very strong in the melted form and unfortunately still present in the final scented product. We tried and tried and tried to get it to work...even mixing it with other soy and it still was terrible. It's not as hard as ecosoya PB was and it doesn't release from molds easily at all. It also is very greasy and soft. I do not feel like there is a good option for 100% soy melts/tarts right now and that is a huge headache for us, as we also have packaging printed for a natural soy product. We luckily still have 50lbs of ecosoya PB that we are using until we can find an alternative.

Edited by aviking

43 minutes ago, SuzyK said:

Suzy - I have not tried any of these waxes and refuse to do so - I appreciate the above people sharing their experiences and it's confirmed what I kinda thought was going to be the case like most other soy on the market now - not good 

read the msds sheets on the waxes and it's pretty scary - it says not to inhale the vapors or mists so what exactly does that mean.....you can't avoid that when melting a melt!  Cases of vinegar smell and coughing when melting, not good 

if your needing to use soy like myself as PB was a big part of my blend I am finding American soy pillar and tart blend to be pretty good so far - it's shinier than I like but it breaks clean in a clamshell and has good ht an Ct

my next series of tests will be adding container soy- 415 to blend to see if it dulls the appearance and boosts throw even more 

Edited by moonshine