Soy drops

Timber

Curious if anyone here has made scented soy drops & what your opinion was?  I ran across Flicker's tutorial on candlesoylutions on how to make them & it sounds almost too easy!  Wax pastilles mixed with FO & dye until it absorbs, no melting/mixing/pouring.  Searching here, I didn't find too many threads about it but did see a mention that someone thinks that is what Pink Zebra does.

I'm wondering if the wax really absorbs that well in a dry state & is there a better brand over others.  I'm thinking if this works well, it would be so easy for my 6 yr old to help out when making gifts for his teachers & aides.

I have never made them myself but I have bought them from a company I think was called Bean Pod and I didn't think they were very fragrant compared to actual wax melts - I am not a chemist by any means but it's hard for me to believe a solid wax can absorb oil better than melting the wax with the oil and pouring into molds....but again I have never tried it so I really can't say 

Scented salts are another option for gifts for teachers and they are super easy to make 

let us know if you try it - curious how it turns out and your daughter would probably love it - just keep safety precautions in mind when using oils with gloves and I recommend at the very least a painters mask if not respirators 

Yes, I almost forgot about the scented salts!  That's another thing I want to try. Thank you!

I'm skeptical about how well the wax absorbs too.  I made one purchase from somebody's party that raved about them & was disappointed.  Guess I thought if I do it myself, I could try to use up to the wax's full load for FO & see how it works.

1 hour ago, Timber said:

Yes, I almost forgot about the scented salts!  That's another thing I want to try. Thank you!

I'm skeptical about how well the wax absorbs too.  I made one purchase from somebody's party that raved about them & was disappointed.  Guess I thought if I do it myself, I could try to use up to the wax's full load for FO & see how it works.

Home Depot sells Morton pool salt for like $5 per 40lb bag. Rediculously cheap. I got a flour strainer and filtered out the very fine particles and salt dust and set aside the larger crystals to tinker with. I think I ended up using 1/2oz FO : 1lb salt and colored with liquid candle dye. Took about 2 full days in a throw away mason jar to fully dry out. They are super fragrant and I ave yet to put heat on them. I have read that you can put them in a regular tart melter and heat them or just put in a bowl and place wherever, but heated will throw better.

They were cheap as heck and your kiddo sure could help. Just make sure you handle the dye and FO and he/she can play with the salt!

Link to dalt here: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Morton-40-lb-Pool-Salt-3460/100575298

Edited by Clear Black
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Clear Black said:

Home Depot sells Morton pool salt for like $5 per 40lb bag. Rediculously cheap. I got a flour strainer and filtered out the very fine particles and salt dust and set aside the larger crystals to tinker with. I think I ended up using 1/2oz FO : 1lb salt and colored with liquid candle dye. Took about 2 full days in a throw away mason jar to fully dry out. They are super fragrant and I ave yet to put heat on them. I have read that you can put them in a regular tart melter and heat them or just put in a bowl and place wherever, but heated will throw better.

They were cheap as heck and your kiddo sure could help. Just make sure you handle the dye and FO and he/she can play with the salt!

Link to dalt here: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Morton-40-lb-Pool-Salt-3460/100575298

Wow! Thanks so much for all the great info!  I'm thinking the salts are the way to go. 

33 minutes ago, Timber said:

Wow! Thanks so much for all the great info!  I'm thinking the salts are the way to go. 

No problem! Just get some over sized mason jars and put your salt/fo mixture inside and close.  Every time you walk by them over the next few days, shake them all around.

Just be aware its rather late in the pool season and they may be hard to find. If they dont have them in store, ask a clerk to see where the nearest store has them, if it isnt within driving distance, request them to arrive on the next truck.

Edited by Clear Black

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/9/2017 at 6:42 AM, GoldieMN said:

How do people package these to sell?  Packaging?  Instructions?

GoldieMN

So many ways to package. Cellophane bags,organza bags, deli tubs, Mason jars, sell it in bins or bowls bulk by the scoop. It is pretty so it is nice to be to see it through the package.

s-l400.jpg

• Like 2

18 hours ago, candyb said:

I think the salt you use is personal preference, big and chunky or fine. I am not familiar with the super soft but I know if after a few days it doesn't absorb all the oil just add more salt.

CB, are those your in that photo? If so may I ask what you use to color them and which salt you are using? They look so uniform in size, the ones I get from Home Depot are no way near that uniform and are the larger crystals.

• Like 1

No that is a picture from google, but I think that is epsom salt.

8 hours ago, Clear Black said:

CB, are those your in that photo? If so may I ask what you use to color them and which salt you are using? They look so uniform in size, the ones I get from Home Depot are no way near that uniform and are the larger crystals.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/26/2017 at 5:26 PM, morethanrubies said:

I made a few batches and I am getting no hot throw from my warmer :( I used 1/2 oz per 16 oz.

I had to use more than 1/2 oz. I think it was 1 1/2 to 2 ozs.  If you put a tablespoon or so of the salts  in a warmer that wouldn't be much fragrance oil.  I would try upping the ratio.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, candyb said:

I had to use more than 1/2 oz. I think it was 1 1/2 to 2 ozs.  If you put a tablespoon or so of the salts  in a warmer that wouldn't be much fragrance oil.  I would try upping the ratio.

I wonder if it was your warmer. Three or four drops of fragrance in my warmer and it can gag you. I can't imagine putting 2 ounces of anything in my warmers.

On 10/30/2017 at 12:19 PM, TallTayl said:

I wonder if it was your warmer. Three or four drops of fragrance in my warmer and it can gag you. I can't imagine putting 2 ounces of anything in my warmers.

She is scenting 1 pound of salt crystals and then putting some of those in the warmer, a small scoop or tablespoon amount of the scented salt. Agree with you on putting that much oil in the warmer at once, gag city.

Try adding a scoop of plain salt (sea, kosher, table,solar, whatever) and a few drops of oil on the salt on the melter/warmer and see if you get any throw. It should fill your space if the warmer is warm enough and the scent is going to throw.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...