Hot throw. IGI 6006 vs Para-Soy 600

ozzie

I get excellent hot scent throw using the 6006 70% paraffin and 30% soy. I'm wondering about the Para-soy 600 wax approximately 52% soy and 48% paraffin because the 6006 is messy to work with. Is throw in direct proportion to the amount of paraffin wax in the blend ...the more paraffin, the better the scent throw??

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ozzie said:

I get excellent hot scent throw using the 6006 70% paraffin and 30% soy. I'm wondering about the Para-soy 600 wax approximately 52% soy and 48% paraffin because the 6006 is messy to work with. Is throw in direct proportion to the amount of paraffin wax in the blend ...the more paraffin, the better the scent throw??

The short and quick but unreliable answer is, typically, yes. 

However, I have had some 100% soy chandlers make just as good of a scent throwing candle as any 100% paraffin candle. 

It's all in the type of scents you use, wax/wick/jar/ % of fragrance. It all works in combination with each other and it all boils down to testing. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, wthomas57 said:

Did you say 6006 was messy? Compared to what? Are you sure you sued 6006, lol?

I use 6006 and wouldn't call it messy. I mean its not rock hard but its nothing like 4627. Heck even 4630 is messier

and people wonder why message boards are dying 

31 minutes ago, ozzie said:

What do you mean? It was lighthearted and also a reasonable question. There is lots of good info all over this board.

And it was a legit question. People are going to be reluctant to give advise if they aren't 100% sure they know what you are referring to.

There are lots of parasoy blends and I wanted to make sure you were actually referring to 6006. I've never heard 6006 referred to as messy.

But either way, it was still lighthearted. Skin + thicker = better conversations. Just saying.

And yes, GENERALLY parrafin has better HT... GENERALLY. But I also have 6006 that throws better than other parasoys with more parrafin. There are lots of factors.

Which again... why I wanted to clarify it was actually 6006 you used before.

• Like 8

On 9/14/2017 at 4:40 PM, ozzie said:

I wish there were an easy answer. Anything to do with soy is kind of a loaded question these days since soy wax has changed so much this year. We have several active threads about this so I problems were all facing.

I found a lot has to do with the wick and container more so than just the amount of paraffin. Some 100% soy candles blow away many of the paraffin candles I've purchased. 

Were a great group here. Give us a chance. We have a lot of fun chandling, sharing and learning together. Lots of very seasoned pros share and help others out. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Were a great group here. Give us a chance. We have a lot of fun chandling, sharing and learning together. Lots of very seasoned pros share and help others out. 

Agreed... we have friendly banter here as well. We are all on here for the same thing.... share, learn, and fun conversation

• Like 4

• 8 months later...
On 9/18/2017 at 8:43 PM, wthomas57 said:

Heck even 4630 is messier

This comment threw me, especially coming from someone whose opinions I have come to trust. I’ve only had one slab of 4630 and it wasn’t messy so much as it was hard. I can cut my 6006 with a butter knife; the 4630 took a sharp edge and some force to cut it. Did I just get an extra hard slab of 4630?   

6 minutes ago, Forrest said:

This comment threw me, especially coming from someone whose opinions I have come to trust. I’ve only had one slab of 4630 and it wasn’t messy so much as it was hard. I can cut my 6006 with a butter knife; the 4630 took a sharp edge and some force to cut it. Did I just get an extra hard slab of 4630?   

It can vary.  I received some really hard 4630 recently.  More opaque, harder to cut, doesn't wick the same, doesn't look the same.  The only thing that was the same is the throw.   In the past I've seen some slight variance in 4630 from batch to batch, but it was always a soft wax, kinda sticky, and never required an adjustment in wicking.  In comparison, the harder 4630 looks like a totally different wax.

• Thanks 1

On 6/9/2018 at 9:16 AM, Forrest said:

That brittle-ness may have been what he was referring to. I use an ice cream scoop to get 6006 out of the box. Very easy. But having to chisel slab waxes apart can result in lots of pieces everywhere. Very messy lol. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 6/9/2018 at 1:31 AM, Testing123 said:

problend 600 is messier than 6006

Hello Testing123. Right now I have the 6006 and that's all I've tried so far. In my research, I liked the parasoy blend and since I started with CandleScience, went with 6006. However, I have discovered that FlamingCandle is not too far from me and was going to look into the possibility of picking up my supplies vs shipping. With that being said, I'm curious about how the Problend 600 stacks up to the 6006 (other than the messiness lol). Any information you are willing to share is appreciated.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Echap77 said:

Hello Testing123. Right now I have the 6006 and that's all I've tried so far. In my research, I liked the parasoy blend and since I started with CandleScience, went with 6006. However, I have discovered that FlamingCandle is not too far from me and was going to look into the possibility of picking up my supplies vs shipping. With that being said, I'm curious about how the Problend 600 stacks up to the 6006 (other than the messiness lol). Any information you are willing to share is appreciated.

Great question!  You can also get lots of info by searching for that wax here on the forum.  I'm sure there have been many discussions about this topic :thumbsup2:

11 hours ago, Echap77 said:

As far as hot throw, I don't think you can know without extensive testing. The first problem is HT is very hard to quantify. The second problem you run into is that some FOs may throw better in one wax and some in the other. As a general rule you the higher the percentage of paraffin the better the HT, but I know there are FOs that can throw better in soy than they do in 6006. If I had a lab that was properly configured, a few thousand dollars for supplies, about ten volunteers, and six months I could probably get a definitive answer, but that's not happening. I read a lot on this board before switching to 6006 and I don't think you'll do any better in a para-soy. You may find one that works better for you, but all you can do is keep trying different ones. I find 6006 easy to work with. As for being messy I would add that it is also easy to clean up. What I have learned from the experts on this board is that if you're having HT problems it is more likely to be process or wicking issues than your wax. I picked up my last order from Flaming and saved a bunch of money, nice people and easy to work with.    

• Like 1

I use 6006 for most of my candles and it is not messy at all to work with. Most fragrances in 6006 work well but there are some that seem to throw better Clarus 3022 parasoy blend that I use. I also have used 4627 wax for years and that wax is very messy but has an incredible hot and cold throw. It's all about what works for you and your applications. 

• Like 2

On 9/19/2017 at 3:02 PM, ozzie said:
On 9/18/2017 at 9:43 PM, wthomas57 said:

Did you say 6006 was messy? Compared to what? Are you sure you sued 6006, lol?

I use 6006 and wouldn't call it messy. I mean its not rock hard but its nothing like 4627. Heck even 4630 is messier

I do not think that @wthomas57 was being rude to you at all for your comment. I believe they thought it was a surprise that you found 6006 to be messy, and I to wouldn't think 6006 was messy compared to the 4627 which I use. Everyone has their own opinions on what messy is I suppose 4627 takes that title by landslide but I love it😂😂

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ScentedPleasurez said:

I do not think that @wthomas57 was being rude to you at all for your comment. I believe they thought it was a surprise that you found 6006 to be messy, and I to wouldn't think 6006 was messy compared to the 4627 which I use. Everyone has their own opinions on what messy is I suppose 4627 takes that title by landslide but I love it😂😂

Correct, I didn't mean anything rude by it at all. I was honestly thinking they may have been confusing it with another wax as 6006 I wouldn't consider messy. Thanks for having my back. :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wthomas57 said:

Correct, I didn't mean anything rude by it at all. I was honestly thinking they may have been confusing it with another wax as 6006 I wouldn't consider messy. Thanks for having my back. :)

No problem 😁 I didn't think u were and one thing people forget before comments  are made and that is you are reading text. A person's mood is guaranteed to make text sound negatively even if it's not meant that way. 

I am here I am a 4627 wax lover and gosh darn it I want it to keep the title of messiest wax😂😂