"Breaking up" with my supplier

Dana

I am just shocked and saddened the supplier that I have been doing business with for at least 13 years has treated me poorly and I have no other choice but to "break up". I ordered a pallet of jars from FC last week. I decided to go with a slightly different jar (anchor hocking mason) since they are American made and I have been having trouble with the jars quality that I was getting. The glass had splits and I was having to discard so many of them. Of course I talked to them about this and they said it must have been the end of a run and the mold gets dirty or whatever. Anyway, I made a big decision to go with these new jars mainly because of the quality issue and I have gotten glass from Anchor Hocking before and the quality was very nice. I also liked the slightly different look as I was getting a little bored with the jars I have been using for so long but didn't want to change to much because after all I have a customer base that expects a certain look. So after at least 4 phone calls to FC and much deliberation I decided to switch. The description on the web page described the jar very well, I thought. Its packaged in cases of 12, that's good. So the pallet arrives (with a little confusion on UPS Freight's part, but it finally does arrive) and the jars have a cardboard wrap around them but not in boxes! That is a game changer for me as I shuffle cases around to shows and wholesale accounts, fundraisers, etc. So NOW what am I to do? These jars are all stacked on top of each other so on the center of the pallet who knows what is broken and I'm supposed to sign off on the shipment saying its in undamaged condition. Well now, if they were in boxes I can usually guess they would be unbroken. I have had pallets when I was just starting out come without boxes and had so many broken down inside there that I said NEVER AGAIN! I had the driver pull out one of the jars just to make sure it was what I ordered. It was. I did love the jars, that wasn't the problem. The problem was no boxes. It didn't state ANYWHERE on the webpage. There was no picture of how they were packaged. My other jars had always come with boxes so I didn't even think that these wouldn't. I HAVE to have boxes! SO I had to make a quick executive decision and refuse the shipment. I talked to the driver and he knew the predicament I was in so he said he had a few more stops in my town and he would go deliver while I called FC. I called and believe I got Keith but it wasn't the nice Keith I used to know.....I explained that I need boxes and the website did not state that these would not have boxes. I would like my usual jars sent instead. He said he in no way would pay for the shipping back to them. I was just floored. Mind you, my cost to have them shipped to me was $246 or something like that so you KNOW their cost is much less. We are talking about a difference of about $100 for him to pay for the shipping back. I would pay for the new shipment. He refused. I asked him "So you are willing to end our business relationship after all these years over $100?"  He said "Well I will not pay for shipping back that pallet, so if that's what you want, then so be it" I was so taken back I just stood there with my mouth hanging open. I happen to have a customer in the shop at the time and she was patiently waiting and over heard our conversation and she was like wow, you handled that so eloquently. I don't get feisty very often and felt like screaming at him, so it was good to hear that I wasn't acting deserving to be treated that way. So what would you all do? I feel I have no other choice but to sever the ties. I am stuck because I get some fragrance oils from there an would have to find replacements. Hard to do this time of year! So is FC getting to big for its britches now that they are carrying all the candle supplies or what is his problem?!

I had to get some jars coming because I was extremely low and have a show this weekend. I ordered from Fruend on Friday and called first thing this morning to verify shipping arrangements, etc. VERY nice and professional people. Cheaper too! Sometimes bad turns into a good thing I guess. Idk, still so confused by the whole thing with Fillmore. They could have made that money back on shipping with my exchange order. I guess if they aren't sharp enough to figure that out that's their problem.

Another thing that I wanted to just give a heads up about is the size of the Anchor Hocking 8 oz mason. It holds only 6 ounces if you fill to the top of the shoulder. They claim its an 8oz jar, well maybe to the tippy top it is but they also say the other mason is 8oz and that is 10 oz to the tippy top. So which one is it? I only ordered 50 cases of those so wasn't to concerned but I would have to change my pricing because I only fill to the shoulder. Just a heads up on that for anyone wondering.

I don't know about Fillmore but I've had a couple of really bad experiences with Companies I've been using for years.  I "broke up" as well.  One is going to cost me because I love their warmers but I won't buy from a company that is downright rude!  Seems it's happening more and more.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I better update on this situation. I waited about a week and a half to see just how much the would give me back  (or charge me in reality) for refusing the order and shipping it back. I mean, who knows maybe they would be kind and give me a break. Well once I was notified of the return, and saw the difference of nearly $500 I gave them a call and made sure I talked to the right person. I explained to Kent and then to Keith the situation and both agreed with me! So what was the problem? This was all handled by the wrong person. Apparently their GM is good at some things but not so good at others. (Keith's exact words). So with a little back and forth we agreed on them paying for shipping a new pallet order to me. So all in all I'm out the shipping back for the returned order. I loaded my cart to the hilt since the shipping was being paid for. I spent nearly double what I spent on the first order. Now THAT makes good business sense from their standpoint. I am thinking their GM (Chad) had a little meeting with the owner after all this. Sometimes the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing....anyway, the new pallet came ( I do wish they would get more choices of shippers other than UPS Freight) and everything is good. I guess the lesson learned is if you are switching jars, call to find out how they are packaged because you cant trust the website as being accurate.