Hi, I just started making my own melts. I wanted to stick with beeswax because of the benefits give off when burning. I started mixing with various things to soften and help it melt quicker in the melter coconut oil, a natural Crisco type shortening. But it's not holding my FO. I did a 50/50 soy wax and beeswax and that seemed to hold a bit better. Granted they have only cured 2 days to a week. I upped my FO to 1.5 oz it made a little difference and I even added vybar 1/2 tsp to 16 oz of wax. Idk what I'm doing wrong. Does anyone know how long to cure beeswax? Is it possible I'm heating the wax to high? I left it go to 200 degree and than drop it to about 155-165 for FO and than pour. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I always add my FO at around 180-183. Vanillas or heavy FO's a tad higher so they incorporate well with the wax. I don't work with beeswax though. TT has extensive experience

with beeswax. Hopefully she'll chime in :) She knows everything about everything.

Could b your FO or could be the melt point of your beeswax/coconut is too high.

I experimented with different proportions of several different oils for months and found a combo that throws well with no cure time. If too high of a melt point your FO could be locked up. 

Also beeswax does does not need to be heated to temps like soy or palm waxes. It does not like being overheated. 

Oh geez I heat the wax to about 200-225. Am I meeting it too high? There is not much about beeswax that I found. I asked the supplier and they weren't sure as they don't use it. I even bought some off a local beekeeper but they had no clue either.

TallTayl I'm sorry to keep bothering you with questions, but do you feel vybar is necessary in beeswax? I'm not sure if it did anything. But I guess if my wax was way too hot that might have messed everything up. I didn't realize how much is involved. I have so many batches of different mixes that I'm not happy with :/

Ok...one last question. If you don't mind? If a FO has a flash point of 200, it's ok to add it in at 145-150 than? I thought it had to be added at the flash? Hmph maybe that's my mess up, I just thought of that, ugh.

18 minutes ago, mao said:

Ok...one last question. If you don't mind? If a FO has a flash point of 200, it's ok to add it in at 145-150 than? I thought it had to be added at the flash? Hmph maybe that's my mess up, I just thought of that, ugh.

Flash point is only the temperature that the oil will ignite when exposed to spark or flame.  it has nothing to do with when to add it to wax. 

Just wanted to say thank you very much for all your help. I fixed melting temp, and played with different combinations of waxes and believe I have found my blend :) I made a Cinnaberry and Lavender Twist melts last night at 8. Threw one each in a warmer this morning about 2 hours ago and ran to store. Just got home and I could smell them as I was unlocking front door!! Thank you again!!!!

• Like 1