Gunmetal Gray with liquid dye?

NickS

I would like to achieve a gunmetal gray or steel-like color. I'm not good with color so I could really use some suggestions on where to start in trying to get there. Alternatively, does anyone know if a supplier offers this color OOB?

I've seen Micas this color but never liquid dyes, and micas don't really work to color candles. I think with liquid dyes I would start with 2-3 drops of black per lb of wax and see what you come up with. Maybe 2 drops of black with a drop of brown or a tan color thrown in.

That's where I would start to get a gunmetal/steel look. 

• Thanks 1

If using liquid dyes in soy wax, keep in mind that colors may tend to be more pastel or faded in soy than in paraffin. I recently started using liquid dyes in soy and have found that I have to double the amount of certain colors to come close to what I would get in paraffin. I did get a nice shade of grey by using 9 drops of CS's black dye in 16oz of 464 soy, although it did have the slightest hint of green to it... not certain what caused that.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/3/2017 at 7:39 AM, NickS said:

I found this site http://www.color-hex.com/ where you can find the exact color you want and one piece of info it will give you is the RGB percentages to make that color. I may just get some red, green, and blue to try to mix my own color.

You won't ever get there Using this. RGB coloring is used for computer graphics/printing, not for candle making.  I can easily get a gunmetal grey color using black liquid dye from candle science.