Curious - What is the silliest thing you have ever done when making candles?

So I have been working on a new candle oh for about a month.  It is a slanted layer candle in the local HS colors.  Well I finally got it perfect earlier this week, wick is good, colors are perfect, fragrance is great.  OK, so last night I go to pour 4 of them to get us started, customers have been hounding us for them.  Of course being the OCD, perfectionist that I am, I'm still tweaking them just a little bit and in my quest to pour the perfect slant/fragrance/color I forgot to wick it!!

DUHHHHHHHH!  *shudder*

Oh and I forgot, I have this wrought iron bookshelf that I have them on so that I can slant them just so and I had this brilliant idea to cover the bookshelf with towels to slow down the cooling, so I was super excited to see if it helped the adhesion issues this morning.  First thing I ran to the candle room ripped off the rigged up towels and examined them.  They came out perfect, I was so excited!!  Then I looked at them and realized what I did.  :o

Edited by njcurley
Had to add!
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Hmmm ... did you leave any room at the top by chance?

I'm thinking you could drill a tunnel down the center large enough to accommodate the wick tab, sink the wick, then fill in the hole just to the level where the wax is (you may have colors mix in the tunnel).  If you left some room at the top, go back and pour a thin layer to conceal your endeavor.  If you didn't leave any room, scape off a bit of wax from the top prior to performing the operation.  I don't believe all is lost. 

I've never forgotten a wick, but I've played with wax long enough to know my way around an assortment of mistakes!  :)

Edited by birdcharm
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, birdcharm said:

Hmmm ... did you leave any room at the top by chance?

I'm thinking you could drill a tunnel down the center large enough to accommodate the wick tab, sink the wick, then fill in the hole just to the level where the wax is (you may have colors mix in the tunnel).  If you left some room at the top, go back and pour a thin layer to conceal your endeavor.  If you didn't leave any room, scape off a bit of wax from the top prior to performing the operation.  I don't believe all is lost. 

I've never forgotten a wick, but I've played with wax long enough to know my way around an assortment of mistakes!  :)

Thanks birdcharm.  I already remelted the wax and repoured the candles.  I felt like such a dufus. 

• Like 1

Well, not sure if this counts, but way back about a year after I started making candles, my husbands brother and his family lived with us. One day his wife asked me what time it was and I literally sniffed my watch. Umm, there was no scent obviously. LMAO I felt like an idiot after that. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, franu61 said:

Not silly, but I accidentally spilled a whole pour pot of wax down my sink once.  Silly is when I tried to make red, white and blue votives with yellow beeswax.  Ended up with orange, yellow and green :)

OMG what happened to your pipes ? lol !

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jcandleattic said:

Well, not sure if this counts, but way back about a year after I started making candles, my husbands brother and his family lived with us. One day his wife asked me what time it was and I literally sniffed my watch. Umm, there was no scent obviously. LMAO I felt like an idiot after that. 

:laugh2: That IS funny!

Goldie

• Like 1

10 hours ago, franu61 said:

Not silly, but I accidentally spilled a whole pour pot of wax down my sink once.  Silly is when I tried to make red, white and blue votives with yellow beeswax.  Ended up with orange, yellow and green :)

OMG!  I love the red white and blue, that is so something I would do!  Oh boy those pipes, my husband would, oh my, probably kill me.  I'm glad everything worked out.

10 hours ago, Jcandleattic said:

:laugh2:I love it!

Thanks for helping me feel better!

• Like 1