Testing methodology

jbradshaw

I'm relatively new to the wax melt arena - I'm confident in how I test candles, but not so much on melts. 

I've read as much as I could find here, and it seems like many here test their FOs in salt in a warmer to see if it throws. Since I'm using FOs that I already use in candles, I know they throw. HOWEVER, I can't figure out an efficient/non wasteful way to test the wax/FO combination. 

Would anyone care to share your methodology for testing scents in wax melts? 

I just can't see trying to keep such a small amount of wax (2.75oz, enough for one clamshell) from cooling immediately in a pour pot. Do you use something else to stir in the FO? 

Thanks!

I'm a newbie on making wax melts also.  I had trouble keeping the wax warm and I wanted to make several different FOs.  I purchased some 250 ml glass beakers on Amazon and love how easy they are to use and clean.  Of course, someone is probably going to burst my bubble and tell me why I should not be using them...:)  So far they have worked well. I got 12 so i don't have to clean them immediately and i can quickly put  12 different FOs in wax.   Hope that helps!

I also tried pyrex glass measuring cups but they were too heavy for my hand and they didn't pour well.

I have a griddle that I use, but I still find that once I take the pour pots off they cool super quickly. I'm also starting to get cracks/sinkholes in my candle so I think I have a larger airflow/temp issue to address. Thanks for the feedback!

• 5 weeks later...