How would you package squeeze wax?

NickS

Since there's a lot of time waiting while testing candles, I've been researching other things to add to our eventual product line. I found a few threads on squeezable wax and made myself a 100g sample and I love this stuff. One 25w halogen bulb melter is scenting my whole house.

I put this in a condiment squeeze bottle, but that won't work if I want to sell this. I'm considering using either a tottle or a cylinder/Boston round with a disc top. The wax has a fairly thick consistency. After it cooled, I had to bang the bottle in the counter upside down to get the wax to the spout. It squeezed out very easily, however.

I'm thinking the tottle is best, but I like all the color and shape options available in other bottles. Any thoughts?

Edited by NickS
Grammar

37 minutes ago, Clear Black said:

Squeezable wax?? Did I miss the memo on this one? 

You might have to do a search on here to find out what it is all about.  I think there are a couple threads about it.  

That sounds about the right time frame.  Boy, has it been that long ago already?  It seems like just about a year ago when it was brought up.  I never got around to trying it but I always wanted to.  

BCN had a blog post about it with directions.  http://bittercreekcandle.blogspot.com/2013/07/squeezable-scented-wax.html

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pcbrook said:

I think the HDPE bottles would be the best.  I am not sure about the PET.  HDPEs are more squeezable, aren't they?

I guess I'll go with HDPE then. Any thoughts on bottle shape? Tottle v. normal upright bottle?

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/31/2017 at 1:33 PM, pcbrook said:

That sounds about the right time frame.  Boy, has it been that long ago already?  It seems like just about a year ago when it was brought up.  I never got around to trying it but I always wanted to.  

BCN had a blog post about it with directions.  http://bittercreekcandle.blogspot.com/2013/07/squeezable-scented-wax.html

Late response I know, but that article was written by "Flicker" Would that be the same Flicker that is on these forums? If so, id like to know if he/she still makes these. I had a few questions maybe

Im not sure what squeezable wax is or if this would work. But I have these in my Amazon cart. Im sure its not what your looking for but I thought Id add it anyhow :) 

I just saw PCbrook's suggestion about tottle bottles - thats a much better idea :) 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HK25RQM/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1AJH19IBJ3DPL

Edited by Moonstar

On 9/16/2017 at 4:39 PM, Clear Black said:

Late response I know, but that article was written by "Flicker" Would that be the same Flicker that is on these forums? If so, id like to know if he/she still makes these. I had a few questions maybe

Yes, it is the same Flicker.  I am not sure if she does still make those.  You would have to PM her or maybe she will pop in and see this post.  I am not sure if she is still in the business of making candles, etc., but I do know she stops in here every once in a while to visit.

14 minutes ago, pcbrook said:

Yes, it is the same Flicker.  I am not sure if she does still make those.  You would have to PM her or maybe she will pop in and see this post.  I am not sure if she is still in the business of making candles, etc., but I do know she stops in here every once in a while to visit.

Turns out I got bored yesterday and got my mad scientist vibe going and lab coat on. 

I ended up making a batch of 2:1 Mineral oil:Soy wax and it actually shocked me how feasable it would be to make "squeezeable" wax. I think I would need to play with the final result more when adding in FO, that would make the mixture a bit more runny...but it was a start. 

The bigest problem by far would be consumer awareness. Most customers have never heard of it. Wax melts? Tarts? Sure, they know those but squeezeable wax? Dont think many would so is it even worth it in the end? Would it take more effort just to sell it and market it than its worth. Who knows. Maybe a project for 2018, no time left in 2017 for such craziness 😅

I think that is the reason why I didn't run with it when I tried it out.  I would have to constantly explain how it works and if it was better. :)  Well, that and there would probably be some left in the container that I would have to cut open to get it all out.  So I stuck with the regular melts.  

On 8/30/2017 at 2:58 PM, NickS said:

Since there's a lot of time waiting while testing candles, I've been researching other things to add to our eventual product line. I found a few threads on squeezable wax and made myself a 100g sample and I love this stuff. One 25w halogen bulb melter is scenting my whole house.

I put this in a condiment squeeze bottle, but that won't work if I want to sell this. I'm considering using either a tottle or a cylinder/Boston round with a disc top. The wax has a fairly thick consistency. After it cooled, I had to bang the bottle in the counter upside down to get the wax to the spout. It squeezed out very easily, however.

I'm thinking the tottle is best, but I like all the color and shape options available in other bottles. Any thoughts?

There are many wax vendors who sell this successfully and all use condiment bottles, as in a clear plastic ketchup bottle, squeeze bottle. 

12 hours ago, Nickie said:

There are many wax vendors who sell this successfully and all use condiment bottles, as in a clear plastic ketchup bottle, squeeze bottle. 

Do you have any links to a few of those vendors specifically? Im really curious to see how they look

Thanks

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

How is squeezable wax made

On 8/30/2017 at 2:58 PM, NickS said: