My Facebook Page contest had unexpected benefit!

GailC

I just made my first layered candles and had the idea to show a picture of one on my Facebook candle page and my own timeline, and have people guess the two fragrances to win the candle.  It was brown and white, Hot Chocolate and Marshmallow.

The contest generated a lot of interest and guesses.  No one guessed even one fragrance right for awhile, and I thought I was going to have to give hints.  But I did have a winner.  I made sure to specify local pickup only so I wouldn't have to pay shipping. The lady who won said it was so exciting, so I may have to think of more contests. :)   When she comes to pick up her prize candle, I'm thinking she may buy more since she is driving a little ways.  

The unexpected benefit was I got some good ideas for more layered candles!  There were a lot of guesses of various pumpkin/vanilla/sugar cookie combinations.  And coffee/vanilla combinations. And Carmel/vanilla/sugar cookie.  One I especially like was Caramel and Creme Brulee.  So I am going to make those soon.

Only one guess was strange....Persimmon and Vanilla! :) I've never seen a Persimmon FO.

Once I had a drawing of all the names that shared my Candle Page and gave away a candle.  I even made a video and had my Great niece draw the name so everyone could see the drawing was legit.  But wouldn't you know, she drew her grandma's name...my sister's.  So I had her draw another name. Gave away two candles and had to ship one.  

Does anyone else do contests on their Facebook page....got any good ideas?

• Like 2

I do sampler giveaways on mine. I'm planning a Fall or Pumpkin sampler giveaway here soon. I just pour several different Fall or whatever type samplers I'm making and have a drawing for one or two winners and then try to sell the rest. It's fun but it's kind of funny that someone that's in your group that's never bought from you will always play to try to win something free LOL! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Belinda said:

I do sampler giveaways on mine. I'm planning a Fall or Pumpkin sampler giveaway here soon. I just pour several different Fall or whatever type samplers I'm making and have a drawing for one or two winners and then try to sell the rest. It's fun but it's kind of funny that someone that's in your group that's never bought from you will always play to try to win something free LOL! 

Some of those who guessed the most are people who haven't bought from me YET.  I believe the winner's Mom bought from me years ago, but she hasn't. I told people to guess as many times as they wanted.  I was pleased at the response.  Didn't know if anyone would 'play'.  

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/27/2017 at 10:08 AM, Candybee said:

Congrats GailC on a successful facebook contest! You've inspired me to try out something on my own page.

I am doing another promotion until the end of this month.  If one of my current customers refers a friend who spends at least $10 on candles/melts, my customer gets a free candle.  It hasn't generated a lot of sales but I've gotten 2 new customers so far, and my cousin is bringing 2 people with her this weekend to buy candles.