Spare Time -

Jcandleattic

This new job I have, at the moment provides me with a lot of spare time during the day, but not much I can do about having that spare time being stuck at work. 

What are some of the things you do if you have spare time but are stuck somewhere without a means to really "DO" anything? 

For me, mostly I visit my forum boards, catch up with other 'unbusy' coworkers (a rarity) and I jot ideas and plans in my inspirational notebook. Kind of like I said in another thread about being in a rut and writing plans out on my white board at home, only here I do it in my notebook. 

What about you guys, if you have restricted spare time, what do you do with it? 

I am a spreadsheet fanatic. I am always making up spreadsheets for this or that. For example I just put one together for this year's fall and holiday line of candles. I make one up every year but its so much fun to put it together than to fine tune it or narrow it down or fill out. I list the candle name, fragrance(s) used, supplier, color recipe, etc.

I also have a "soap wish" list that is a work in progress from year to year. I am always updating it, adding, deleting, putting in new ideas of different soaps I would like to make or how I would create, change, or update my line of soaps.

I also like to research info for my soapmaking and for my soap logbook. I have an info soap log binder I take to market/show with me so customers can see what goes into my soap. Or if I want to make a specialty soap or product I like to research the best ingredients.

Of course I also play a lot of solitaire because it relaxes me.

The thing with computers is I can find a lot of things to do that can take me hours so I am usually having to schedule days to do different assignments so I don't waste time.

Well, J YOU asked...

Lock Sport.  AKA: lock picking. 
No I'm not joking for once. A small set of picks and a really difficult padlock will get more giggles outta my soul than a Rubik's cube. Ok, so you THINK you live in a world where you need too be all certified? You probably DON'T live in that kind of world, but if you did you can make your own picks on the spot. (yes bobby pins work) It's a very useful skill and I also find it to be a highly entertaining and extremely CHEAP hobby I can also do in the dark. MOST States don't require licensure to own or use picks, (assuming you're NOT doing anything WRONG). More info on that here:  http://toool.us/laws.html
All you need to make wonderful picks is the TOOOL website, 
a pack or 2 of these: https://www.dollartree.com/Royal-Norfolk-Paring-Knives-4-ct-Packs/p406592/index.pro?cm_mmc=Product+Feeds-_-Google-_-n%2Fa-_-252999&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIutH2uNzx1QIVUjaBCh1s6Ag7EAQYAyABEgJNrfD_BwE
a REALLY cheap set of needle files from Walmart. (Like $3.95) 

You could also just get a decent set off of Amazon or Ebay or direct from the manufacturer. By decent I mean no more than 10 picks and a set of tension wrenches are all you need. I make 90% of my own gear anyway...  

You'll need a lock of YOUR OWN too... You can get whole boxes of them from Habitat for Humanity and Goodwill for next to nothing.

To learn really in depth stuff about the hows and what-for-we-does-it's you can take a look at: Lock-lab.com  (Bill's BRILLIANT.) 

The most FUN thing about lock sport though is listening to and watching people become INSTANTANEOUS experts on both State and International Business Regulation and Criminal law.  Oh... and the minutiae of EXACTLY what constitutes an implement of burglary while always summarizing with "You can get into BIG trouble with that... Oh yeah! BIG TROUBLE..." is AHMAZE-BALLS! (Do what I do and just nod and NEVER ask them how many years a sentencing runs, or for a statute, because as they WILL tell you... THAT'S NOT THE POINT! )   

Cheers,

Sponiebr: The Executor of Bad Ideas and Sundry Services BONANZA!  

15 hours ago, Candybee said:

I am a spreadsheet fanatic. I am always making up spreadsheets for this or that. For example I just put one together for this year's fall and holiday line of candles. I make one up every year but its so much fun to put it together than to fine tune it or narrow it down or fill out. I list the candle name, fragrance(s) used, supplier, color recipe, etc.

I also have a "soap wish" list that is a work in progress from year to year. I am always updating it, adding, deleting, putting in new ideas of different soaps I would like to make or how I would create, change, or update my line of soaps.

I also like to research info for my soapmaking and for my soap logbook. I have an info soap log binder I take to market/show with me so customers can see what goes into my soap. Or if I want to make a specialty soap or product I like to research the best ingredients.

Of course I also play a lot of solitaire because it relaxes me.

The thing with computers is I can find a lot of things to do that can take me hours so I am usually having to schedule days to do different assignments so I don't waste time.

You sound so much like me when it comes to spreadsheets!! (Most peoples head spins when they see my book spreadsheet - over 5k line items and still not even close to finished - cataloging everything from author, isbn, publisher, binding, rating, etc., etc., I think there are something 25 columns! LOL) it's ridiculous... LOL 

I do the same with my inventory in conjunction to my SM3 software. 

I have the computer here at work, but it's weird what they will allow through, and what they won't. Like I can play all day long on forums, but can't pay my Kohl's bill. LMAO It's silly things like that. 

• Like 2