Advertising Tip For Paraffin Wax Users!

Advertising Tip for paraffin wax users;

if you educate your customers and let them know that paraffin is simply what's left over after making gasoline for their cars; and is NOT good for much else; other then making candles Tell Customers that if we didn't make candle wax out of it; this left over otherwise useless substance; would potentially be either going into landfills or even worse the ocean. So in a Way Paraffin is JUST has Green has Soy; if NOT EVEN Greener Then Soy!  Has long has they burn their candles in a draft free area and for 1 hour per./ inch of diameter.  So that they consume most of the wax. Let Customers know by doing these two things they will be HELPING the Environment!  This is how I compete with the Soy Candle makers at my local craft fair and it works well for me!  I thought it might could help other candle makers too! 

Edited by ILikeWaxMelts
  • Like 2

Except it's not truly representative of the biodiesel industry of current. It used to be that paraffin was the byproduct no one really wanted, thus it was cheap! Now, it's a whole slew of products that are made from the same stuff, and its a competitive market. It's not going to wind up in a landfill, ever. I am thinking you got some pretty dated info. Paraffin however is a natural product, made from crude oil (from the earth) and simply refined. However, it's what they put in paraffin (plastics especially - Vybar, Micro wax) that is not. So is it "green" not necessarily but it is biodegradable in its unaltered form.

The ship sailed. Soybean lobbyists have too many people convinced that burning paraffin releases toxins into the air that will kill you.

Ignore that people boast that they can EAT crayolas, or use them as colorant in soap or candles. Those must be different, know what I mean.

11 hours ago, TallTayl said:

The ship sailed. Soybean lobbyists have too many people convinced that burning paraffin releases toxins into the air.

Has I said this has worked for me TallTayl; I am in Michigan.  

I don't know where your from.  But it works for me in Michigan.

I was simply trying to help out other paraffin wax users.  and be Kind.  :read: :)

• Like 1

It might've worked for you. And that's wonderful for you. But the fact still remains it's an uphill battle when the candle public consensus has been manipulated to believe that paraffin wax is dangerous to burn. Even though that's generally false. 

And as Flickr pointed out saying what you did is patently false also. Two wrongs don't make a right.

I agree, the info you posted is just incorrect. At least currently it is..

There are SEVERAL ways to convince customers parrafin is better than soy. Saying its "greener" is probably not the

best tactic. I'd focused on the other benefits.There are LOTS of customers who:

- still prefer parrafin because of scent throw

- prefer parrafin because of color intensity

- prefer parrafin because of mottle candles

- or simply dont give a damn if its soy or parrafin. They just pick what smells good or looks good. Lol

Dont try to please everyone.

• Like 2

We use paraffin and have been through the war with all kinds of things.There's a wealth of info at NCA (National Candle Association) ... put it to use, but don't misuse it. I understand very well the war between the waxes, but we're still standing and our competition isn't. Not a boast. We understand our product and have spent a lot of time understanding it. We didn't exactly enter the wax war. We created a Q & A that was visible around our tent and a take home option for customers with direct ways to get more info. We've always answered their questions to the best of our ability and if we're stumped, we don't make something up ... we go seek the answer. This was our defense mechanism. It still doesn't combat the bubble gum essential oil issue, but it works for us and wax. 

You don't have to fight the wax wars carrying a banner that says paraffin rules. Sometimes it does. Sometimes it doesn't, but the bottom line is it comes down to your preference of what to sell and your customers preference on what to buy. 

Edited by Scented

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 6:26 PM, TallTayl said:

The way I see it, Yankee, Kringle, Pier 1 and Bath and body Works don't seem to be suffering from any of this marketing propaganda. 

Nor is Scentsy ;)

Smell, People want smell.

• Like 3

that is kind of splitting hairs, isn't it? Paraffin wax is a petroleum product, as are fuels. While it is not a byproduct of diesel, etc. both start out the same as crude oil. That is the distinction the untrained make. 

I count maybe one person a month that stops in at my shop and asks if my container candles are soy. All the others just care how it smells. I live by the notion that, "It has to smell to sell."

• Like 2

Yeah, it might be splitting hairs a little bit. But the process to get gasoline and paraffin is so much different. Gasoline  comes off as vapor during the refining process. As does natural gas, propane and other things. When they refine the lube oil, what's  left is feed stock, an oil/wax mixture. This is what is refined to make paraffin. 

While i agree and have echoed that customers care about scent and price more than anything.

I do have to say that show after show, I have more and more customers asking if my candles are soy.

They dont know why the want soy or why they care... but they think they do. So, they ask.

Fortunately, I sell both. But still... they are asking more and more.