Does anyone make beard oil?

NickS

599d69ddeffdb_TheyrerightbutIdigress.jpg.31e51767afc861cd07ead9a84f211b37.jpg

I make my own beard "oil" though most would call it really more of a lotion... By most I mean everyone... I mean it has some water in it so that's a lotion... "Some water" , meaning pretty close to MOSTLY water with some ewax and "nourishing oils" in it. Well... sort of... It DOES have mineral oil in it, oh and fragrance OIL which is how I qualify oils! 
Yeah.
BUT... I USED to use some almond oil and some jojoba and, well I don't do that anymore. You'd be surprised at how "nourishing" water is to a beard... <----- no joke. 

I remember one (or more) of those how-to-be-a-manly-man-of-a-man websites had some suggested mixes... (meh.) 

Cheers,

Sponiebr: The Executor of Bad Ideas and Sundry Services and sometimes, but not always, a punctuationally challenged sentence or 20...  

• Like 1

I can see that sponey.

you'd be surprised how many really cheap and short shelflife oils are in most commercial and retail beard oils. They start to stink after a few months because the oils with the shortest life go rancid.  And for whatever reason those little oil bottles sell for a pretty penny. Is a beard oil mainly a device to make your beard smell nice? 

• Like 1

Its becoming popular to shave with beard oil as well as lotions. They are not just for conditioning the face and whiskers anymore.

TT I know you sell shaving soap so I am surprised you have not had customers ask this before. That's when I started thinking of looking into it.

I do have a sample of Essential by Catalina's beard oil and its very nice. That was one I was thinking of maybe using as a template for creating a beard oil recipe.

1 hour ago, TallTayl said:

Is a beard oil mainly a device to make your beard smell nice? 

Most people I know with beards use beard oil to soften the hair and smell nice, but the main function that I'm aware is to soften the beard hair so it's not so "prickly". 

I use a Body Shop hair oil for my hair (literally a drop or two) everyday day, and I believe it's made with only fractionated coconut oil, fragrance and maybe a preservative (I've never looked) but my husband uses the same on his beard when he grows one, and a 4 oz bottle has lasted us about a year so far and it's only 2/3rd of the way gone. I probably could make my own, but I have so many other projects, it was just easier to get that at the time. 

Edited by Jcandleattic

I have made beard oil, but it is not a super great seller for my brand. 

The summer faire  has had a small, but faithful men's shaving soap following, but not sure I want to add another totally new product when there is already sooooo much to make. 

The beard oils i have seen/smelled by those asking me to make it are basically grape seed oil with a little fragrance, which totally explains why they go off sooooo fast.

i like to make it using different emollient ingredients to use as a pre-shave or shave oil. It just never took off.  Maybe it was all in bad timing 

I've made beard balm before for gifts.  I used Plant Therapy's recipe, I switched up the EO's.

1Tablespoon Hemp Seed Carrier Oil

1Tablespoons Avocado Carrier Oil

2Tablespoons Beeswax Pearls

2Tablespoons Virgin Coconut Oil

1Ttablespoon Shea Butter

5 drops each Sandalwood and Cedarwood

4 drops each Frankincense and Rosemary

3 1 oz Tins

What you’ll do;

Mix hemp, avocado, and essential oils, set aside.

In a double boiler melt beeswax, coconut oil, and shea butter.

After completely melted remove from heat.

Mix oils with melted butters.

Poor into tins and wait to harden.

• Like 2

On 8/23/2017 at 8:17 AM, TallTayl said:

I can see that sponey.

you'd be surprised how many really cheap and short shelflife oils are in most commercial and retail beard oils. They start to stink after a few months because the oils with the shortest life go rancid.  And for whatever reason those little oil bottles sell for a pretty penny. Is a beard oil mainly a device to make your beard smell nice? 

I need the beard oil to keep me from developing corn-flake  beardruff (dandruff in a beard which is gross even to me the "Swam-(pop!) thang".  

1 hour ago, Jcandleattic said:

@NickS Here is a resource that may help get you started. As I've said I don't make it, and I haven't read this article, so I have no input as to it's validity, however, Amanda is a respected member of the B&B community. 

http://www.lovinsoap.com/2017/08/crafting-your-own-unique-beard-oil/

Very helpful! Thanks a bunch!

• Like 2