UV Stabilizer

pcbrook

I bought some gel wax to play around with.  I found and tested a couple FO's for non-polarity and ready to make a couple candles.  I have done a search but nothing came up on this.  Do we need to add UV stabilizer to gel?  

TIA

From my experience in not using a UV stabilizer in gel, for the most part, the colors have not faded much over time, but I think they can yellow if you keep them around for years.  I have one that I've kept for decoration as an emergency candle that used to be bluer than it is now, as it turned a little greener, but that candle is several years old; it gets some daylight, but no direct sun. 

Also, just to mention, I don't know if an additive would cloud the gel, as other things, such as pre-waxed wicks, can create a clouding problem.

19 hours ago, pcbrook said:

Thank you for the response.  I didn't use it today but I was also wondering about the clouding up with an additive.  But I am planning on coloring them so that might not be an issue.  

I'm sure you'll have fun with them.  Just remember to use very little liquid colorant, it goes a long way!  It's very easy to make them too dark, esp. if you're starting off making a candle or two at a time.  If you want to color them in swirls after pouring, use a metal pick to add a little color, don't use a dropper bottle, it'll come out way too dark. 

P.S.  The area where you live looks beautiful!

• Like 1