Current state of craft fairs, markets, shows, etc.

Candybee

Was reading on another site about how bad craft shows and farmers markets are getting. Pages and pages of how awful people (sellers) were doing at shows and markets and how bad sales were and their are fewer customers and vendors at venues.

While I agree that my sales dropped markedly during recovery from the recession years; people out of work, or only had part time work, etc, no money, I personally find that sales have started improving for a while now.

Sales started improving for me I'd say a couple of years ago. Matter of fact I had my best sales year ever last year (2016) and so far as of August I have surpassed last years sales of the same time of year. The sales are even better than when they were for me before the recession when sales were at their highest. So far I have outdone my pre-recession years by several thousand dollars and sales continue to grow for me.

So I wonder, is it just me? In talking with other vendors and found some do say they definitely see their sales have gone up since while others say not so much or they are doing poorly.

I have definitely noticed that farmer's market and even craft shows have changed in just a few short years since the recession. Now every city, town, community and their mother has a farmer's market. So the markets are springing up all over the place and one county can now have several as opposed to only one during pre-recession years. Another thing I have noticed is that with this saturation there are also fewer vendors at these markets. Due to the saturation or because more vendors moved on and now do something else. I think its a combination of both.

For craft shows I have seen more churches, groups, schools, community centers, banquet halls, etc. popping up with brand new craft shows on the fly but not so much anymore. I think those that failed found out you really need to establish yourself before you can pull in the vendors or have those vendors make the sales they need to keep coming. Just throwing together a craft show on the spur does nothing for vendors, unless you are a new vendor and think this is a great opportunity because you don't know any better.

Anyway, I understand that sales can fluctuate between shows and markets and from year to year and I don't think that this will change much. I also think that its human nature to go through periodic recessions as well as times of glut and excess as the economy and technology changes our way of life, how we do business, communicate, buy, sell, travel, and live in general.

I did manage to make it through the recession years and continued to make and sell my soap, B&B, and candles during that time. There were some really bad times and some times when all I had for gas or food budget was what I made at the market that week. Some days I only had the gas money to get to the market but not get home. I would go anyway thinking at the very worst if I don't make money I will borrow a fiver to get gas to get home. But at least is was an opportunity to make gas and food money. Fortunately for me that never happened and I never had to borrow money. I also continued to sell with or without a job as during that time I got and lost 3 jobs due to being laid off.

But when sales started to recover they were still very, very slow for a long, long time, and I agree with these people that they were pretty bad and very slow during the recovery years. But as I mentioned earlier my sales started to increase about a couple of years ago to the point that I have surpassed my pre-recession years.

So I am not so sure that people complaining about the recession is why their sales are still bad is true. I do agree that the workplace has changed so much that many are still left without a job or can only find part time work or minimum wage work or both. But sales have improved enough that there is opportunity to take advantage of it.

Well I did a lot of rambling here but my point is do you all feel that sales are still really that bad and slow?

I don't do shows but I can tell you that it's not just the craft industry.  I know several people who sold vintage jewelry, collectible military pins etc at our Mid State Fair and after 10 days they were lucky to break even.  In past years they would do 3-5x their booth rental which is a steep $5k for the 10 days.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kandlekrazy said:

I don't do shows but I can tell you that it's not just the craft industry.  I know several people who sold vintage jewelry, collectible military pins etc at our Mid State Fair and after 10 days they were lucky to break even.  In past years they would do 3-5x their booth rental which is a steep $5k for the 10 days.

Don't you have a shop? Or am I thinking of someone else. If you do, have your sales changed at all?

I do have a shop and it's been a struggle this year to keep sales up.  In the past we really didn't have to try to sell, now we do.  Jan-Mar of this year was bad then it picked up and we've been able to stay same or better than last year.

Also spoke to a few soapers at the farmers market and they said sales are down.  They are all hoping holiday sales make up for this year.  Our olive vendor as well said down at farmer's market.  Yet our small town which has a ton of hotels has been No Vacancy almost all summer.  People are still traveling just not spending as much when they do.

Craft shows started declining for me many years ago so I left them.

Etsy is down, but steady. 

Farmers markets I never even bothered.

There's just not enough money when people are Browsing and are just grazing around. Some farmers markets are so poorly run it is basically a fleamarket. That's just not for me :( 

When I found my niche sales steadily began to  increase year-over-year over year. But that's not true for all sellers at this place. The ones that don't improve anything and just expect sales to stay the same complain that sales are way down this year. You have to constantly reinvent yourself to keep them coming back. 

I hope my year continues as it has. This will be the biggest in my little biz' life. Feels like I hit a good stride after poking in the dark for a solid direction and blazing trails. 

my husband and I were joking yesterday that I need to take this to the next level and go into chain stores or close. I guess go big or go home. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

When I found my niche sales steadily began to  increase year-over-year over year. But that's not true for all sellers at this place. The ones that don't improve anything and just expect sales to stay the same complain that sales are way down this year. You have to constantly reinvent yourself to keep them coming back.

I think this is so true. Each year I go through everything and revamp. Look over what sells, what doesn't and toss the non sellers which leaves room for something new and fresh.

Also, I take a good hard look at my displays, tablecloths, labels, brochures, biz cards, everything, all my promotional stuff to see that my branding looks smart, my info clear, direct, simple, and coordinated. Your branding and look says a lot about you. So I make sure everything about my product is sending the right message, has the right look, and the quality I am going for for my target customers.

My sales continue to grow and I think that has everything to do with it.

• Like 3

Overall, sales in markets and shows have been steady and very good for me.  Online sales take a dip every time shipping rates go up.  It doesn't help that Amazon has created a climate in which buyers expect free shipping on everything.  I just can't ship jar candles for free unless I jack my prices way up.  Not happening.  

But overall, local sales have offset the dip in online orders.  And I still get plenty enough online orders to make staying there worth my while. :) 

• Like 1

I've started to really sell "off-season ideas" to my summer people. If I can get them to check in and see new things now and then I have a good chance to stay nice and busy, that requires follow through on my part though ?

You are so right about amazon. I spose if 'we' could convince people to front $100 a year for "prime" status with us we would be more happy to ship for free. I do offer free over $75. Some folks really do play the cart game to get that exact amount 

last year i introduced levels of freebie with retail orders. <$15 gets a small soap (or similar) sample. $15- <$40 get a Lip balm or small ceramic ornament or similar gift. $41+ gets a scent diffuser pendant. Average online sales have risen measurably.