Stearic Acid

I use it all the time. For me, it helps to keep my wax from sagging under heat. It's supposed to help with mold release, opacity and whiteness ... but don't use it for white, it wasn't meant to be used that way. 

It can be used in mottled candles to help with the weeping. A high percentage of stearic will decrease mottling. You'll have to experiment for what that would be. 

Typical use with paraffin is 1 oz per pound or they say roughly 3 tablespoons. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Terry said:

Has anyone ever tried stearic in 4627 wax?  I've been wanting to try a bit of this to harden the wax up and to slow down the burn.

Before adding steric, I'd try another wax that is harder and smaller wicks. :)

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 8/12/2017 at 8:36 PM, TallTayl said:

Stearic acid tends to really harden the wax and raise the melt point.  I've been testing palm stearic in soy container candles for a year or so now. Too much tends to inhibit ht in my waxes. 

I agree. I used 1 tsp of stearic acid in 6 oz of coconut wax and I don't have a hot throw at all. I'm trying to find something to tame the tall flames that coconut wax tends to have. I can't rely on 444, because each batch is a hit or miss. I think I'll have to try maybe 1/2 tsp of stearic acid to 6 oz of coconut wax and see if that'll help. I also noticed that I have to wick up 2 sizes just using a teaspoon of stearic in 6 oz.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/29/2019 at 7:08 AM, TheClassicModern said:

I agree. I used 1 tsp of stearic acid in 6 oz of coconut wax and I don't have a hot throw at all. I'm trying to find something to tame the tall flames that coconut wax tends to have. I can't rely on 444, because each batch is a hit or miss. I think I'll have to try maybe 1/2 tsp of stearic acid to 6 oz of coconut wax and see if that'll help. I also noticed that I have to wick up 2 sizes just using a teaspoon of stearic in 6 oz.

Try 1-3% beeswax  instead.

• 3 years later...
On 8/12/2017 at 6:36 PM, TallTayl said:

Stearic acid tends to really harden the wax and raise the melt point.  I've been testing palm stearic in soy container candles for a year or so now. Too much tends to inhibit ht in my waxes. 

How much was too much when you noticed a decrease in hot throw? I have a few different ratios poured but gotta wait for them to cure so I can test hot throw.

4 hours ago, Ernie said:

How much was too much when you noticed a decrease in hot throw? I have a few different ratios poured but gotta wait for them to cure so I can test hot throw.

It depended on the soy wax blend. it was before I veered into premier 700 series wicks, and quite a long time ago.

soy itself is really high in natural stearic. You need to choose a wick that is designed for high acid waxes(like most veggie and palm stearic)
954BE8AE-E763-4915-A49F-F84AF25659DA.png

around 20% was the max originally with c3, etc. I could get to wipe fore the cracking and frosting got to be too much. C1 is 20% palm wax with the balance soy, so that made sense. 

i tried up to 30% with midwest soy and in coconut blends.  Earlier this year @MsPeachesDelight and I delved into primarily stearic test blends. A blend of 50% stearic with different and beeswaxes were pretty stable, but needed very thick wicks just stay lit. 

stearic seems to help apricot wax (ceda cerica).  That wax is a conundrum on its own.  

• Like 1

So far using a 9oz status jar with Ceda Serica using an eco 8 I get mushroom and discolored wax with no additives. The mushroom formed on the last hour of burn. With 10% stearic acid same wick I get a super tiny mushroom on the frayed parts of the wick. Scent throw in both have been pretty equal and stronger than I expected for an 8 day cure. Visually they both pulled away from the jar. Thinking frosted or painted jars will look better. Gonna try an eco 6, it just might be the ticket. Also a CD 10 worked good with this wax.

I don't have any Premier wicks unfortunately but I did get the Eco 6 to work. Now I know that Eco wicks can't be used in this wax above a size 6.Also a CD 10 worked good. It burned off the discoloration and gave a great hot throw. I have one more to test that I added Beeswax to. So far it shrunk completely away from the jar. I don't really want to do blends with the Beeswax just because of the cost, but I gotta say, the BW added to it really improved the way it looks. Gonna try it with a wood wick in about a week.

• Like 1