Wood Lids

On 8/10/2017 at 4:58 AM, GoldieMN said:

At one time, there was a discussion about making wood lids.  This just popped up on my computer screen so thought I would share in case someone is interested:

https://www.northwoodcandlesupply.com/products/lids-glass-tin-wood-status-jar-candle-container-lids?variant=19331771590

Goldie

Dayum...how are people turning a profit when paying $1.75 per lid? You have to wonder of the reviews are faked in order to gloss over the fact you are spending probably over $2 per lid after shipping. Yet all the reviewers are saying their "customers" love them. So if the reviews arent faked, and these are actual busines people, I again ask how are they turning a profit by buying lids at $2 each? Do they just inflate the prices of their product to compensate for such a high priced item?

I kind of got s****** on wood lids, not these.  I picked out a wood lid for my jars that was pushing the upper end of my budget for lids but they are beautiful and everyone loves them so it really was worth it at the time.  After months of using them they went from $1.04 per lid to $1.69 per lid!  Out of nowhere, no notice was given before (or I would have ordered a ton of them) and I didn't know until I went to replenish my stock.

Now I have a problem, do I discontinue the lids and go back to plain glass lids or do I keep shelling out and lose the .65 of profit per candle?

5 hours ago, Clear Black said:

Dayum...how are people turning a profit when paying $1.75 per lid? You have to wonder of the reviews are faked in order to gloss over the fact you are spending probably over $2 per lid after shipping. Yet all the reviewers are saying their "customers" love them. So if the reviews arent faked, and these are actual busines people, I again ask how are they turning a profit by buying lids at $2 each? Do they just inflate the prices of their product to compensate for such a high priced item?

Clear, I love the look of wood lids myself, but you have to figure out what your market is.  You could command a higher dollar for your candle but you have to think if that candle is going to be too high priced that you won't be able to sell it, unless of course you sell to a shop where they can command a more expensive candle.  Don't cut yourself short.  The shop is going to double your wholesale price.  What jar do you want to use that goes with that lid?  Is it the status or country comfort jar?  I'm sure everyone is going to love the look, but like PCbrook said most people will buy for a great scented candle versus a wooden lid candle just for the wood lid look.  Going with a flat glass lid or even a silver tin top on the jar is just as nice and with a smashing label creates a great looking product.  Wood lids are beautiful but yes, expensive too.

Trappeur

3 minutes ago, Trappeur said:

Clear, I love the look of wood lids myself, but you have to figure out what your market is.  You could command a higher dollar for your candle but you have to think if that candle is going to be too high priced that you won't be able to sell it, unless of course you sell to a shop where they can command a more expensive candle.  Don't cut yourself short.  The shop is going to double your wholesale price.  What jar do you want to use that goes with that lid?  Is it the status or country comfort jar?  I'm sure everyone is going to love the look, but like PCbrook said most people will buy for a great scented candle versus a wooden lid candle just for the wood lid look.  Going with a flat glass lid or even a silver tin top on the jar is just as nice and with a smashing label creates a great looking product.  Wood lids are beautiful but yes, expensive too.

Trappeur

I dont have a jar I want to use with the wood lid Trap. I was just baffled by who would pay dam near $2 per wooden lid lol :D

7 minutes ago, Clear Black said:

I dont have a jar I want to use with the wood lid Trap. I was just baffled by who would pay dam near $2 per wooden lid lol :D

oh, ok.....no problem...yep some people will pay 2 bucks for a lid.....me personally?    I think not.....

Trappeur

5 hours ago, njcurley said:

I kind of got s****** on wood lids, not these.  I picked out a wood lid for my jars that was pushing the upper end of my budget for lids but they are beautiful and everyone loves them so it really was worth it at the time.  After months of using them they went from $1.04 per lid to $1.69 per lid!  Out of nowhere, no notice was given before (or I would have ordered a ton of them) and I didn't know until I went to replenish my stock.

Now I have a problem, do I discontinue the lids and go back to plain glass lids or do I keep shelling out and lose the .65 of profit per candle?

I would just up the price of my candle by 1.50-2.00

37 minutes ago, kandlekrazy said:

I would just up the price of my candle by 1.50-2.00

This is what I plan on doing.  If I'm questioned by any current customers I will just explain that supply costs went up.  I don't think anyone will question it tho because my candles are pretty fairly priced to start.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GoldieMN said:

@Nursenancy That's even a better price if you are buying 100!

Goldie

I go through a lot of them so I did buy 100 just to check them out..  Next time I order I'll do a co-op if anyone is interested.  I just ordered last month so I'm good for awhile.

I ordered tons of them years ago from Fillmore when they were on clearance - If I remember correctly they were 17 cents each.  Then I got lucky and bought some off the classies that were dirt cheap but I was running out and had to go looking - finally found this place..