Country Comfort Wicking

for years I'd been using a mason style jar and perfected the wicking.  I recently decided to try the Country Comfort jar and have tried every wick under the sun it seems with no single wick giving throw or making a significant melt pool.  I've received the best hot throw by double wicking, however, it's still not quite right.  The candle I made was using 2 ECO 10 wicks, per Candle Science's wick guide and I had nearly a 1" melt pool in under 2 hours.  The throw was amazing but that's just too much/too hot.  The only other ECO's I had were ECO 2 so I did that and the pics below are those wicks.  This was the melt pool after 4 hours, as you can see, the left wick had some mushrooming as well.  I think ECO 1 is the smallest I can go.  Should I try CD wicks?  I really loved the throw of the ECO 2 but I'm concerned with this large of a melt pool at 4 hours, it may burn too hot as it burns down.  Ideas?  Thank you so much!

Stats:

Country Comfort 16 oz

GB 415 Soy Wax

CS Cranberry Marmalade

Double Wicked with ECO 2

20170809_180321.jpg

20170809_180346.jpg

I don't double wick but that is definitely to hot - try trapps suggestion 

cd wicks in 415 are fabulous 

also worth mentioning...is this by chance a newer case of 415 with a 2017 lot?

big changes are happening for me with my new cases as opposed to last years lots - 415 is not the same- doesn't burn the same and doesn't throw the same 

been using this wax for years with no issues with perfect burns and throw and well now....it's not 

• Like 1

Throw is not the same at all and the burns are just not the same - I have used the Same jar and wicks for years and they are flame throwers - having to wick down and trying different additives to firm and slow the burn - it blows, so many fragrances to retest and still not sure if it's a fluke or the new standard with the FDA regulations now 

• Like 1

You are going to get quick FMP and usually deep as well when you double wick vs single wick. (Usually). So I wouldn't be concerned about that too much. ?However, that is awfully deep for just a few hours. Id shoot for about half that. And yes, the eco 10s are too big. I can double wick those jars with 2 Eco 2s. So I would have started there. Now mine isn't straight soy, mine is a blend you you may need ot start with ECO4 or as Trapp said, a couple CD 4s and up.

Its hard to tell from the top pic, but you may want to add a tad more space between your wicks as well. 1/8 - 1/4 inch maybe?

When multi wicking I try to divide the space equally. Two wicks= dividing the diameter into thirds. 

The dynamics of double wicking are a little hard to get at first. I find that two wicks ihave a multiplier effect on final size like 1+1 does not equal two. Two cd10 are more like a cd30 or 40. It's weird.

that jar is a few sizes overwicked for sure. ECO seem to burn very hot in soy. IGI 415 is very easy to burn this year, so I am betting one eco wick in that jar would cut it just fine. But if you are set on double wicking I would switch to CD and give those a go. Me, I'd try one eco 10 all by itself if that is what I had. 

59 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

When multi wicking I try to divide the space equally. Two wicks= dividing the diameter into thirds. 

The dynamics of double wicking are a little hard to get at first. I find that two wicks ihave a multiplier effect on final size like 1+1 does not equal two. Two cd10 are more like a cd30 or 40. It's weird.

Agreed... 2 wicks definitely generates more heat and MP than one single "equivelant" wick.

Just now, wthomas57 said:

Agreed... 2 wicks definitely generates more heat and MP than one single "equivelant" wick.

I am trying to come up with a formula to predict the multiplier. There must be some way... 

it seems to be at least a 4x or 5x effect, of course enhanced by the type and size of container. 

Two cd2 in a 3" tin burned like a CD 20

I don't know why I wasn't getting notifications for more replies but thank you all so much for the suggestions.  I am testing 2 CD 4's today.  I think I may need to wick up to a 5, maybe 6.  The hot throw is decent but nowhere near as strong as my other tests (but of course those were burning too hot)

Before deciding to try a double wick, I had tried a CD 16 and CD 20 with no success, even after several burns, low hot throw and lots of wax on the sides :( 

I also tried 2 ECO 2's and those were still burning a bit hot for my preference as well. 

I am determined to find that sweet spot.  Maybe if I move the wicks further apart like TallTayl, and that may change things with the CD 4's ??

Yes, like Thomas said space them a little further apart.

Don't fret if you don't get a full melt pool on the 1'st or 2'nd burns.....You DON'T want to get a full pool so quickly.  That wax will catch up in the wax melting the further down it goes.

You have shoulders on that jar and the heat is going to get trapped under them and make the wax melt....

Burn all the way down....unless of course you can tell within reason those wicks are too small...

How are you doing your testings?  Burning for how long?

Trappeur 

• Like 1

Hi there.

I have been burning the one candle with the CD4 for 4 hours at a time.  I have burned it now, I think 5 times and still no full melt pull and the wicks are curling down and drowning out :( I bought some 5's that should arrive today and I will test those as well as space them properly as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried the CD 5s and they were doing great until about the fourth burn, as the candles getting further down it seems to be that the Wicks are sort of drowning as well.  Also, no FMP.  I'm so baffled and I need to get these done I have 4 dozen for an order.  I tried CD7 ( because that's what I had, I have some cd6 on order ) and those are burning well but I have a nearly full melt pool in a little over 2 hours. I'm hoping that the cd6 will be the answer!

• 1 month later...

I am so frustrated, I did a test burn with 2 x CD6 in 2017 soy using the Country Comfort (this time the 10 oz to save on wax usage) within the first 30 minutes, one of the wicks was curled completely over.  I used Flaming Candle "Volcano" at 8-9%ish - It was burning and throw fine outside of that.

I'll note it did the same thing with Pear Spice from Flaming but is performing ok in Leather/Whiskey blend, JS Vanilla Buttercream Crunch, and Candlescience Cranberry Marmalade which I thought I'd have to wick up.

Edited by morethanrubies

I have never heard of those wicks, I'd be willing to try.  I'm getting frustrated and trying to understand how others are having to wick down with the CD wicks and mine are drowning.  I double wick with the CDs, any idea what I would use to double wick a Country Comfort in the RRD wicks to start?

A hundred years ago I had some (emphasis on "some") success single wicking that jar with Premier 798 - and that could have been 415 or 464 I'm remembering, I'm not sure.  In any event, if you decide to try a different wick type, that might be worth a go.  Aztec sells some sizes of the Premier wicks for $1 per dozen.

1 hour ago, morethanrubies said:

I have never heard of those wicks, I'd be willing to try.  I'm getting frustrated and trying to understand how others are having to wick down with the CD wicks and mine are drowning.  I double wick with the CDs, any idea what I would use to double wick a Country Comfort in the RRD wicks to start?

Two rrd 34 probably to start. 

You "may" find blending that wax helps. For veg options stearic, carnauba, candelila or sunflower wax at low % (2-5%)  may help control that fast melt.