Cork

Waxxy

I would like to cut tapered cork stoppers (I've attached a pic.) Any ideas how to do this, besides cutting each one by hand? Is there a specific tool? I was thinking a cookie cutter, but I cannot find a tapered one. I would like the widest part to be around 4 inch diameter. 

IMG_9017.PNG

18 hours ago, Waxxy said:

I would like to cut tapered cork stoppers (I've attached a pic.) Any ideas how to do this, besides cutting each one by hand? Is there a specific tool? I was thinking a cookie cutter, but I cannot find a tapered one. I would like the widest part to be around 4 inch diameter. 

Um, I've done this before though NOT at 4". You'd need a (God forgive me for what I'm about to do) You're gonna want something like this: 

https://www.amazon.com/Malco-GOS5EV-4-Inch-Gutter-Outlet/dp/B00EFA4XZY/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1502194964&sr=1-1&keywords=4"+fine+hole+saw 

That'll give you a 4" diameter straight sided plug. To taper it though... yeah... That becomes more of a challenge. You'd need a disc sander with a tiltable table like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Delta-Equipment-31-140-Sander-12-Inch/dp/B00812RELM/ref=sr_1_5?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1502195388&sr=1-5&keywords=disc+sander

BUT WAIT!!!! THERE'S MORE!!!! 
(slow blink)

You'll need to create a jig that pins the plug in the center and allows you to basically spin the plug (think center hole on a fidget spinner) You'll tilt the table of the disc sander to your desired taper, bearing in mind that the plug is already at or slightly smaller than 4" so the end of the taper has to intersect at 0 for you to maintain a 4" major diameter. 
Oh, and your jig HAS TO BE FIXED IN PLACE so that the new plug inserted will turn all nicely and brush up against the sanding disc at the same depth as the last one, I'd make it with at least 2 or three outside rollers for quick alignment of the new plug... 

Or there's THIS: https://www.amazon.com/WIDGETCO-Size-Cork-Stoppers-Standard/dp/B00QIJNMUM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1502197057&sr=8-4&keywords=4"%2Bcork%2Bstoppers&th=1

HTH,

Sponiebr: The Executor of BAD ideas and Sundry Services. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the responses! The hole saw is a good idea! I was hoping to find a tapered hole cutter of some kind, but I'm not having any luck unfortunately. The sander seems to be a little above my capabilities. I was hoping to be able to do this myself and not have to recruit my husband. Lol. I may have to rethink my design because I am not willing to pay $4+ for one cork stopper. 

Yep, Sponey is 100% correct as I went and googled it and saw the same things he just said.  And you would have to sand the edges....I thought about that too.

I myself had been looking into finding a beautiful jar and use the cork top but corks that size are EXPENSIVE!

Then I was thinking....if you know exact diameter of size cork you would need, why do you even have to angle it?   I don't think you need to, so that would eliminate the angler thingy.

Have you found a source for your cork yet?

Trappeur

I know, they are so expensive! I haven't found a supplier yet, luckily I haven't spent much time on this project. Lol. I'm thinking if it isn't tapered, it could just fall into the jar and get stuck. I could be wrong. 

1 hour ago, Waxxy said:

I'm thinking if it isn't tapered, it could just fall into the jar and get stuck. I could be wrong. 

SAY 'ELLO TO MY LEETLE FREAND!!!!! 

598a45fd571fe_GlueGun.jpg.dfc33e12e8d09e81ca8c7398ae137c9a.jpg

You can get away with straight sided cork stoppers If ya put some ribbon and crap around the top outside edge... Like even a thin layer of, CORK.... o.O (ya know, for the purist)

If you have to cut'm a hole saw might be ONE of your cheapest routes. You COULD even use a jigsaw with a tilt table to cut your stoppers but that too will require the old nail-in-a-board circle cutting jig. (Really, it's just a nail in a board. Lookkit:

Oh and here's a little more info about cutting cork, razors really DO work best... But, OH LOOK! A CORK supplier too... O.O https://www.bangorcork.com/how-to-cut-cork-32120 

You can also "roll-your-own" by taking a strip of very thin cork and adding a little glue on the inside face wind up a cork stopper like a jelly roll. Then you sand, file, or pare the side down to the taper you want... 

There are a BUNCH of different ways of doing this. 

I actually own some of these jars and they are fantastic! I've had mine for around 15 years and the corks are still good. https://www.mountainroseherbs.com/products/clear-glass-wide-mouth-cork-top-jar/profile

Slainte!

Sponiebr

• Like 1