New to the forum, not to candlemaking

Hi! Just wanted to introduce myself. I've been making candles and soaps for about 9 years, 8 of which I worked at a candle supply company (I'm sure I have interacted with some of you regarding your orders and you may have seen many of the tutorials I created for them as well! :) ). I learned a lot while working there and have only browsed these forums but never joined until now. Recently my etsy business has really taken off and with the closure of Peak and my personal sale of a very large order I find myself in need of some advice from you lovely people who have a LOT more combined experience than myself. I look forward to interacting with you all!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Scented said:

Welcome to the forum! So curiosity gets to me and I am wondering who you worked for? :)

Thank you! Ummm well I was trying to be ambiguous so as not to stir things up but I suppose there's no real harm in it. I worked for Peak from 2008-2016. There is a lot of drama surrounding the closure at this time which is why I didn't want to bring it up originally but to be honest I don't know very much more about it than what is out there to see on Facebook. I'm trying my best to find replacements from other suppliers and will be sure to let you all know what I can find!  :) 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, lumoscandles said:

Thank you! Ummm well I was trying to be ambiguous so as not to stir things up but I suppose there's no real harm in it. I worked for Peak from 2008-2016. There is a lot of drama surrounding the closure at this time which is why I didn't want to bring it up originally but to be honest I don't know very much more about it than what is out there to see on Facebook. I'm trying my best to find replacements from other suppliers and will be sure to let you all know what I can find!  :) 

Not seeking to draw attention to you. Just was curious :) Appreciate you're willingness to help find replacements. 
So how did you get into candlemaking, just by working there or are you drawn to the craft side, sought to be a tension release, lover of candles etc.? 

• Like 2

No problem! Well, my grandfather used to make dipped tapers with me when I was a kid. He would melt down old, leftover candles on the stove and dip them. Other than that, I had no other experience with candles and had never really thought about it as a craft I could do until I started at Peak. When I was hired there, I was supplied with a starter kit and encouraged to learn and make candles and soaps to better assist customers with questions and I just loved it! I started buying more supplies and making them for friends and family as gifts. In 2009, I discovered Etsy and created my shop, LumosCandles, and sold a few things here and there but it really took off last year when I added some new products, labels, and better photos (which was GREAT because I got laid off last July and needed another source of income, but I was also taking 5 classes at MSU Denver so I was a bit overwhelmed!) I enjoy lots of crafts but have never gotten as good at anything else or enjoyed it quite as much as candle and soap making. As I learned more, I was put in charge of the tutorials for candletech so the majority of tutorials on there were created by me and I loved that part of my job the most! I loved coming up with new ideas and sharing them with customers! Now, my Etsy shop continues to grow and expand and even though it's a lot of work and in a little 1-bedroom apartment, I hope it will continue to flourish. :thumbsup2:

• Like 3

Welcome!  I keep missing these introductions so I'm late to the party.  I like having members who worked for the better suppliers on this board.  I'm sure you know things that we as the buyers don't know and can add value to this board.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2017 at 5:15 PM, lumoscandles said:

As I learned more, I was put in charge of the tutorials for candletech so the majority of tutorials on there were created by me and I loved that part of my job the most! I loved coming up with new ideas and sharing them with customers! Now, my Etsy shop continues to grow and expand and even though it's a lot of work and in a little 1-bedroom apartment, I hope it will continue to flourish. :thumbsup2:

So how do you feel about sharing your tutorials here once your restrictions are lifted as a newbie? 

13 hours ago, Scented said:

So how do you feel about sharing your tutorials here once your restrictions are lifted as a newbie? 

I'm not sure I will have the time or resources to make new tutorials with 4 college classes and my Etsy business, but you can still view all the ones I made for Peak on candletech.com :) 

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/30/2017 at 1:29 AM, LoveFragrance said:

Welcome to this lovely forum :) where i can find your tutorials :) would love to watch them 

They are mostly written tutorials with pictures, not videos, but they are all on www.candletech.com. Since that site was made through Peak Candle Supplies, which is now closed, I'm not sure how long the CandleTech website will remain up.

16 hours ago, lumoscandles said:

They are mostly written tutorials with pictures, not videos, but they are all on www.candletech.com. Since that site was made through Peak Candle Supplies, which is now closed, I'm not sure how long the CandleTech website will remain up.

ohhh , i thought you have a youtube channel

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/4/2017 at 1:15 PM, lumoscandles said:

This is an honest question so I hope I dont offend in any way, Im more curious than anything really. But how can a business such as your own sell candles, or any product for that matter, that contains Trademarked or Copywritten items? Meaning...how can you make a "House Stark" candle and label with the Stark wolf logo that clearly is trademarked and official to whomever owns those rights to GoT. Presumably GRRM. Or how can you make Harry Potter themed labels with Slitheren and Gryfendor(?) On them. 

Arent these types products copyright infrigement? Or is there a general rule that you can use them like you have? 

And like I said..this is based purley off curiosity, nothing else. Cause I might just well buy a few of those GoT candles for myself!

14 minutes ago, Clear Black said:

This is an honest question so I hope I dont offend in any way, Im more curious than anything really. But how can a business such as your own sell candles, or any product for that matter, that contains Trademarked or Copywritten items? Meaning...how can you make a "House Stark" candle and label with the Stark wolf logo that clearly is trademarked and official to whomever owns those rights to GoT. Presumably GRRM. Or how can you make Harry Potter themed labels with Slitheren and Gryfendor(?) On them. 

Arent these types products copyright infrigement? Or is there a general rule that you can use them like you have? 

And like I said..this is based purley off curiosity, nothing else. Cause I might just well buy a few of those GoT candles for myself!

To be honest, I am still trying to figure that out myself. When I started selling candles on Etsy, I wanted to do something that was based off of things I love, like Harry Potter and Game of Thrones. If you search those terms on Etsy there are thousands of items that are themed and have the logos or house names on them too, so I didn't think it would be a problem. (I know "everyone else is doing it" might not make it ok, but again I am still learning.) I wasn't selling much until very recently so I thought there is no harm in it. Now that my business is getting bigger and I am trying to make it into a legitimate source of income, I am trying to navigate all these ins and outs of owning a successful business. Right now, I'm just trying to make it through as I learn, and I know I may need to change my products if necessary. I'm still in the process of figuring it all out!

13 minutes ago, lumoscandles said:

To be honest, I am still trying to figure that out myself. When I started selling candles on Etsy, I wanted to do something that was based off of things I love, like Harry Potter and Game of Thrones. If you search those terms on Etsy there are thousands of items that are themed and have the logos or house names on them too, so I didn't think it would be a problem. (I know "everyone else is doing it" might not make it ok, but again I am still learning.) I wasn't selling much until very recently so I thought there is no harm in it. Now that my business is getting bigger and I am trying to make it into a legitimate source of income, I am trying to navigate all these ins and outs of owning a successful business. Right now, I'm just trying to make it through as I learn, and I know I may need to change my products if necessary. I'm still in the process of figuring it all out!

Thats exactly why I asked. Because if you do search Etsy..or any other market place there are plenty of people sellung a wide range of products similar to your "theme" I was in no way trying to single you out, quite the opposite.

Also, my labels have images in them as well. Its been a constant struggle learning what is ok to use and what isnt. Ive managed to find a bunch with free licenses, but even then you have to read the fine print on what is considered proper usage on each individual image. Others that werent free license, I have to shell out a bunch of money to purchase a commercial license in order to use that image on my products. I think next summer I will pay a graphic art student to create my own images the way I want them or pay my daughter. She is a hell of an artist and fluid with PS and AI.

Anyways, I digress. Its definetly a learning curve on what is ok and what isnt. Thats why we have these forums to bounce ideas off other people. Feel free to do so here as well!

Etsy is often scanned by trademark holders. frequently cease and desist letters are sent. shops are suspended or entirely shut down if c&d letters are ignored. 

My my best advice is to be unique to your own brand and not risk being forced to rebrand, repackage and re-start from scratch later. It would totally stink to be shut down during the holidays if a company's trademark team happens upon you. lush is notorious for routinely scanning the internet for their trademarked names and descriptions. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Etsy is often scanned by trademark holders. frequently cease and desist letters are sent. shops are suspended or entirely shut down if c&d letters are ignored. 

My my best advice is to be unique to your own brand and not risk being forced to rebrand, repackage and re-start from scratch later. It would totally stink to be shut down during the holidays if a company's trademark team happens upon you. lush is notorious for routinely scanning the internet for their trademarked names and descriptions. 

TT this is exactly why I asked how companies can use trademarked images on products. I know larger companies pay licensing fees, but I doubt anyone on Etsy is. I hope Lumos can solve his/her problems without too much fuss. Im sure there is a creative way around it

Luckily for me I payed graphic artists ahead of time to use their art commercially. The only downside to that route is someone else could potentially use the same image in something else. I dont get any exclusivity, but the odds of someone using the same image is very very low. They are obscure graphics on a paid site that not a lot of people use..they just happen to have the types of graphic that I was looking for

• Thanks 1