lumoscandles

New to the forum, not to candlemaking

16 posts in this topic

Hi! Just wanted to introduce myself. I've been making candles and soaps for about 9 years, 8 of which I worked at a candle supply company (I'm sure I have interacted with some of you regarding your orders and you may have seen many of the tutorials I created for them as well! :) ). I learned a lot while working there and have only browsed these forums but never joined until now. Recently my etsy business has really taken off and with the closure of Peak and my personal sale of a very large order I find myself in need of some advice from you lovely people who have a LOT more combined experience than myself. I look forward to interacting with you all!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the forum!!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to Craft Server! Glad to have you with us. Its also nice to have another experienced chandler on the board. You could probably offer advice as well as find some here.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome !

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome here....

 

Trappeur

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the forum! So curiosity gets to me and I am wondering who you worked for? :)

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Scented said:

Welcome to the forum! So curiosity gets to me and I am wondering who you worked for? :)

Thank you! Ummm well I was trying to be ambiguous so as not to stir things up but I suppose there's no real harm in it. I worked for Peak from 2008-2016. There is a lot of drama surrounding the closure at this time which is why I didn't want to bring it up originally but to be honest I don't know very much more about it than what is out there to see on Facebook. I'm trying my best to find replacements from other suppliers and will be sure to let you all know what I can find!  :) 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, lumoscandles said:

Thank you! Ummm well I was trying to be ambiguous so as not to stir things up but I suppose there's no real harm in it. I worked for Peak from 2008-2016. There is a lot of drama surrounding the closure at this time which is why I didn't want to bring it up originally but to be honest I don't know very much more about it than what is out there to see on Facebook. I'm trying my best to find replacements from other suppliers and will be sure to let you all know what I can find!  :) 

Not seeking to draw attention to you. Just was curious :) Appreciate you're willingness to help find replacements. 
So how did you get into candlemaking, just by working there or are you drawn to the craft side, sought to be a tension release, lover of candles etc.? 

 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No problem! Well, my grandfather used to make dipped tapers with me when I was a kid. He would melt down old, leftover candles on the stove and dip them. Other than that, I had no other experience with candles and had never really thought about it as a craft I could do until I started at Peak. When I was hired there, I was supplied with a starter kit and encouraged to learn and make candles and soaps to better assist customers with questions and I just loved it! I started buying more supplies and making them for friends and family as gifts. In 2009, I discovered Etsy and created my shop, LumosCandles, and sold a few things here and there but it really took off last year when I added some new products, labels, and better photos (which was GREAT because I got laid off last July and needed another source of income, but I was also taking 5 classes at MSU Denver so I was a bit overwhelmed!) I enjoy lots of crafts but have never gotten as good at anything else or enjoyed it quite as much as candle and soap making. As I learned more, I was put in charge of the tutorials for candletech so the majority of tutorials on there were created by me and I loved that part of my job the most! I loved coming up with new ideas and sharing them with customers! Now, my Etsy shop continues to grow and expand and even though it's a lot of work and in a little 1-bedroom apartment, I hope it will continue to flourish. :thumbsup2:

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome!  I keep missing these introductions so I'm late to the party.  I like having members who worked for the better suppliers on this board.  I'm sure you know things that we as the buyers don't know and can add value to this board.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What will happen to the board? Doesn't Peaks sponsor it?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, debele said:

What will happen to the board? Doesn't Peaks sponsor it?

 

raftserver is privately owned, not associated with Peak.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great to hear! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/2/2017 at 5:15 PM, lumoscandles said:

As I learned more, I was put in charge of the tutorials for candletech so the majority of tutorials on there were created by me and I loved that part of my job the most! I loved coming up with new ideas and sharing them with customers! Now, my Etsy shop continues to grow and expand and even though it's a lot of work and in a little 1-bedroom apartment, I hope it will continue to flourish. :thumbsup2:

So how do you feel about sharing your tutorials here once your restrictions are lifted as a newbie? 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Scented said:

So how do you feel about sharing your tutorials here once your restrictions are lifted as a newbie? 
 

I'm not sure I will have the time or resources to make new tutorials with 4 college classes and my Etsy business, but you can still view all the ones I made for Peak on candletech.com :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now