Peak Is Closing

GoldieMN

13 hours ago, Jcandleattic said:

Another great example of why/how I will NEVER use only 1 scent from any 1 supplier exclusively and have it be irreplaceable - because of this right here - who would have thought that Peak would have closed, and so abruptly? About 50% of all of my FO's are from Peak, however, I never get so attached to a scent or supplier that I can't replace it. 

Yes, there are several that I absolutely LOVE and that my customers all love too, but with the way I mix my scents and make my inventory, I don't have any "must haves" from a certain place. 

Some good advice....

On 7/24/2017 at 5:09 PM, e911 said:

This really stinks!! I ordered everything through Peak.  I loved that their scents came in amber bottles.. Everywhere else I've tried sends them in white see throughish bottles.. :(  This grinds my gears!  Have to redo all of the testing!  Find new scents, change the website information.. argh!

Try Fillmore's "TruScents" brand oils. Very good oils and also come in those amber bottles. Even the big 16 ouncers..I think the glass amber helps keep some life in the oils better than the plastic. Just my opinion though

• Like 1

Just reading this and it makes me so sad. My heart goes out to Alan and his family. Divorce is no picnic. He is right and he should focus on his kids and do what is best for him.

Now it makes sense why there were so many gaps in his stock over the last couple of years. I saw the signs and just didn't want to believe Peaks would ever close. Its like an institution for candle supplies and technology info that has always been around since I first started making candles.

This is going to effect a lot of people. So sorry to see this happening. :(

On 25 July 2017 at 10:39 PM, Jcandleattic said:

Another great example of why/how I will NEVER use only 1 scent from any 1 supplier exclusively and have it be irreplaceable - because of this right here - who would have thought that Peak would have closed, and so abruptly? About 50% of all of my FO's are from Peak, however, I never get so attached to a scent or supplier that I can't replace it. 

Yes, there are several that I absolutely LOVE and that my customers all love too, but with the way I mix my scents and make my inventory, I don't have any "must haves" from a certain place. 

i completely agree, I have also said this many times from Front Porch , Tennesse to Scent Works, DO NOT RELY on any supplier, some of these suppliers sniffing around for codes etc, who says that they will not go out of business down the road. See if you can buy direct and divide the oils amongst yourself because if a fragrance house closes,9 times out of 10 they are sold to a bigger company. I hate to see business suffer due to suppliers just cutting them off without a care in the world!!

@TallTayl I know this would be a wild idea but sometimes good ones are, why don't you set up selling oils like take over from Peaks, you have some good codes, dupes, you are involved with craft server  etc

I would do this if I was based in the US! I am in the UK and I am thinking about the EU market personally. I have codes from quite a few US companies and get oils from the US and EU.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mulberrysoap said:

@TallTayl I know this would be a wild idea but sometimes good ones are, why don't you set up selling oils like take over from Peaks, you have some good codes, dupes, you are involved with craft server  etc

I would do this if I was based in the US! I am in the UK and I am thinking about the EU market personally. I have codes from quite a few US companies and get oils from the US and EU.

The thought crossed my mind way back when with the scent works. It takes a LOT of space and capital to get an FO house going. With the many people duping peaks stuff already I am hoping the person who ultimately buys the codes from peak does not suffer losses ?

• Like 1

I have often thought about why could'nt we all go in together say for example to buy 464 wholesale?  Why couldn't a co-op be formed for maybe something like this.

For example Flaming who sells 464 our price is 55.49.  Are they do you think getting a wholesale markup of 50%?  Meaning do they purchase it at 27.00 b/4 their markup or maybe the markup is slim?  I know you would have to get a truckload or more I'm sure and then someone who did the co-op has to ship out these boxes of wax to everyone when in and geesh picking up a 50pound box of wax isn't for the faint hearted that is for sure.  Well, I do a lot of day dreaming....lol

Trappeur

• Like 2

I have second hand info that wax markups are not very much. Fragrance is where they make the money.

shipping on a case of wax is pretty high, until you can negotiate huge volume discount contracts with carriers. 

That said, splitting pallets with other local chandlers can save everyone a lot of $. I do this with chemical buys. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

The thought crossed my mind way back when with the scent works. It takes a LOT of space and capital to get an FO house going. With the many people duping peaks stuff already I am hoping the person who ultimately buys the codes from peak does not suffer losses ?

I really think you could do it and  you would do it well. If you limited it to the best of the best scents and grew from there it is doable. Based on the codes I have for some of the top suppliers the mark up is around a min of 50%

Mulberry, in reading that you said you have some codes, could you explain better how this works?  When you buy a code, is that code only for you and no one else will have it?  Or is a code only sold to a person buying that business?  How does it work if you don't mind me asking.  And what would you say is a fair price to pay for a code?

Trappeur

• Like 1

Hi i will do my best to explain. An example - just say Peak has codes for his scents,which he does. Ok, he has a great birthday cake scent, that scent has a unique code which the manufacturer uses to produce that exact fragrance which you can purchase from them. Most places it is 25 pounds worth at a time. Now only peak can use that code unless they sell it or give permission for someone else to use it and order the fragrance.

Some codes are worth about $100 and some can be worth $1,000 it really depends on the scent and usage. Some people just give the code away as they are not using it, every case is different.

any amount of people can use the same code, the manufacturer does not care as they sell more fragrance.

Some fragrance houses do not work on a code system per say, like a few fragrance houses just sell scents based on the name alone, so you could buy their lilac and so can everyone else. Lerbuthmuth (wrong spelling sorry) is an example of this. They do have custom scents of course, but they also have a massive list of fragrances that anyone can purchase and you will find some candle supplies have the same fragrances all from Lerbuthmuth. I hope this helps and is not as clear as mustard!

On 7/25/2017 at 8:06 PM, candlesncats said:

There is one started on this board in Fragrance section, I believe

Thank you! I will look for it.

My daughter was just asking me today if I had any candles left that I make with one of their fo's. :(

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, coconut said:

Their website is still down?

I believe so.  Sounds like they are working on a new website.  You can sign up for their newsletters on Facebook.  Go to "Contact Us" on their page.  That way, you may get better up-to-date information.  Also looks like it is in the plans to reopen in Colorado.  Guess they had two locations?  This is all from posts on Peak's FB page so not sure how this all works out with divorce settlement or if that will affect these plans.  

Goldie

15 minutes ago, Candybee said:

I'm confused.:huh:

It really is a confusing situation. The way I'm understanding the posts I've been reading is that he is going to reopen in about 2-3 weeks in Colorado. Someone even commented that they hoped things were looking up for him and his family and he replied that they were so maybe they're going to work things out. I sure hope so.

Anyway, that's what I'm gathering from what I'm reading.

Nachelle had posted on Facebook how the Colorado plant was just set to reopen. I wonder if it is she that is re-opening that portion.

In any event I plan to stock up on the two or three things that I have used. No way will I go with tubes when I can have the original. If I can't have the original I will do without 

16 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Nachelle had posted on Facebook how the Colorado plant was just set to reopen. I wonder if it is she that is re-opening that portion.

In any event I plan to stock up on the two or three things that I have used. No way will I go with tubes when I can have the original. If I can't have the original I will do without 

I'm not sure. From what I understand it was her that wanted to move to PA in the first place, and why they closed here the way they did. But who knows. I'm trying not to speculate too much. 

For ME, it would be great if they reopened here in the same or around the same location that they did before, however, anywhere is really a pretty easy drive for me unless it's down in Pueblo or somewhere like that. 

However, I will not hold my breath. I'll believe it when I see it.