Can someone explain these for me please?

Clear Black

http://www.courtneyscandles.com/89085ww.html?utm_source=Froogle&utm_medium=Comparison&utm_campaign=Frooglizer&gclid=Cj0KCQjwktHLBRDsARIsAFBSb6xHyx2Bc4ADf6J0T9LAplljQOnEz0otsO7lFTuGCumJDdxS6Us0WLEaAg9fEALw_wcB

Woodwick brand "SmartGel" that claims to be 5x the scent or normal wax melts. So if people normally make melts at lets say 5%, are they saying their gel is fragranced at 25%?? I am guessing they have to be using a custom gel designed for higher fragrance loads because Penreco Versagel CHP is pretty much as good as gel gets, and has a max 6-7% FO load.  

What am I missing? I was shopping this weekend and came across some of these tins and they were indeed fragranced very well. I almost purchased a few to test them but was rushed out the door and on to the next shop. Anyone use gel wax that can lend some insight maybe?

Edited by Clear Black

Well.. I can give you a few suggestions.

1) Traditionally, candles and melts were fragranced at 3%. So when you hear triple wicked, they usually mean 9 or 10% So i am guessing 5x the scent is 15%

I am not as familiar with gel wax, but I know there are wax blends out there can hold over 12 (supposedly). Also.. since melts have no concern for wicking... they can pump as much additive they want into it to increase the FO load.

2) They could also be using weaker oil which is why they add a lot more

3) They could also just be full of SH$% :)

Regardless... waste of money. no need for that much. Thats just overwhleming IMO. 

13 hours ago, wthomas57 said:

Well.. I can give you a few suggestions.

1) Traditionally, candles and melts were fragranced at 3%. So when you hear triple wicked, they usually mean 9 or 10% So i am guessing 5x the scent is 15%

I am not as familiar with gel wax, but I know there are wax blends out there can hold over 12 (supposedly). Also.. since melts have no concern for wicking... they can pump as much additive they want into it to increase the FO load.

2) They could also be using weaker oil which is why they add a lot more

3) They could also just be full of SH$% :)

Regardless... waste of money. no need for that much. Thats just overwhleming IMO. 

Ya, it sounded like marketing nonsense to me which is why I was confused. Appreciate the feedback. 

The only gel Ive seen come close to that is Versagel Chp which has a max 7% FO load based off their own MSDS. Im curious what additives they would put in to bump it higher? Im not familiar with gel at all to even speculate on this

Vybar and/or Stearic Acid raises FO potential. But I don't use gel myself so not sure of that application.

The other thing worth mentioning... many gel candle makers use FO by volume not by weight like most.

If they are doing by volume.. then will can and will claim much higher fragrance loads. BS if you ask me.

• Like 1