Starting a gel candle project this year

birdcharm

After taking a break from gel candles for a couple of years, I've decided to buy some gel soon and start to think about some fall and winter designs this year. 

Anyway, that's my plan for this fall and winter.  I'll still do some soy candles, but for gifts and some home candles, I'm going back to gel for now -- I'm even starting to get my supplies organized, little by little!  :)

• Like 2

Yes ... I will certainly do that.  It's been awhile since I've made them, but I've been wanting to get back into it.  I might need to order some straight sided glasses or jars if I want to try to do some with embeds pressed up against the glass; but then I'd also have to order some high meltpoint wax, so I might just stick with plain or clear-colored marbles.  I've also got shells and sand, so I might decide to do some seascapes.  It's kind of nice when you've put something down for awhile because when you start to get back into it, you've already got the experience, so it's fun to start anew with some of your mistakes already behind you!  :)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 7/25/2017 at 11:50 AM, Clear Black said:

Post some photos of your progress!  I would love to see how they come out

We had a little break in the weather, so I finally poured my first one.  I've got to get into better practice (too many bubbles), but I was just wanting to get my feet wet.  I used more marbles than I normally would since it was a practice candle, and learned that my "clear" marbles seem to be a bit more yellowish than I prefer.  I only sunk one shell in there just to do it, and since I didn't fill it with gel beforehand, I got a little bubble out of it, but not so bad.  I plan to make some seascapes with sand in the bottom sometime soon.

Anyway, I promised to return, so here I am.  :)

aquagel1.jpg.43e5561cea9bf87aa830486788881383.jpgaquagel2.jpg.a698cc94d3e9688857364f820f1961d0.jpg

• Like 2

I'd love to see them! 

I'm trying to get used to the high density, which is what I bought this time around -- I think I'm going to figure out how to add some white mineral oil to it to make it more of a medium density though, as this stuff is pretty dense and thick.  I've never used this type before.  Some cooler evenings may be headed my way for a few days, so I may pour another one to continue my practice session!

• 4 years later...

I've had some come out with a lot of tiny bubbles also. Learned that pouring onto a metal spoon will cut down on the bubbles but if there are still too many to your liking, I've placed mine on a cookie sheet and heated them up some in the oven at 200 degrees for an hour or so. 

Those are good ideas ... my temperature probably wasn't hot enough, if you pour pretty hot, there will be fewer bubbles.  I've still only poured a few since I posted this thread since I've been using other waxes.  Thinning down the high density seems to be working a bit better in my recent attempts, I prefer a lighter density, much easier to work with, imo.  I used to make a lot of gel candles, but the price of gel is much higher than what I was paying at the time!

• Like 1

You are correct, the hotter the pour, the less bubbles there should be and I'm glad thinning down is working for you.

I rarely make candles anymore, but I did one recently for a Christmas gift. I have started not adding a wick to them because 99.9% of folks I've sold to do not burn them because they like the way they look. So I got a lot of jars with lids for Christmas and will be making what I like to call "Gel Creations". Below is a candle, the darker colored one and a creation I did for myself.

20220103_143448.jpg

20220103_143429.jpg