Anyone here making soy candles before 1994?

Soy waxes can change season to season, year to year, because no crop is going to be exactly the same as the last due to weather patterns, soil density and nutrients in the soil, etc., 

However with that being said, I don't know if there have been huge differences in GMO vs non-GMO. 

1 hour ago, Trappeur said:

Oh, Genetically modified I see....and the O?  Oil?

Trappeur

Genetically Modified Organisms

Chemicals are used to control weeds, but the chemicals were affecting yield of soy, corn, etc.  So Monsanto modified the DNA in soybeans (=genetically modified) so the beans would not be affected by Roundup, a popular herbicide.   "According to the US Department of Agriculture, more than 90 percent of the soybeans churned out on US farms each year are genetically engineered to withstand herbicides, nearly all of them involving one called Roundup."

There is one chemical soybean farmers are not suppose to use by law, recently I believe, with the non-organic soy, but they still do because it is cheaper.  Not sure how it affects the soy, but there must be a reason the USDA does not allow the herbicide.  So if farmers ARE using this banned product, it may be affecting the soy (my thoughts, I  haven't researched further).

Goldie

3 hours ago, Jcandleattic said:

Soy waxes can change season to season, year to year, because no crop is going to be exactly the same as the last due to weather patterns, soil density and nutrients in the soil, etc., 

However with that being said, I don't know if there have been huge differences in GMO vs non-GMO. 

That is what I wondered. I have seen so many recent posts about issues with soy wax, and don't recall so many posts in the past.

They went LAME-O if you ask me....

I never ever had a problem with 415 being drastically different enough to have redo my whole wicking on everything!

this years lots are extremely different for me - nothing else has changed in my system but the lot number on the cases of 415 I have now - I am finding it's burning way too hot and need to wick down or add stearics to slow the burn- still working on figuring it all out 

You are as well with 464??

this is very strange, I have dozens of jars already permatex wicked which makes me sick because they won't work now with this wax until I figure out how to cool the burn

but it may be more cost effective to just cut my losses on those jars and refigure out my wicking , so much time involved  I don't have 

Edited by moonshine

So 464 and 415 require wicking down and c3 up. What the heck is going on?

at least 464 and 415 are by the same manufacturer. 

Is thischamging your throw trap? My ht is pretty abysmal compared to prior years

Seems to be across the board with soy wax that was manufactured in the past 6-12 months so it must be the soybeans.  Yep, let's blame it on the bean.

Makes me sick the results I'm getting with some scents.  Yes, I've been using soy wax prior to 1994 and the GMO happened long ago so what else can it be but last years crop?? 

Since only a small number of plants convert the beans to oil for all industries, it makes sense it is industry wide. Soy candles are a secondary market to food, so whatever changed for food laws is having a downstream effect on us. I have spend hundreds of $ trying to find a combo that works with this janky wax. It is disgusting that the manuafcturers and retailers are silent. 

I did contact cargill when i noticed the trend. They want to blame the reseller for handling, but asked for my lot info. After I sent the lot # and purchasing location I got crickets.

my gut tells me they know. And don't much care. 

Seems golden brands /about soy was the not one who made a peep and proactively reformulated everything with notice. 

It is interesting that you all say it is something different in the soy in the past year. I moved about 2 1/2 years ago and not long after started getting sick. Allergies went berserk. I no longer can eat any soy but soy sauce. Whatever it is seems to affect the wax too.

What changed with the food laws? Sure made things worse, not better.

My hot throw is also significantly less in this years lots....have been burning testers all day and it just doesn't seem as strong as before - pulled some tester jars made from last year of the same fragrance and so different in burn and throw - I don't even know what to say....so many years into perfecting my brand and now ?‍♀️

• Like 1

@Coconut  Yes!  That is the product I was thinking about when I wrote my post about GMOs and herbicides.  Monsanto created soybean plants that were genetically modified to survive the use of Dicamba which kills pigweed.  At this point, chandlers are seeing a difference in their soy.  I think producers should be made aware.  This is why I suggested anyone experiencing problems with soy to contact either the company they purchased it from or the producer such as AAK (Golden).  Even if you get no response, if enough people complain, MAYBE someone will look into it.  

I wonder what other soy products are being affected by these changes like food. . .  

Goldie

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GoldieMN said:

@Coconut  Yes!  That is the product I was thinking about when I wrote my post about GMOs and herbicides.  Monsanto created soybean plants that were genetically modified to survive the use of Dicamba which kills pigweed.  At this point, chandlers are seeing a difference in their soy.  I think producers should be made aware.  This is why I suggested anyone experiencing problems with soy to contact either the company they purchased it from or the producer such as AAK (Golden).  Even if you get no response, if enough people complain, MAYBE someone will look into it.  

I wonder what other soy products are being affected by these changes like food. . .  

Goldie

I agree! 

Send them lot numbers, purchase dates and supplier information. Cargill passed blame on to EAP when I contacted them. All in the supply chain need to be contacted so this can be remedied. 

• Like 1

On 7/18/2017 at 9:45 AM, TallTayl said:

So 464 and 415 require wicking down and c3 up. What the heck is going on?

at least 464 and 415 are by the same manufacturer. 

Is thischamging your throw trap? My ht is pretty abysmal compared to prior years

My HT in 444 has tanked in the last 6 months TT. My 10 oz jars are basically bathroom capable only at this point. Used to fill a large room this past winter, not any more. NOTHING has changed on my end, I still order everything as usual and make them the same I always have. :sad2:

• Like 1

?☹️?

Yet the FO retailers are taking so much blame lately.  

I am burning 10 candles in my kitchen just to empty the tins for more blend tests. Can't smell much of anything. This is killing the soy candle market right now. 

Ready to switch waxes but am in the early Faire season and don't have enough time to properly test aLternatives. 

I AM getting throw from an old, old, old case of pillar blend. When I blend even 10% into the current lot of C3 there is a noticeable difference. So, it is NOT the fragrances. 

Glass glow Palm wax is throwing the scents just fine too.

Scents like mac apple that would fill several rooms using prior lots is, like clear black notes above, a bathroom candle in this new lot of soy. 

On 7/19/2017 at 8:40 PM, TallTayl said:

?☹️?

Yet the FO retailers are taking so much blame lately.  

I am burning 10 candles in my kitchen just to empty the tins for more blend tests. Can't smell much of anything. This is killing the soy candle market right now. 

Ready to switch waxes but am in the early Faire season and don't have enough time to properly test aLternatives. 

With the scary stuff I have been reading about herbicide in gmo soy, and if you have to retest anyway,  may be time to look at an alternative wax. I can post links later if anyone is interested

• Like 3