Advice for Labels

I thought I was going to love these hang tags for my candles. The front would be the picture and scent name and the back would be my company info and room to write a shell type. When I designed them in my head I was using a 16 oz jar, not the 12 oz - and now they just look HUGE!!  I like that they are detachable and give me room to personalize it a bit.  

I also have to order them in quantities of 250 or more - which will get pricey when I expand my scents.  I've read about trial and error with scent names and don't want to be stuck with lots of labels I can't use.  So I started looking into printing my own labels.

The Maestro designer looks like something I can handle!  Just wondering what type of label material I should start off with?  Matte, glossy?  I will be using pretty watercolor paintings for my scent pictures, so I'd like something that really makes them look beautiful.  

Thanks for any help/feedback!

IMG_2578.jpg

IMG_2581.jpg

• Like 1

Hello Island Girl,

I would like to make a few suggestions if you don't care.  Please don't take it offensively as it is not meant to be that what so ever.

1.  Your label is extremely too large for that jar.  I would cut in down to 1/3 the size if you are going for a hang tag type label.  it is in my opinion way too long and too wide.

2.  To me the white background is too stark.  I could see a nice craft paper look background with that style jar with the cork top.   I love that cork lid!  What does the jar look like?  I've been looking for a style jar like that.....That style jar you are using with that lid needs to have something for a label that compliments your whole look you have going and the labels that you are working on just don't fit that jar.  A thought that came to my mind to keep it simple so all your jars would look alike would be to maybe using natural twine.  Would look great with that cork lid!  Just a suggestion.

3.  The second picture, it doesn't look professional with a hand written scent name.  I know nothing about making/printing my own labels as I design my own labels through a company named Zazzle.  So many here on the board print theirs and I'm sure others will chime in here.  For the same reason of you saying it could be very costly ordering 1 label with just 1 scent I just couldn't afford to do that.

4.  Presentation, presentation, presentation can definitely make or break a sale and if you are going to sell your candles it is of utmost importance to put together a beautiful finished product.   We all have to start somewhere.  You have a great start with a great looking jar.  Do you mind me asking where you got your jar with that cork lid?

Look at this photo I found one day that I have saved with a jar that looks like yours.  I have always loved this type look.I think this is a smashing label...I'm not saying to copy this label but look at what the finished product looks like.  Keep us posted.   You will get there!      Trappeur

14067654_1080042742077050_2433988369396447120_n.jpg.5d3bd2fb041ea23310c69512d42a00ae.jpg

Edited by Trappeur
  • Like 5

Thanks Trappeur!  I don't mind at all, that's why I asked ;)  

I agree, the tags are just tooooo big.  I will talk to my printer and see if there's a way to make them smaller/folded.  

My candles will all be tropical/beachy scents and so I would like them to be colorful.  The candles in your photo are beautiful, but there are so many that look like that in our area shops - I thought some colorful labels would help mine stand out.  I have some nice watercolors that I am planning on using.  I will try natural twine on a few to see how it looks.

The handwritten part on the back is the name of the shell, not the scent name.  I was collecting shells and tying one to each tag - then handwriting what each shell was.

I got the jars from Glass Now, they are called Calypso.  They come in 16 oz and 12 oz.  and they have some beautiful colors!  They also have a metal lid or a bamboo top.  My last order had a few cases with broken jars and their customer service was very responsive.

I have seen some of your labels and only hope I can look as professional as you someday!  

So I have to share what has happened since my OP.  When I picked up the tags from my local printer, I brought her a candle as a thank you for helping me and placed a tag on it before I left.  That afternoon, the director of our local museum stopped at the printer and saw the candle on her desk.  

One week later....

Today I delivered 12 candles to the director to hand out at her board meeting tomorrow.  The museum is being completely renovated and they are expanding their gift shop --- and the director wants to make my candles her featured item!!  And she wants them to look exactly like my above picture!  The director understood my hair-brained vision, crazy, huh?

I will still create another label for my other scents, not only is the tag too big, but they're kind of a pain in the butt!  

• Like 3

Wow, that is great!  And yes, it is a good idea that you are going to create a much smaller tag.  I like the idea of a folded tag.  Actually I have an account that I use a folded tag on.  I actually use a business card as my folded tag.  The size is perfect.

So what are the scents that you make and offer?

Best wishes.

Trappeur

• 2 years later...
On 7/11/2017 at 11:15 PM, Island girl said:

I thought I was going to love these hang tags for my candles. The front would be the picture and scent name and the back would be my company info and room to write a shell type. When I designed them in my head I was using a 16 oz jar, not the 12 oz - and now they just look HUGE!!  I like that they are detachable and give me room to personalize it a bit.  

That candle and label is very cute.