Scent ideas?

Dreamingowlcreations

I'm new here so I'm sorry if this isn't allowed but I was hoping to get some advice on my waxes (wax melts, or tarts whichever you call it) I make I use 100% soy wax I order it online I also use scents I find online I shut down my etsy shop for a few months because of finances I would like to open it again once I get my shop set up so hopefully I'll be able to work on my melts easier I just have a few questions I would like you guys to answer me

1. What are your 4 top scents ?

2. Do you care if the tarts/melts are dyed a certain color? 

3. What makes you want to buy wax tarts online? 

4. Do you like when the melts have glitter in them? 

5. Advice on getting them to sell?

6. Reasonable pricing for product and shipping? 

7. Advice on opening a website for waxes? 

Also if you would like to follow me on etsy my shop name is called *********I will follow you back. 

Thanks for all the feedback I really appreciate it! 

Where are you located? At lot of these answers are going to depend on your market area, and what is popular/selling there. 

Do you have local markets that you can go and browse and get an idea of what others are doing? 

Here are my answers, although they will seem non-specific, and vague, because every market is different 

1. What are your 4 top scents ? This varies depending on season and theme I'm trying to present. Always popular though, are bakery type scents, and fresh clean scents. 

2. Do you care if the tarts/melts are dyed a certain color? This is going to be market specific and how you market them. I know some people who don't color and do great, and same with coloring them. I color mine and do quite well. 

3. What makes you want to buy wax tarts online? I make my own tarts/melts so the only reason I personally would buy them online is for market research. 

4. Do you like when the melts have glitter in them? Personal preference. I sell both and do well with both because that's what my market will allow. 

5. Advice on getting them to sell? Good advertising and marketing

6. Reasonable pricing for product and shipping? This will be seller specific - you have to take all of your total COG into account and break it down bit by bit and then do your markups from there, and make sure you add in everything, to get accurate pricing, so you are not shortselling yourself, but also so you are not overpricing your product. 

7. Advice on opening a website for waxes? Do you mean like a supplier selling different waxes, or as a crafter selling candles/melts? You have/had an etsy shop, so as you know, the market is saturated with these types of crafters, so you have to make your presence known and this goes back to #5 - good advertising and marketing. 

Sorry these are so vague, but you in order to stand out, you really need to research your market area, what it will allow, and how to customize your products... etc., 

Good luck... 

13 hours ago, Jcandleattic said:

Where are you located? At lot of these answers are going to depend on your market area, and what is popular/selling there. 

Do you have local markets that you can go and browse and get an idea of what others are doing? 

Here are my answers, although they will seem non-specific, and vague, because every market is different 

1. What are your 4 top scents ? This varies depending on season and theme I'm trying to present. Always popular though, are bakery type scents, and fresh clean scents. 

2. Do you care if the tarts/melts are dyed a certain color? This is going to be market specific and how you market them. I know some people who don't color and do great, and same with coloring them. I color mine and do quite well. 

3. What makes you want to buy wax tarts online? I make my own tarts/melts so the only reason I personally would buy them online is for market research. 

4. Do you like when the melts have glitter in them? Personal preference. I sell both and do well with both because that's what my market will allow. 

5. Advice on getting them to sell? Good advertising and marketing

6. Reasonable pricing for product and shipping? This will be seller specific - you have to take all of your total COG into account and break it down bit by bit and then do your markups from there, and make sure you add in everything, to get accurate pricing, so you are not shortselling yourself, but also so you are not overpricing your product. 

7. Advice on opening a website for waxes? Do you mean like a supplier selling different waxes, or as a crafter selling candles/melts? You have/had an etsy shop, so as you know, the market is saturated with these types of crafters, so you have to make your presence known and this goes back to #5 - good advertising and marketing. 

Sorry these are so vague, but you in order to stand out, you really need to research your market area, what it will allow, and how to customize your products... etc., 

Good luck... 

I live in West Virginia I did have an etsy shop but I closed it because I wasn't selling any of the scents I had listed and I'd ask a question on the forum and everyone would jump in about how I didn't know what I was doing and wouldn't give any kind of advice so vague is better than nothing so thank you and we do have a few local markets but no one sells wax melts there so I'm hoping to get my shop room finished before they close the markets for the summer

Edited by Dreamingowlcreations

Maybe consider other reasons for melts not selling on Etsy outside of just the scents. Etsy is all about the marketing images, branding, feedback and a handmade look, among other things. This is also along the lines of what TallTayl mentioned.

I know many, many people who have build highly successful wax based businesses really quick, starting on Etsy. But you have to stand out because this is a highly saturated market. I think it's about so much more than just scent types offered. 

Hello,

I love to shop on Etsy and have been contemplating forever to open up a shop there for so long but haven't done anything so far.  I constantly like to read reviews on others products to see how they do.

You say you weren't selling the scents you had listed.  What makes you think it was your fragrances that weren't selling?

What fragrances did you have available?

May I ask you how you presented them?  In the clamshells?

What size were they and what was your retail price you had them listed?

Would you have a picture of one of your listings of how you showcased it on Etsy?

Trappeur

• Like 1

On 7/10/2017 at 8:01 PM, Dreamingowlcreations said:

I live in West Virginia I did have an etsy shop but I closed it because I wasn't selling any of the scents I had listed and I'd ask a question on the forum and everyone would jump in about how I didn't know what I was doing and wouldn't give any kind of advice so vague is better than nothing so thank you and we do have a few local markets but no one sells wax melts there so I'm hoping to get my shop room finished before they close the markets for the summer

I read the forums on Etsy often 

and I never saw that anyone on there was mean spirited. If anything I found them to be very

nice. They would come out & say you didn't know what your going ?

Very surprising since I've never had that experience, I'm sorry you did :( 

So sorry to hear you had a bad experience in the Etsy forums. Most times when asking for a shop critique the information is really excellent.

if you keep an open mind with the critiques sometimes you can change just enough to get the attention you need.

on Etsy it's all about the story and the feeling that you evoke with your words and your pictures. Paint a picture of exactly what the person should feel when they're smelling your melts and they will just have to have one. 

And packaging packaging packaging. Did I mention packaging? Make sure you put a picture of how they will receive it. If you put it in a cute bag with the sticker. Show all of it. Show a picture of how it will be shipped too. Let them know that they're getting an exceptional product from melt to box. And that you care. 

Im with Trap on this one. I want to know first of all, what scents were you trying and failing to sell? You can always try and start simple. Stick to the basic fragrances people know and love.  For instance, Vanilla, Apple, Blueberry, bakery types, clean typs etc etc. If you still arent selling the "popular" fragrances or "in season" scents then maybe its your packaging and marketing like TT suggests. The wax market is sooooooooooooo saturated, so if your packaging doesnt stand out from the rest it will just blend in. And blending in will not get you far. In fact, like TT said in another post, I have been through 7 different "re-branding" and packaging types to where I now feel I finally stand out from most other candle sellers. Its so beyond saturated I will never truly have a unique item I believe, but ive spent 3x the amount of time on my packaging than my actual wax and FO's to achieve some level of uniqueness.  Again, search through some of TT, Traps, Moons and Jcandles posts. They have some great info on standing out and making YOUR MARK and product stand out. They have done well for themselves and like me you can learn a lot by reading through older posts by more experienced members here. Just my 2 cents tho. Best of luck

Also, nobody here will be mean or cruel unless you deserve it *deadhorse*

Edited by Clear Black

I've have been selling on Etsy for well over 5 years. It is true about the packaging as well as all other things I mentioned. I've heard over and over again that our customers feel like they are opening a present when they open something they buy from us. Our packaging is a big part of our branding and we drive home the handmade aspect of our business through the packaging itself, as well as through our thank you card and product and the product's details.