Finding your niche

Such a wonderful setup TT. I have such a soft spot for Renn Faires. I met my husband when he was a guild member and I was a patron at the Virginia Renn Faire.  Funny what a chance meeting on the weekend turns into....a fairytale!

Maryland has a great Faire near Annapolis for anyone in the Mid Atlantic area.

Jody

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/10/2017 at 7:04 PM, TallTayl said:

The very first for this Faire was Witches Brew. A patron walked up with a nub of an ancient black candle in a zip loc baggie and asked if I could replicate the scent. In all honesty I told her I could not even smell it, but if she described what she remembered we could work on it. I put together a couple of sniffie blotters and mailed them to her. She made a couple of suggestions - ending up combining several I sent and we nailed it. Witches Brew is still a number one selling scent in soap, wax melts, soy candles, and cast iron cauldrons.

Next year my daughter and I expressed our love of the Faire's homage to the Renaissance  danse macabre by creating a scent blend described in the prior year's newsletter. We read that when the dansers progress through a village people feel a chill in the air, a waft of smoke and hint of pipe tobacco. We debuted the scent in soap early in season 2 to instant embracing by the troupe that performs at our Faire. It is now their signature scent. A bar of that first batch sold at a benefit auction for performers for over $100!  It is a top 3 requested scent by patrons every year in every single product. 

Last year was Sleepy Hollow. What would it smell like to be IN the story book Sleepy Hollow? Burning leaves. Grass in your rake. Graveyard dirt. Bonfire of woods. Voila. Sold out of it in several product over the weekend. 

Each week at Faire has a theme. Steampunk week is the only time Absinthe is served. I smelled the drink, then translated that into a soap/candle, etc. ditto with honey mead. 

This is our look opening weekend yesterday and the day before. 

IMG_1500.JPG

I will look for/take pics of the Brew and macabre to add. 

TallTayl, is this by chance at the The Enchanted Chalice ren faire?  We have a son that works in SC and we were thinking of visiting.  If so, I will definitely have to go now! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I would apply a unique skill set to the product. I don't have a trained nose so scent won't be my strength.

I'm handy so I make my own equipment, to either

make difficult designs

or

increase efficiency to price out others. 

other niches

-goth theme

-witch, superstitious, good luck, positive energy etc

-premium hand carved

- heavy on charity. (1 soap bought = 1 soap donated/1 tree gets planted/save the bees!)

-glorify a uncommon exotic ingredient

-identity. (for LGBTQ, from a country, for people who suffer from migraines)