Recommendations for room spray FO's

bfroberts

1 hour ago, TallTayl said:

I actually make it all in situ, but phases. First blend the modifier with the eo/FO, let it clear. Then add the alcohol. Then the water. The mix takes color well, either through a drop of dye, a sprinkle of mica, and even the synthetic fluorphlogopite (synthetic mica) for sparkle like the Viniq wines.

each FO has a slightly different requirement for modifier. Some do not require that much modifier at all. I have been successful adding more modifier to some that cloud after the fact to make a finished batch crystal clear.

IMO the alcohol is the magic ingredient. 

Essentials by Catalina has several *very* nice bases. They are forthcoming with the ingredients too! At least you know what is in it. Aromahaven is coy with theirs, (which bugs the crap out of me). 

The way around it all is to use opaque packaging so the cloud is not an issue ?  

Hmm. Interesting information. One thing Im still unclear of is what % of the alchohol do you use per batch?  And I assume you are using distilled water and not tap.

Thanks TT

Edited by Clear Black

Alcohol % - according to an old lab chemist friend, anything above 20% to act as a preservative in a water based liquid. I use 21% perfumers alcohol so I won't need to add a secondary preservative. I have seen gross growth in water solutions before. not many water compatible preservatives are also allowed to be sprayed.

Yes, distilled water.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Alcohol % - according to an old lab chemist friend, anything above 20% to act as a preservative in a water based liquid. I use 21% perfumers alcohol so I won't need to add a secondary preservative. I have seen gross growth in water solutions before. not many water compatible preservatives are also allowed to be sprayed.

Yes, distilled water.

Great thanks TT.

Any chance you can share where you get you alcohol from? I am not familiar at all with it and would like the peace of mind knowing its the proper stuff. So far the only place I have seemed to locate some is:

http://www.saveonscents.com/product_info.php/products_id/3572

But I have never purchased from saveonscents before and am a bit leery of the site 

That is where my last shipment came from. Search sd-alcohol or perfumers alcohol. 

To test some for personal use, give everclear or vodka a try. Vodka will impart a slight smell. Everclear will not as much. Both have the familiar perfumers alcohol smell. 

Sd alcohol-40  is very similar to everclear, but with added bittrex so people cannot drink it. The ATF has severe restrictions to selling products with drinkable alcohol without a license. But for trial and error that has relatively little investment to see if you like it, locally purchased will work just fine.

fyi, a perfume is basically alcohol with fragrance. Different concentrations make is range from a toilet water to a cologne. I use perfumers alcohol with various resins, like dragons blood to make my own natural perfumery. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TallTayl said:

That is where my last shipment came from. Search sd-alcohol or perfumers alcohol. 

To test some for personal use, give everclear or vodka a try. Vodka will impart a slight smell. Everclear will not as much. Both have the familiar perfumers alcohol smell. 

Sd alcohol-40  is very similar to everclear, but with added bittrex so people cannot drink it. The ATF has severe restrictions to selling products with drinkable alcohol without a license. But for trial and error that has relatively little investment to see if you like it, locally purchased will work just fine.

fyi, a perfume is basically alcohol with fragrance. Different concentrations make is range from a toilet water to a cologne. I use perfumers alcohol with various resins, like dragons blood to make my own natural perfumery. 

Hey TT!! I woke up this morning determined to research more about what you have been telling me, just trying to soak up as much as I can. In so doing that I sorta stumbled upon this video: 

It explains the different carrier alcohols like you were telling me a bit. Im sort of a visual learner so once I watched this video it dinged in my head what you were trying to tell me about the Vodka and Everclear. Now the only thing im left still trying to figure out is the FO modifier and why she wasnt using any in this application. Maybe because she is making a perfume and we were speaking of air fresheners? I dunno lol.

Also, you are an angel with your patience and understanding, and also willingness to help others like me who wont stop asking questions. Tons of respect for you TT. Thanks

I'll check out the video when I get home.

We're just closing up at our big fair right now.

I use the modifier so that the liquid stays clear. Without it the liquid turns milky white with the water. It acts as an emulsifier between the oil and water when not using alcohol or enough alcohol. 

• Like 1