Oregon Trails Reviews

Trappeur

Thought I would put up some reviews on my first order from them.

I've read that Oregon Trails has quality oils...not impressed as of yet.  But just like all suppliers, they all have duds.  Seems like I ordered some of them. ha! 

I'm still looking for that "ultimate"  "campfire marshmallow"/"smores".

Oregon had 2 that I ordered as the descriptions were so nice.

I'm using 464 with cd wicks.

Toasty Marshmallow n Hot Cocoa:  After a 2 week cure in 464.....a DUD!   No scent.......What a bummer!

Marshmallows by the Campfire:   Smells just like so many oils out there....just a fire going.....not impressed....I don't smell any marshmallow in the bottle what so ever so

I'm probably going to be disappointed in this one.

Harvest Moon:  Description:  spiced cinnamon, orange, clove with sweet vanilla and a touch of almond...heavenly.

Will be putting in wax today.  Smell delicious......we shall see

Creamy coconut:  Not impressed.  Smells fake to me.   I'll make a candle and see...

Trappeur

Agree with Faerywren, they used to be one of the ones known for better quality oils.  I opened this thread expecting to hear wonderful comments about their scents lately.  But it sounds like they've done reformulations and are sub-par now.  Everybody keeps going to cheaper, crappier ingredients and we can sure tell it.  :( 

• Like 1

I love several of their oils. Toasty Marshmallow n Hot Cocoa  takes a long time to cure but once it does, it is super nice for wax melts. I've had more luck with their oils in melt &pour soap than wax but so many are just excellent. Duds for me were mostly lemons, lavender, coconut...the usual suspects. Their Colombian Coffee is very good and their rose scents are fantastic. So is Garden Party!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, maryta said:

I love several of their oils. Toasty Marshmallow n Hot Cocoa  takes a long time to cure but once it does, it is super nice for wax melts. I've had more luck with their oils in melt &pour soap than wax but so many are just excellent. Duds for me were mostly lemons, lavender, coconut...the usual suspects. Their Colombian Coffee is very good and their rose scents are fantastic. So is Garden Party!

Maryta do you make  wax melts in the plastic clamshells or bigger shaped ones ? Personally, I like bigger melts. They seem to be stronger than the little cubes IMO

or maybe I just receive it that way  ??? Do you actually smell the marshmallow in the cocoa ? 

10 hours ago, Moonstar said:

Maryta do you make  wax melts in the plastic clamshells or bigger shaped ones ? Personally, I like bigger melts. They seem to be stronger than the little cubes IMO

or maybe I just receive it that way  ??? Do you actually smell the marshmallow in the cocoa ? 

I don't do clamshells. I don't really smell marshmallows in particular...just the overall scent is good!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, maryta said:

Ok, I will let the candle sit another week.  I will say this fragrance is beautiful smelling from the bottle.  So I will give it a chance.

For years when I had my store I carried McCalls candles and Campfire Marshmallow was just the ultimate.

My orders every month to McCalls averaged minimum $5,000.00 a month I sold that many candles.....There was 1 order I'll never forget that was $9,000.00.  I sold that much.  Think I will go and order a couple from them today.  They have since changed the name to Smore's....don't know why they did as I love "Campfire Marshmallow" for a name.

Trappeur

Edited by Trappeur
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/4/2017 at 9:07 AM, Trappeur said:

Ok, I will let the candle sit another week.  I will say this fragrance is beautiful smelling from the bottle.  So I will give it a chance.

For years when I had my store I carried McCalls candles and Campfire Marshmallow was just the ultimate.

My orders every month to McCalls averaged minimum $5,000.00 a month I sold that many candles.....There was 1 order I'll never forget that was $9,000.00.  I sold that much.  Think I will go and order a couple from them today.  They have since changed the name to Smore's....don't know why they did as I love "Campfire Marshmallow" for a name.

Trappeur

Now you have me curious. Ive never heard of McCalls so Od love to try that scent. where do I get those candles, on-line ? 

• 1 month later...

Trappeur

I just went on McCalls Candles website. Such a lovely site. The candle wax looks as if its a palm wax, it has a beautiful pattern through  the jar + the colors are so rich

and deep. I like the candles with the handles around the top, very rustic. Love the names of the scents as well. They have wax melts that are in the shape of a thick 

button + they are called buttons as well. I might order 1 or 2 wax melts to try out. Besides the Campfire Smores anyone have favorites they can recommend ?

On 7/4/2017 at 8:07 AM, Trappeur said:

Trappeur

That's my favorite one from mcalls too. I also liked the camp fire marshmallow name much better...would love to make my own that smells as good!

On 7/1/2017 at 9:58 AM, Trappeur said:

Thought I would put up some reviews on my first order from them.

I've read that Oregon Trails has quality oils...not impressed as of yet.  But just like all suppliers, they all have duds.  Seems like I ordered some of them. ha! 

I'm still looking for that "ultimate"  "campfire marshmallow"/"smores".

Oregon had 2 that I ordered as the descriptions were so nice.

I'm using 464 with cd wicks.

Toasty Marshmallow n Hot Cocoa:  After a 2 week cure in 464.....a DUD!   No scent.......What a bummer!

Marshmallows by the Campfire:   Smells just like so many oils out there....just a fire going.....not impressed....I don't smell any marshmallow in the bottle what so ever so

I'm probably going to be disappointed in this one.

Harvest Moon:  Description:  spiced cinnamon, orange, clove with sweet vanilla and a touch of almond...heavenly.

Will be putting in wax today.  Smell delicious......we shall see

Creamy coconut:  Not impressed.  Smells fake to me.   I'll make a candle and see...

Trappeur

I had to laugh at this because I will be smelling Oregon trails bugg off for the rest of my life 😷

I have a stand up freezer from when we used to buy half cows when the kids were younger and I now use it to store all my oils....it's perfect actually because it seals all the stink in BUT my bottle of that stuff ate thru the plastic and went everywhere - thankfully it was sitting in a box of oils I rarely use and was on the fence about ditching so the cardboard got the majority of the 16 ounces but does it ever stink when I open that door now and I cleaned it best I could and wiped every bottle of oil down with soapy water 

yuck 🤢!!! Upside if there is any....hopefully it works and keeps the spiders 🕷 away!

This topic seems older but I remember IT being best for soap. It had a cheaper version of karma that was to be comparable to what was out there at the time but I would say it wasn't terribly strong like what others had. 

I wish I could remember what other oil we tried in candles and were disappointed with. We only soaped the karma one and didn't try the others in soap.

Edited by Scented

Trappeur

You used to sell mccalls candles....they say they use paraffin wax but it looks like palm- what can you tell me about them

I always like to burn the big brands once in awhile and saw some on Amazon - BUT Amazon wants 22 for same candle on their site they sell for 14.50...and here I thought Amazon was always cheaper which could explain my never ending debt to them 😂

Edited by moonshine

18 minutes ago, moonshine said:

You used to sell mccalls candles....they say they use paraffin wax but it looks like palm- what can you tell me about them

I always like to burn the big brands once in awhile and saw some on Amazon - BUT Amazon wants 22 for same candle on their site they sell for 14.50...and here I thought Amazon was always cheaper which could explain my never ending debt to them 😂

Do you have a cabelas nearby? They stock the McCall there. It looks like paraffin (mottling paraffin) in the pictures I have seen. Now I want to buy one...

• Like 1

Cabelas is like an hour and some away from me 😔

I am very curious and ordering a couple direct from them, I wish Amazon wasn't almost double I would have them here by Saturday 😂

I thought maybe molting paraffin...I have seen it on one of the hundred suppliers I've been on lately buying up wax but I never saw one made so I wasn't sure 

Edited by moonshine
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, moonshine said:

Cabelas is like an hour and some away from me 😔

I am very curious and ordering a couple direct from them, I wish Amazon wasn't almost double I would have them here by Saturday 😂

I thought maybe molting paraffin...I have seen it on one of the hundred suppliers I've been on lately buying up wax but I never saw one made so I wasn't sure 

Just order it off the site directly. You guys had me intrigued about this wax so I found some at Candlewic the was only holds 3-5% + says it requires several pours

I thought it was palm wax too with the pretty pattern through the glass. What scent are you thinking of trying ? Now I wanna go to Cabelas lol ! Haven't been there 

in years. Its only about 30 minutes away from me.