Not another paraffin vs soy post

Hello everyone,

I know there is plenty of information on here regarding paraffin vs soy.  Can someone give me a good link to where I can read more on it via here?  My search isn't coming up with what I need.  I know the comparison of them are fairly equal when it comes to tart and candle making.  I just want to know what all of you say to these soy loving paraffin hating believers at a show/event?  What are some of the simple, sweet and short answers to the customers who bash paraffin in your booth while still maintaining professionalism?  I know there has to be general things that you can say that shows you know what you're talking about and able to educate them in the process or even have them stop talking dead in their tracks about it.

I don't want to make you all repeat yourselves or have a "here we go again" with paraffin vs soy thread.  I simply just want advice on how you all quickly put a stop to it while in public to defend your product.

Here are a few. Just search soy hexane in the search bar and a whole slew pop up.

http://www.craftserver.com/topic/110222-soy-wax

it takes a lot of fossil fuel to plant, grow, harvest, transport and primary process beans. Then it takes chemical processes to extract and transform the oils. More fossil fuel to transport the hydrogenated product, then more processing to make wax. And even more to get it to distributors, retailers and then to us. If that is more green than any other wax product, well I am skeptical. 

The soy lobby has done a marvelous job at finding uses for soy beans, candle making is a fringe market for them, but fairly profitable. Too bad it steamrolled better-to-work-with waxes out of the way. 

• Like 1

People love to use the good ole it's natural approach to soy wax. I always ask them if Margarine is considered all natural, or how about Crisco? Then I go on to explain that soy is even further hydrogenated than those two. I left info on Hydrogenation process as well as the use of Hexane to produce the final product. My answer was it's about as natural as plastic. I also noted that crude oil which makes paraffin is a fully biodegradable end product as well and well, it comes from the earth so is just as natural if not more so than soy. Also it's good to point out that EVERY single crop of soybeans has some degree of roundup ready beans that infiltrate it. There isn't an organic soy wax I am aware of.

• Like 9

21 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Here are a few. Just search soy hexane in the search bar and a whole slew pop up.

http://www.craftserver.com/topic/110222-soy-wax

it takes a lot of fossil fuel to plant, grow, harvest, transport and primary process beans. Then it takes chemical processes to extract and transform the oils. More fossil fuel to transport the hydrogenated product, then more processing to make wax. And even more to get it to distributors, retailers and then to us. If that is more green than any other wax product, well I am skeptical. 

The soy lobby has done a marvelous job at finding uses for soy beans, candle making is a fringe market for them, but fairly profitable. Too bad it steamrolled better-to-work-with waxes out of the way. 

Thank you, I was not sure of the best keywords to find it.

18 hours ago, Flicker said:

People love to use the good ole it's natural approach to soy wax. I always ask them if Margarine is considered all natural, or how about Crisco? Then I go on to explain that soy is even further hydrogenated than those two. I left info on Hydrogenation process as well as the use of Hexane to produce the final product. My answer was it's about as natural as plastic. I also noted that crude oil which makes paraffin is a fully biodegradable end product as well and well, it comes from the earth so is just as natural if not more so than soy. Also it's good to point out that EVERY single crop of soybeans has some degree of roundup ready beans that infiltrate it. There isn't an organic soy wax I am aware of.

I have heard of a company named American soy organics, but I am not sure if their wax is actually organic.

There are not any soybeans in the world that are fully organic, same is true for corn. It has to do with how the fields cross-pollinate after so many years of having round up ready beans, next to organic crops. I eat fully organic and have lots of knowledge about the lifestyle, but My dad is a farmer of soybeans and he had lots of say on this issue, including I'm waisting money buying organic cause there is not such thing as organic beans or corn ???.  And both of them are in everything in one form or another!  

• Like 3