Help mushy cottage cheese separating candle?

Just wave a heat gun or hair dryer across the top until the top wax melts.  It will fill in and smooth out as it cools.  If you see holes developing as you heat the top of the wax, then you should poke a skewer or something similar in those holes as there are cavities inside the candle.  I'm talking from experience. :(  Hopefully, you have a little wax left that you can melt and then pour over the top to fill in the cavities as well as the holes that are left from the skewer.

Goldie  

• Like 1

YES I ran out of oil had to run to the local natural food store but  did not expect this I also used a small scale that is more precise and it seemed like all the bottles were short could it be the scale and I way over did the oils ? What if I remelt and repour ? Poking the craters does not sound like a product I can sell :(

31 minutes ago, GoldieMN said:

Just wave a heat gun or hair dryer across the top until the top wax melts.  It will fill in and smooth out as it cools.  If you see holes developing as you heat the top of the wax, then you should poke a skewer or something similar in those holes as there are cavities inside the candle.  I'm talking from experience. :(  Hopefully, you have a little wax left that you can melt and then pour over the top to fill in the cavities as well as the holes that are left from the skewer.

Goldie  

I did that this is after :( the heat gun part !

Edited by Kshaler

I would be really concerned with the amount of wicks you have in that candle.  They look pretty big in size and in my opinion you definitely shouldn't be using 3 wicks...maybe 2....maybe.   What size are they and what is the diameter of that candle?   Have you done 1 wick?   I do a lot of huge containers and I don't use 3 wicks till the container is 6" and up.

Trappeur

10 hours ago, TallTayl said:

oil

Yea I think you might have it there ! There was one on the lemongrass side that was an oil from a co one of the aroma therapists here was promoting and they are small bet it was that was it  darn it what a waste

4 hours ago, Trappeur said:

I would be really concerned with the amount of wicks you have in that candle.  They look pretty big in size and in my opinion you definitely shouldn't be using 3 wicks...maybe 2....maybe.   What size are they and what is the diameter of that candle?   Have you done 1 wick?   I do a lot of huge containers and I don't use 3 wicks till the container is 6" and up.

Trappeur

That is a 22oz candle I started doing3 winks in my 16 oz and up because if I dont they did not burn properly there is probably some sort of gage for that but seems to work for me i use LX18 in my soy candles and the zink equivalent in parrifin it works for me wha t would you suggest in a 22oz soy candle I would be willing to give it a try only been doing this for about a year and a half so I am still a newbie sort of :)

YES I ran out of oil had to run to the local natural food store but  did not expect this I also used a small scale that is more precise and it seemed like all the bottles were short could it be the scale and I way over did the oils ? What if I remelt and repour ? Poking the craters does not sound like a product I can sell 

I agree with TT - sounds like your oil is not compatible with wax. 

A lot of places will dilute/adulterate eo's with alcohol or other binding agents so that they can make more money off the oils, making them useless for our applications as chandlers and soap makers. 

I also agree with Trapp. about the usage of 3 wicks. Seems like overkill to me, but if you've tested and have a nice burning candle with 3 then I guess it's okay. 

I just know as a consumer, I'd be reluctant to buy a candle that 'small' with 3 wicks. 

• Like 1

When I first started making candles, I thought I'd make a rosewood EO soy candle.  Admittedly I didn't measure and just dumped what I thought was a good amount of EO into the wax.  Also admittedly, I didn't know about the differences in quality of EO's.  The oil didn't mix well with my wax and the end result looked kinda curdled, a bit like your candle.  I wasn't concerned with the appearance...thought it looked nicely rustic...LOL.  I lit it, and within seconds the whole top of the candle was on fire.  Volatile stuff.  Pretty sure I singed some hair with that one. 

I'm not saying that's what you've got going on, but if you light it, you might want to take precautions, just in case.

• Like 3

Kshaler......am I reading this correct that you are using essential oils?  and not fragrance oils?  If so, may I ask you why?  I know nothing about essential oils except what I have read here in this forum saying that using essential oils are:  1.  Very very expensive   2.  They burn up the scent very quickly  3.  Problems with finding the correct wick.

I see you are using 464 which I use.  Those 2 fragrance (essential oils) lavender and lemon grass I find are very easy to apply and blend in 464 no problem....I've done it before.  They are beautiful oils (using fragrance oils).  I know you could do a candle using a fragrance oil and not essential oils to produce a luscious candle. 

Now I don't use lx wicks....so can't give a suggestion for you in that 22oz jar as I use cd's.  In that style apothecary jar in using an 8oz jar I can get by with a cd 20 depending on the fragrance oil I use.  Sometimes it struggles.  What finally works best for me using 464 in that jar is 2 cd 5's and works beautiful.  You have a shoulder on that jar so if you use 2 wicks just make sure you put those wicks a little closer together.  If that was my jar I would be testing 2 cd 5's and 2 cd 4's side by side to test or go with a cd 20 or maybe a cd 18.

There are tons here of this forum who use 464 and you can get I'm sure all different suggestions so I would go with what others may make for a suggestion and at least try....

From looking at  your picture my first thought was you poured too fast at too low a temperature, but then you are using essential oils too.

Sometimes my candles will get that look if I do that, but as the candle cools all that cottage cheese tops will harden.  Now looking at the sides of the jar, sometimes if that happens to me, I wait till it is done cooling and those splotches always disappear...that is my thought.....We all have opinions and from my experience, that is what happens to me.

Keep us informed!  We all learn from one another and each others mistakes.  I know I do.  But at least you have some starting points.  Know what I mean?;)

Trappeur

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Kshaler said:

YES I ran out of oil had to run to the local natural food store but  did not expect this I also used a small scale that is more precise and it seemed like all the bottles were short could it be the scale and I way over did the oils ? What if I remelt and repour ? Poking the craters does not sound like a product I can sell :(

Kshaler, poking holes is a standard that so many use before doing a top off (2'nd repour), so there is nothing wrong with that.  It helps to eliviate any possible air pockets that may be in the candle.  Just pour a steady rather slow pour into your jar when you first pour the candle, that's all.   Sometimes I will poke a few holes, but generally I don't have to as I've been doing for so long, I know if I have poured a nice candle.  But if I get in a rush, yep that happens to me.

Good luck and yep, my opinion is 3 wicks is WAY OVERKILL in wicking and my honest opinion, that jar is a disaster waiting to happen.....jar possibly cracking and bursting and a candle up in flames....

I hope you don't take suggestions or comments bad as it is not meant to hurt your feelings in any way, shape or form.  You posting pictures and saying how you made your candle is a great learning for all of us and new comers getting into candle making.  Hey if we didn't make mistakes how the heck would we all learn?  Believe me, the blunders I have done when I started out would make you shutter....:thumbsup2:you go girl!

Trappeur

Edited by Trappeur
  • Like 1

If the oils are not blended into the wax it is a fire ball waiting to happen. Chalk it up to learning. At this point it is an inexpensive lesson at only $21. Think of the expense if it caused injury or property damage. 

when subbing ANY new oil do test on small candles first. They are definitely not all equal. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bfroberts said:

When I first started making candles, I thought I'd make a rosewood EO soy candle.  Admittedly I didn't measure and just dumped what I thought was a good amount of EO into the wax.  Also admittedly, I didn't know about the differences in quality of EO's.  The oil didn't mix well with my wax and the end result looked kinda curdled, a bit like your candle.  I wasn't concerned with the appearance...thought it looked nicely rustic...LOL.  I lit it, and within seconds the whole top of the candle was on fire.  Volatile stuff.  Pretty sure I singed some hair with that one. 

I'm not saying that's what you've got going on, but if you light it, you might want to take precautions, just in case.

Ya I was wondering about that I actually burned one of the smaller ones today that did not look so bad but I watched it very carefully it smell awsome but I watched a bunch of bubbles rise that I suspect it had oil in I wont be selling those !

Thank You so much !

5 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

If the oils are not blended into the wax it is a fire ball waiting to happen. Chalk it up to learning. At this point it is an inexpensive lesson at only $21. Think of the expense if it caused injury or property damage. 

when subbing ANY new oil do test on small candles first. They are definitely not all equal. 

I will and going to order from my regular supplier they will just have to wait !

Again Thank you guys so much !

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Trappeur said:

Kshaler......am I reading this correct that you are using essential oils?  and not fragrance oils?  If so, may I ask you why?  I know nothing about essential oils except what I have read here in this forum saying that using essential oils are:  1.  Very very expensive   2.  They burn up the scent very quickly  3.  Problems with finding the correct wick.

I see you are using 464 which I use.  Those 2 fragrance (essential oils) lavender and lemon grass I find are very easy to apply and blend in 464 no problem....I've done it before.  They are beautiful oils (using fragrance oils).  I know you could do a candle using a fragrance oil and not essential oils to produce a luscious candle. 

Now I don't use lx wicks....so can't give a suggestion for you in that 22oz jar as I use cd's.  In that style apothecary jar in using an 8oz jar I can get by with a cd 20 depending on the fragrance oil I use.  Sometimes it struggles.  What finally works best for me using 464 in that jar is 2 cd 5's and works beautiful.  You have a shoulder on that jar so if you use 2 wicks just make sure you put those wicks a little closer together.  If that was my jar I would be testing 2 cd 5's and 2 cd 4's side by side to test or go with a cd 20 or maybe a cd 18.

There are tons here of this forum who use 464 and you can get I'm sure all different suggestions so I would go with what others may make for a suggestion and at least try....

From looking at  your picture my first thought was you poured too fast at too low a temperature, but then you are using essential oils too.

Sometimes my candles will get that look if I do that, but as the candle cools all that cottage cheese tops will harden.  Now looking at the sides of the jar, sometimes if that happens to me, I wait till it is done cooling and those splotches always disappear...that is my thought.....We all have opinions and from my experience, that is what happens to me.

Keep us informed!  We all learn from one another and each others mistakes.  I know I do.  But at least you have some starting points.  Know what I mean?;)

Trappeur

Hi Yes Essential oils I do do candles with fragrance oil also but this has come about from people asking me to do it ! It was going very well till this happened ! when I use my regular oil that I got from BA Or BB they turn out awesome nice smooth tops and awesome scent ! I will be dumping these as I cant see fit to someone having it be a fire hazard because they diluted with some unknown carrier ! Again I thank all of you you guys are so helpful when I have had and Issue :)

Edited by Kshaler

21 hours ago, Kshaler said:

I made these candles before but not this big can I fix it ! Looks like mashed potatoes 21 dol in e-oil in theese candles please help me

image.jpg

Somehow I missed where you said you have 21.00 in essential oil in this 16oz jar....wow !  And that doesn't even include your wax, jar, wick and labels...Wow...what do you sell them for ?

Now if you went with a fragrance oil for like 20.00 a pound you would only need 1 ounce of fragrance and that would cost 1.25 versus 21.00....   Big savings....

Trappeur

45 minutes ago, Trappeur said:

Somehow I missed where you said you have 21.00 in essential oil in this 16oz jar....wow !  And that doesn't even include your wax, jar, wick and labels...Wow...what do you sell them for ?

Now if you went with a fragrance oil for like 20.00 a pound you would only need 1 ounce of fragrance and that would cost 1.25 versus 21.00....   Big savings....

Trappeur

I know right? The cost of tiny bottles of EO is insane.

I buy essential oils from ThePerfumery.com (they buy direct from distillers). This is where I picked up the oils for the last co-op.

For comparison, Pure Lemongrass Essential Oil is only $17.1o per lb. Lavender 40/42 only $33 per lb.